Thread: First Survival Horror Ever?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default First Survival Horror Ever?

I posted this in the scariest games ever thread in the classic discussions but I think I would get more opinions if posted here.

I have never played a survivor horror game. What should I pop my cherry with that is playable on xbox360 or ps3?

APE992 replied in that thread with "Alan Wake felt a lot like Silent Hill of old in that it actually managed to scare me at points. There is Silent Hill 5 but I'd suggest Alan Wake first."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I liked both, actually.

Though I will admit that Alan Wake was awesome. I recommend playing that first, then Silent Hill Homecoming. Many say Silent Hill is not that good...and it isn't compared to other in the series, but it's still a very good game.

You could also try Dead Space...that game is fucking awesome.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

dead space is good
    F.E.A.R is good too!

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

alan wake imo is only a borderline survival horror game, as in the emphasis wasnt really to scare you but more to tell an engaging story, that being said, whether youre a fan of the genre or not, DEFINITELYYYYYYY play alan wake, that to me is the greatest game on the 360 right now, its the closest thing to heavy rain microsoft is going to get

a light survival horror game to start with might be siren tho, you can download them in chapters off the psn, that way you can get a taste of it and see how you like it, silent hill homecoming is also criminally underlooked, i love that game

edit: i've played pretty much every major and semi obscure (rule of rose) survival horror game there is, and dead space is the only one that genuinely fucks me up, i mean like literally scares me so much i have to turn the game off because i realize i was really tensed up and breathing reallllyyyyyyy reallyyyyyyy slowly lol, that game sets the bar for atmosphere being built up using sound, if you have any kind of entry level sound system of better you'll know what im talking about

those ppl who say deadspace isnt scary in my mind either played it with the lights on during the day and low volume on a small tv or are hardcore adrenaline junkies that should be segregated from society to preserve the general peace lol, that opening elevator moment had me freaking out, made it to chapter 2 and never want to play again
    Last edited by LaughingMAN.S9; 03-29-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

what gets me with dead space and a few other games similar is you'll be walking along a hallway.. and then you'll see a shadow run by your shadow and your like "WTF WAS THAT?!?!"

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Haunted House on the Atari 2600 (kidding!)...
    Alone in the Dark for PC/DOSBox (no, really on this one)...
    Uninvited for NES (OK, so it's more horror/text adventure, but it's still the creepiest 8-bit game evarrr).

Also, Silent Hill 1, 2 & Resident Evil 1, 2.

+1 to Alan Wake. DLC is good too!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Siren Blood Curse. PSN or import the Chinese version for English language version on Bluray. The best survival horror game this gen.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Siren Blood Curse. PSN or import the Chinese version for English language version on Bluray. The best survival horror game this gen.
    Darn it...I still need to search out this game. Been wanting to play it, but I read there are several versions, each with different content (?). Plus, I want the UK or Chinese version, depending on which one is "complete" (if there is any difference between each).
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Go res5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Condemned and Condemned 2 are pretty solid horror games as well as Dead Space, although purists won't consider them survival horror games, although I do. Otherwise, there hasn't really be that many "real" survival horror games this geteration. Alan Wake kind of is, Siren Blood Curse is good if you're willing to track it down (or download it), Alone in the Dark: Inferno and Silent Hill: Homecoming were both disasters.

Oh and can't forget to mention Deadly Premonition, you can get it for $20 or less almost anywhere and has the feel of an old school survival horror game, as well as an open world setting. Don't let the graphics fool you either, the game has one weird story to tell and can be absolutely charming.

If you have a decent PC get Amensia, or find yourself a cop of Silent Hill 2, you'll thank me later.
    Last edited by exit; 03-30-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    alan wake imo is only a borderline survival horror game, as in the emphasis wasnt really to scare you but more to tell an engaging story
    Agreed. Alan Wake was fun, but it wasn't much of a survival horror game.

a light survival horror game to start with might be Siren tho, you can download them in chapters off the psn, that way you can get a taste of it and see how you like it
    If you're busting your survival horror cherry as it were, you might want to avoid Siren, actually. I'll agree that it's awesome; in fact, it's my favorite SH franchise. It's also REALLY FUCKING HARD, and extremely unforgiving. You should totally give it a shot at some point, though.

edit: i've played pretty much every major and semi obscure (rule of rose) survival horror game there is, and dead space is the only one that genuinely fucks me up, i mean like literally scares me so much i have to turn the game off because i realize i was really tensed up and breathing reallllyyyyyyy reallyyyyyyy slowly lol, that game sets the bar for atmosphere being built up using sound, if you have any kind of entry level sound system of better you'll know what im talking about

those ppl who say deadspace isnt scary in my mind either played it with the lights on during the day and low volume on a small tv or are hardcore adrenaline junkies that should be segregated from society to preserve the general peace lol, that opening elevator moment had me freaking out, made it to chapter 2 and never want to play again
    And this is where we basically come to the agreement that you should play Dead Space, because it's awesome and one of the best new franchises in any genre this generation. If I were you, I'd start here. It's forgiving in that you can shoot things very well, it has fantastic atmosphere, the set pieces are fantastic, and the story is pretty great too. Go with Dead Space.

Dead Space 2 is my current pick for game of the year, too. It's less survival horror than Dead Space The First, but it's still amazing.

I'd recommend Amnesia, but like Laughing Man, I'm a survival horror junkie, and Amnesia actually made me scream in a couple places. It's definitely not a game for everyone. If your PC can run it, check out the demo.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 03-30-2011 at 02:37 AM.