Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Supaboy - New SNES handheld from Hyperkin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    The guy has a point. Not about the whole spitting thing...but about their trashy products.

Save your money guys...it's nothing but a piece of junk.

thank you.
    Sorry guys, removed the nastiness from my previous post. Moment of dumb there.

I'm fairly harmless, was just frustrated with how they misrepresented their dedication to following up on their promises.

Again, my apologies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would be great if someone would get this new model and tear it apart and see if there's anything simple those of us who do have the systems with the audio issues can do to fix it. Also, the blatant hatred for Hyperkin/clones seems a little uncalled for. If you're gonna nitpick, pick up a psp for less money than the Supaboy or other clone and emulate. I like playing the actual carts on a handheld I didn't have to build myself or pay someone hundreds for. I have my gripes, but for me, the good outweighs the bad.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by jm77 View Post
    Sorry guys, removed the nastiness from my previous post. Moment of dumb there.

I'm fairly harmless, was just frustrated with how they misrepresented their dedication to following up on their promises.

Again, my apologies.
    That's fine.

As a longtime clone collector, all I can impart is that promises should be taken with a grain of salt. Clones will never be perfect, at least there hasn't been a perfect one yet.

There will always be a handful of games that don't work, and that list typically includes something high-profile/desirable.

There will always be a few hardware/engineering issues like audio/video oddities and there will always be variances in how end-users compare them to the "real thing".

In the case of the SupaBoy, the audio issues in the first production run and early revisions were a major concern and caused the community and the Hyperkin reps that we spoke with ALL a lot of frustration.

It looks like that sound issue is finally resolved, but ultimately this thing may still not be for everybody. There's good stuff in this thread to help people out with their decision making process.

To some The SupaBoy is fine and serves as a decent portable consolized SNES, to some it's a novelty for their collection, but nothing about it, no matter how good or bad should inspire the level of vitriol that I've seen some people express.

While there are some people that wish these things would go away, personally I'd rather these companies both here and in Hong Kong keep making these things and keep revising flaws in future versions based on community input from people like us (or through returns at retail).

Thanks for the apology though.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 07-29-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a Supaboy from a local shop last week. It was in the original plastic packaging, not a carboard box. I think this means its an original version.

The sound is fine. There is a slight (and I mean slight) noise that I hear when the system is on, but it is so minor I really can't complain about it.

The controls are fine, but the d-pad isn't great. It's functional though.

My copy of Super Mario RPG works. I'm not sure why some people say that it doesn't.

It's not a bad piece of hardware. It isn't perfect, but I've played more SNES this weekend than I have in a long time. I beat Star Fox on the Supaboy yesterday and set a few time records in Super Punch Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    My copy of Super Mario RPG works. I'm not sure why some people say that it doesn't.
    You probably have a version 1.0.0 or whatever the first run of Super Mario RPG was, those don't have the same authentication protection in them that later, more common runs have. SNES clones typically work okay with the V1 but not the later versions and I don't believe that there are any physical external indicators on the cartridge to indicate the version number. You have to either boot up the game successfully or dump the rom to tell which version it is.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 07-29-2012 at 06:33 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not 100% but I think you can tell the version of SMRPG by the number stamped on the back label. If it's stamped with an A followed by a number (1?) I believe that means it's version 1.1.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, other than the 2 links given a little earlier, does anyone know of any more places to be able to purchase/order the newest version?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any reviews on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by jm77 View Post
    Just for the record, it's not only a piece of shit, but Hyperkin just sucks.

The first one I received buzzed like hell, the controls were stiff. Shipped it back to Amazon for a replacement.

Got the second one, it had the same issues. I tweeted at Hyperkin, they told me to e-mail one of their media guys. He responded about a week later:

"What I suggest you do is to register your current unit, and if you don’t mind waiting a couple weeks (2-3, hopefully), I will personally see to it that you get a new SupaBoy that has been fully tested with these issues corrected."

A month went by and no response. On the last day I could return the 2nd Supaboy to Amazon, I did just that.

F- this company.

