Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locations of valuable video game memorabilia?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Locations of valuable video game memorabilia?

So this thread is inspired by stonic's DP library update. I was looking through some of the posters and came across this one:

http://www.digitpress.com/library/po...hworld_vcs.pdf

Which is a poster for Atari's Swordquest Challenge Earthworld....a challenge that announces $150,000 is rewards.

The contest was a 4 part contest. According to Wikipedia, Steven Bell won a gold 18k Talisman valued at $25,000 in one contest, and then in another contest, Michael Rideout won a gold and platinum Chalice also valued at $25,000.

This got me really interested in these types of extremely rare game memorabilia? Do we know the current locations and owners of the Talisman and Chalice?

Can anyone list other highly rare and valuable game items along with its current owners and location. And I'm talking only about things that are Mona Lisa rare, because surely the Talisman and Chalice have got to be one of the rarest items I've read about. Considering the scope and difficulty of the contest, both items have to be worth way more than their base $25,000 value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    So this thread is inspired by stonic's DP library update. I was looking through some of the posters and came across this one:

http://www.digitpress.com/library/po...hworld_vcs.pdf

Which is a poster for Atari's Swordquest Challenge Earthworld....a challenge that announces $150,000 is rewards.

The contest was a 4 part contest. According to Wikipedia, Steven Bell won a gold 18k Talisman valued at $25,000 in one contest, and then in another contest, Michael Rideout won a gold and platinum Chalice also valued at $25,000.

This got me really interested in these types of extremely rare game memorabilia? Do we know the current locations and owners of the Talisman and Chalice?

Can anyone list other highly rare and valuable game items along with its current owners and location. And I'm talking only about things that are Mona Lisa rare, because surely the Talisman and Chalice have got to be one of the rarest items I've read about. Considering the scope and difficulty of the contest, both items have to be worth way more than their base $25,000 value.
    Well I own a replica Brown Box which Ralph Baer made. Only about a dozen of these replicas were made so museums other than the Smithsonian can display them. And of the ones that were made, only a handful are fully functional, which mine is.

I also own a Camera Controller for the NES which was made my Ralph Baer, and as far as I know, it's the only one that exists. This camera is not functional but it was an idea that Ralph had to create a new type of controller for the NES. A picture of it can be found here: http://www.rolentapress.com/memorabi...e%20camera.jpg
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I'm trying to decide if this is serious or not...so I'm going to just say "in before lock."

You're asking us to divulge the specific locations of items that are worth thousands of dollars? Why do the locations matter, exactly? I have an idea why someone would want to know, but let's just say I'm curious.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    I'm trying to decide if this is serious or not...so I'm going to just say "in before lock."

You're asking us to divulge the specific locations of items that are worth thousands of dollars? Why do the locations matter, exactly? I have an idea why someone would want to know, but let's just say I'm curious.
    I don't think he's asking for a specific address. It sounded like a legit post and I think a lot of us would love to know whether or not certain key video game artifacts are actually being preserved. Heck, Rolenta's post was interesting to me as I didn't realize that reproductions of the brown box had actually been made by Ralph Baer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sounds like someone is taking Bonanza Bros. to heart. Better not be stealing any chalices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This was the exact thing I was wondering....
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I have to admit this seems somewhat questionable to me, too.

On one hand, it's cool to know that kind of stuff is still out there. On the other hand, why would anyone need to know where it is? I can't think of any legitimate reasons.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no idea how true it is or not, but I remember reading website on the swordquest prizes a while ago that said that the tailsman was destroyed (melted for scrap) with the exception of a sword decoration. The chaliace supposedly, at least when the page was written, is in a vault and still in the original winners hands.

Actually here's the website. http://www.atarihq.com/2678/swordqst.html

I'm not sure what's inappropriate about the question, it just sounds like honest interest in game history.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Certainly an odd topic to make.

You probably could glean the locations of things like the Final Fantasy Nintendo Powder Contest orbs are, as an example, from auctions in the past 2 years but the point? Those specifically were priced outrageously and most of us would stand little chance of prying them out of the owner's hands.

But locations are pretty much irrelevant. What difference does it make if the owner is in NY versus CA?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't know, I'm really not getting why everyone is weirded out by the question of where this stuff is. Isn't this the sort of thing people discuss here?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I don't know, I'm really not getting why everyone is weirded out by the question of where this stuff is. Isn't this the sort of thing people discuss here?
    thanks Emperor.

Seriously, everyone in here needs to get a life. I asked a serious and legitimate question and you guys respond like a bunch of paranoid trolls.

Some game items have worked their way into museums, although most are still in private collections. Either way, I just wanted to know more about them. Hell, we all know the Louvre has the Mona Lisa, and the Prado has Las Mininas, but apparently, knowing such information arises suspicious in you morons.

And yes, these should be the kind of topics that are discussed here, but there seems to be an overwhelming number of people here that get uptight anytime anyone asks anything.

But back on topic.

thanks for the link vultar. Also, been doing a bit more research. Don't know how many copies of Nintendo Powerfest 94(another rare item) there are, but apparently, there seems to be a collector named jollyrancher who's had his hands on that item.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

this thread sounds like a video game indiana jones style quest!

*puts on worn hat and coat and puts whip at side and gun close by and gets out map*

Jock!! this map says the gold 1990 World Championship NES cartridge is close by!

