Thread: Inexpensive Neo-Geo AES games, is Ebay the only option?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Inexpensive Neo-Geo AES games, is Ebay the only option?

Thanks to fellow Digital Press members, I now have two games for my slowly growing Neo-Geo AES system library. KOF 2000 was my first and Samurai Shodown was my second. Off to a good start, quality titles! Sengoku will likely be next.

Anyhow, is Ebay my only option for inexpensive games, $50 and less? From the cheap, new ebay games Magician Lord, Nam 1975, Ghost Pilots, and ASO II look good. But after these, my little system may not get much of anything. Any shops or other resources I'm missing? I've also created an account on neo-geo.com so the members there can help.

No, I don't want an MVS convertor; No, I don't have room for another arcade cab; no I don't want to consolize an MVS arcade board; no I don't want a uni-bios....

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Unfortionately "cheap" and "aes" don't go well together, at all. That's why you keep hearing those same suggestions as they are one of the few ways to get certain games without paying through the nose.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Unfortunately, you kind of missed the heyday of cheap AES games which happened 5-6 years ago when a mass of warehouse stock from SNK filtered out as did some stock from what used to be Telegames UK. The remnants of the Telegames stuff is still on Ebay being sold by Classic Game Source. Other than Neo-Geo.com and the occasional forum sale here and a few other sites, there just aren't a whole lot of places that still have the cheaper stuff available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I'd actually suggest checking flea markets. Both myself and Robotron (especially him, somehow) have found rather inexpensive AES carts at them.

But yeah, beyond that ebay and forums are your best bet.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ifkz View Post
    Thanks to fellow Digital Press members, I now have two games for my slowly growing Neo-Geo AES system library. KOF 2000 was my first and Samurai Shodown was my second. Off to a good start, quality titles! Sengoku will likely be next.

Anyhow, is Ebay my only option for inexpensive games, $50 and less? From the cheap, new ebay games Magician Lord, Nam 1975, Ghost Pilots, and ASO II look good. But after these, my little system may not get much of anything. Any shops or other resources I'm missing? I've also created an account on neo-geo.com so the members there can help.

No, I don't want an MVS convertor; No, I don't have room for another arcade cab; no I don't want to consolize an MVS arcade board; no I don't want a uni-bios....
    This is me on neo-geo.com ... I have some cheap NGH titles for you to see. If your interested in anything let me know.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221956

The Best Fighter in HISTORY!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Unfortunately, you kind of missed the heyday of cheap AES games which happened 5-6 years ago when a mass of warehouse stock from SNK filtered out as did some stock from what used to be Telegames UK. The remnants of the Telegames stuff is still on Ebay being sold by Classic Game Source. Other than Neo-Geo.com and the occasional forum sale here and a few other sites, there just aren't a whole lot of places that still have the cheaper stuff available.
    Cool to know where all of that came from. Thanks for the history lesson I guess my searches were better than I thought...forums and ebay, check!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Other than some of the earlier mass produced titles, I'm afraid you're 10 years too late into Neo-Geo AES scene.

I started collecting AES as early as 1994 (yes I'm old fart). I wasn't rich (neither now but I'm much better off) but I was able to get all the games released between 1995 and 1998 at MSRP, IMO, during those periods' new releases, if you miss out at launch at regular retail prices, you were screwed, even in early 2000 many of the older collectors regretted passing up some of the games in late 90s. I was able to identify rarest games based on comments from Japanese re-sellers and focused on getting them first rather than the most popular

Right now it's even crazier, games which Shawn had trouble getting rid off for under $300 a piece in early 2000s are commanding upward of $400 and I expect those to keep going up. Other than KOF 2002 Shawn has less than 30 copies of SNK vs Capcom left, I expect this game to go up much higher once he's sold out of it, pretty much all the games' prices kept climbing. Here're some of the prices in comparison between late 90s and now on eBay:

Neo Turfmasters $200 in 1998 - $4750
    Magical Drop 3 $275 in 1998 - $900 (I'm surprised it's not higher because IMO this is one of the best non-fighters out there)
    Metal Slug X $260 in 1999 - $700 (I have seen prices as high as $1000)

If you're looking for games like Overtop (no sunfade), Blazing Stars, Metal Slug, Chibimaruko Quiz, Twinkle Star Sprites, I'm afraid even if you have infinite wallet and are willing to fork out whatever it takes to get the games, you'll not find anyone willing to sell his/her own games unless it's under absolutely necessary due to finance.
    Last edited by vincewy; 04-03-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by vincewy View Post
    If you're looking for games like Overtop (no sunfade), Blazing Stars, Metal Slug, Chibimaruko Quiz, Twinkle Star Sprites, I'm afraid even if you have infinite wallet and are willing to fork out whatever it takes to get the games, you'll not find anyone willing to sell his/her own games unless it's under absolutely necessary due to finance.
    I've seen retro game shops in Japan selling these games before. NOT cheap, but they are there for the taking. Chibi Maruko would be fun to have, just for the "why the hell did you pay money for that" factor.

Anyway, the Collector Cards & Games online shop has some of the more common cheaper Neo Geo games in the under $50 range. You can get a few of the common games there, if nothing else. I've bought from that site before and can vouch for them. They're legit.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, that's my other source. These prices make me happy I have my NeoGeo CD! I'll keep up the hunt, maybe I'll get lucky. So far my collection stands at two! No where to go but up.