1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Steel Diver and 2.5D on the 3DS

So, I've been playing Steel Diver a bit over the past couple of days.

For the uninitiated, it's a launch 3DS game that's based on submarine combat. There are three types of games in it. One is a strategy game similar to Nectaris that utilizes sonar as an integral gameplay element. There are also periscope-based battles that use the gyroscope in the 3DS to tell when you're moving the machine itself, simulating what it would be like to look in a periscope and rotate the whole apparatus on a real submarine. The third type of game, and definitely the most interesting, is a 2.5-D side scrolling action game that appears rather similar to the old Hunt For Red October game on the original Gameboy.

I'm posting this thread for a couple of reasons. One is that I don't think there's been a submarine-based game released since the NES era, so I'd like the shed some light on something kind of unique in the current era. The other, more important reason, is that the 2.5-D stages are ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS in 3-D. They are as detailed and atmospheric as the side-scrolling segments in Ecco the Dolphin for the Dreamcast/PS2 (Which is a painfully underrated game in its own right). The 3-D element really adds immersion and depth to this, and I can only imagine what a team like KCET to could do with a MetroidVania-style Castlevania game using this type of engine.

Though I haven't checked myself, I'm sure that Steel Diver is getting shit reviews. Game Informer wrote a little blurb about it in the last issue, saying that they thought it was slow and boring. Maybe it's not for everyone, but it's not boring. The 2.5-D segments are about patience and navigating through tricky areas using the clunky controls of a submarine, and when there's a lot happening on-screen (which occurs during later levels) it gets pretty tense.

Anyway, I think it's pretty cool, and I can't wait to see more stuff like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IGN actually gave it a decent review. The guy reviewing it said that it is slow, but fun once you get into it. I'd actually like to try it myself, but I'm not sure I want to pay $40 for it. That's something that seems to be universal in all the reviews I've seen for pretty much any 3DS game, though.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

It's definitely fun but the $40 price tag stings.

Insert Coin (Level 0) CrazyGamesDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is the only game I've bought for the 3DS so far, and I enjoy it. I definitely think it's better than the reviews it's been getting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

I actually picked this one up on release day, but ended up returning it because it's a game that I believe will end up dropping in price pretty soon. Because of the "slow" pacing, this is one of the games that I think will end up being sold at Gamestop by little kids who don't have the patience for it pretty quickly. That being said I'm hoping to snag it used or discounted soon because I really want this title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't bought it but it really doesn't look much fun beyond a 5 minute play. And definitely in no way is it worth the full retail price. It's great to see new I.P from Nintendo but I expect something more them.

Although I can't say I've ever being that interested naval warfare so perhaps I'd be the wrong person to play this game.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post

One is that I don't think there's been a submarine-based game released since the NES era,
    in the hunt ps1?
    sub rebellion ps2?
    naval assault killing tide xbox 360?
    probably the best would be sub commander ps1.

When i saw steel diver coming out thats what it reminded me of sub commander and so far the only game i want to play on the 3ds so i cant justify its price yet. but glad to here at least some people like it even though the reviews were poo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    ... more important reason, is that the 2.5-D stages are ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS in 3-D.
    Can I ask why this is being referred to as "2.5D" There are only 2 or 3 dimensions, based on math and spatial reference - X, Y, and Z. If the display utilizes all three spatial dimensions, it's 3D. Are we just saying that the depth perception is not well done? Seems like you are saying that they look good in 3D, so I'm confused.

Not trying to be snarky, just looking for an answer since I've seen this written a couple of times since the release on Sunday.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
    Can I ask why this is being referred to as "2.5D" There are only 2 or 3 dimensions, based on math and spatial reference - X, Y, and Z. If the display utilizes all three spatial dimensions, it's 3D. Are we just saying that the depth perception is not well done? Seems like you are saying that they look good in 3D, so I'm confused.

Not trying to be snarky, just looking for an answer since I've seen this written a couple of times since the release on Sunday.
    2.5d means a side or vertical scrolling playfield made of 3d polygons. These kinds of games first appeared in the saturn/ps1 era, clockwork knight being the first game like this I ever saw. Modern examples would be bionic commando rearmed or the psp remake of dracula x: rondo of blood.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not referring to the steroscopic 3D, it's a term used to describe games that have 3D models running on a 2D plane (like New Super Mario Bros).

edit: curses! beaten again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Hunt for Red October is another videogame we've had since then.

And for the simulation fans, we get a new Silent Hunter release every few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Cool! Thanks for the quick answer. I can't believe in a lifetime of gaming that I haven't heard them referred to that way.