*Hears rumble as a katamari rolls down collecting random stuff growing bigger....... his eyes grow and runs as fast as he can!... he whips a branch and swings across a pit that the katamari goes down into as the sound of pitfall harry swinging is played.. he lands on the other side.
    He looks around and finds a similar scenario as to mario and looks up to see multiple thwomp's ready to well thwomp him. and he makes another run as they crash down 1 after another... he makes into a room after rolling into it. He looks around as the room seemed silent and in the middle lit by sun light peaking through a crack in the roof is the championship cart on column put in a NES made out of gold as well.... He reaches into his bag and pulls out a generic Super mario bros/Duck hunt cartridge... he thinks about it... and puts it back and gets out a Metroid original release cartridge ...
    He makes his way slowly over to the cartridge and slowly reaches for it with one hand while the metroid cart in the other... he wipes some sweat away.. and then quickly switches them out... and notices nothing happens... he smirks and kisses the golden cart and puts it in his bag thinking that was too easy and slowly casually walks back where he came from...
    Just as the NES lights up and the power light blinks repeatedly and the room starts shaking as if it was gonna implode... and a counter clock appears over his head counting down...
    He screams and makes a run back to which he falls out of the cave with seconds to spare and the whole place collapses on itself all cinematic style.*

it ain't easy being a video game archeologist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

Not that it is anywhere near the rarity/value of the swordquest deal posted above. But I do have one of these Fire Emblem Crystal Etched displays (which can be found at the link).

http://videogamemm.com/main/node/1201

They list it as extremely rare and that 5 were given away at the Nintendo store. However I got mine from a GameStop contest in which we sold more copies of the game then anyone else in either the district or region...(can't remember which) for the first week of launch.
    So there could be like 50...or a few hundred. In the two years + that I have had this item there has been only 1 other one that I've seen, which recently sold for 170 on ebay.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by incubus421 View Post
    Not that it is anywhere near the rarity/value of the swordquest deal posted above. But I do have one of these Fire Emblem Crystal Etched displays (which can be found at the link).

http://videogamemm.com/main/node/1201

They list it as extremely rare and that 5 were given away at the Nintendo store. However I got mine from a GameStop contest in which we sold more copies of the game then anyone else in either the district or region...(can't remember which) for the first week of launch.
    So there could be like 50...or a few hundred. In the two years + that I have had this item there has been only 1 other one that I've seen, which recently sold for 170 on ebay.
    Does it keep going, and going, and going... ?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fontaine Le Funk's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't Arino from Game Center CX do a feature on some rare games? I remember a Rockman 2 gold cart being shown at some local Japanese game store, also he did one on a bunch of Nintendo's game and watches.
    Spoon!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Seriously, everyone in here needs to get a life. I asked a serious and legitimate question and you guys respond like a bunch of paranoid trolls.
    Says the guy who didn't bother to list a location in his profile.

A few collectors here have had their houses broken into, maybe not because of their collection specifically but it does happen. Asking who owns something is one thing but also asking where is kind of weird, only very slightly less weird than also asking for floor plans to their homes too. Being someone who registered somewhat recently doesn't help either.

If I had something extremely rare or valuable I don't think I would even tell anyone else that it's in my possession, at least not anyone that's not a close personal friend or family member.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks Emperor.

Some game items have worked their way into museums, although most are still in private collections. Either way, I just wanted to know more about them. Hell, we all know the Louvre has the Mona Lisa, and the Prado has Las Mininas, but apparently, knowing such information arises suspicious in you morons.

And yes, these should be the kind of topics that are discussed here, but there seems to be an overwhelming number of people here that get uptight anytime anyone asks anything.
    With quality posts like these, I can tell you're going to fit right in here...

Seriously, you can't see what seems a little off about this? I mean, it's one thing to want to know whatever happened to the Swordquest chalice, and get an answer like, "oh, some guy in Kansas has it", but it sounds more like you're looking for, "it's owned by John Doe and here's his hometown!" The fact that you posted it in bold text and specified you were only interested in ultra-rare stuff worth multiple thousands of dollars doesn't help, and the fact that you just joined recently makes it look even more suspect.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm just saying that your question feels inappropriate, and I'm obviously not the only one who thinks so.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seriously, I think everyone acting really paranoid. If someone was planning a break in to someones house, I don't think it would be based off a rare piece of video game history that would most likely have to be resold on this very website for it to be worth anything in the first place. Most people own small jewelry that's worth more then this stuff, and it's much easier to steal that from people.

Also I remember watching an earthbound prototype video where all of the current names and locations of the owners of earthbound protos were listed, and I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to find out where and who owns the NWC carts as well and I'm pretty sure they don't sleep with a shotgun at night. yesh.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really? This is silly. He's just curious as to where pieces of video gaming history are located. Did it ever occur that he might want to ask the person about the story behind their memorabilia or is seeking pictures of the items?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by HappehLemons View Post
    Seriously, I think everyone acting really paranoid. If someone was planning a break in to someones house, I don't think it would be based off a rare piece of video game history that would most likely have to be resold on this very website for it to be worth anything in the first place. Most people own small jewelry that's worth more then this stuff, and it's much easier to steal that from people.

Also I remember watching an earthbound prototype video where all of the current names and locations of the owners of earthbound protos were listed, and I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to find out where and who owns the NWC carts as well and I'm pretty sure they don't sleep with a shotgun at night. yesh.
    Yea right. ADT people. Give them a call shesh.
    Anyways unless said robber was a video game nerd like us they won't even go after that stuff cause they will think it's Old junk that would take to long to sell in the black market so not worth it. They want id's loose money credit cards computers modern consoles that are still hot TV's iPods stuff like that.
    If you talk about " well that chalice is made out diamonds and gold and such" well yea it is but the owner was smart and put in a bank vault problem solved
    Last edited by Collector_Gaming; 04-01-2011 at 02:07 PM.