I took the $75 and bought myself a Nexus 7.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Bardoly View Post
    So, other than the 2 links given a little earlier, does anyone know of any more places to be able to purchase/order the newest version?
    http://stoneagegamer.com/

Great service from Stone Age Gamer, I highly recommend!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Someone uploaded a video of the revised Supaboy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwFdcZZ1s_M

As I suspected, the Supaboy is still a piece of crap. Still waiting for the day Hyperkin decides to get their sh*t together and actually make a serious attempt at improving their product. Right now they're just d*cking around with this so-called "revision" bullsh*t.

Stay away from this folks. It's not worth the money.

thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Problems with a single game is no reason to write off the entire system. We all know you can't expect 100% compatibility from a clone. If your love for Street Fighter runs so deep, you've likely got it on another console and prefer to play it with an arcade stick instead of a pad. It's not going to be a dealbreaker for most people considering the purchase of a Supaboy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never mind the fact that SFA2 is quite possibly the worst SF port on the system. Even turbo mode feels like slow motion, and there are goofy pauses at the beginning of every single round.
    Stick to SF2Turbo and Super SF2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sorry to bring back a 2 week dead topic, but I'll be damned if I can't find an answer on this but has anyone extensively tested 'chipped' games with this v2 of the Supaboy?

I'm talking:
    SA1: Kirbys Dream Land 3 and Super Star, other than v1.0 of Super Mario RPG
    FX1: Starfox, Vortex, Stunt Race FX
    FX2: Yoshi's Island, DOOM, Starfox2 repro
    CX4: Mega Man X2&X3

I know the SDD1 works but can be testy, not a big deal it's just one game, but much of the best 1st party and some 3rd use custom parts and if this thing can't handle it I may just have to tolerate the Retro Duo Portable despite its design flaws as I do want a portable non-rom loading portable, or at least prefer it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I just got one in the mail of the new style. I have SFA2 and I know it can work I've seen video of it so I'm not sure what the rant was over, perhaps mine will or not. I read that you need like 3hours to charge it up front or it can become a problem is that true? Will it charge still if plugged in to play? The one sheet manual is kind of a joke not saying much about things other than the absolute basics.

I have most the special chipped SNES releases other than like Top Gear 3000 so I'm going to give it a run here sooner or later.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just saw this... I'll recommend the GOAT Store (of course ) at http://www.goatstore.com for the Version 2. $64.96.

As for the clone system / regular system debate, I personally think that clone systems like this most definitely have a place - I like having the additional options to play games. Generally I find that the people buying them have the original hardware, but want another option. I *love* the fact that I can now take SNES carts and carry them around with me to play them. I don't have to set up a console and run wires everywhere.

Yeah, not every game works, and I could do something similar with emulation... but I *have* the carts already, why not just play what I have? I snapped up one of the first SupaBoys we got in stock to test it with no intentions of keeping one, and I ended up keeping it, light whine in sound and all.

Don't go into it expecting to replace your SNES with this permanently. Go into this expecting another option to playing the majority of your collection.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've done some aggressive testing and I did a write up, and it's posted over at NintendoAge. http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...threadid=82814

The skinny of it, the only 2 games I've found not to work are Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Yoshi's Island. The SDD1 cant decompress the graphics properly and Yoshi oddly crashes at various points but can't really get into gameplay as it just visually degrades to the point of getting stuck.

SA1 games all work, but you have to do a game swapping trick I figured out to get around them not booting up. Basically that SA1 chip is famously known as a lockout of sorts for copy protection among other things including storing some game data to it. Well, if you boot any other game than one on that chip, then press and HOLD reset, you can remove the game and pop in any SA1 title and when you release reset it will boot and work correctly.

I don't have any of the weird chipped Japanese titles, and I don't have the one that is in Top Gear 3000 either, but I've gone through the DSP, FX1, FX2(DOOM works), CX4, and SA1 work. I also have a pirate cart in a US green plastic shell with 7 games (menu says 8 no idea why) and it works fine too.

Has anyone tried to do any internal work on this unit? The d-pad suffers from the same bs that the RDP does where you can push too many directions at the same time. I was wondering if it was possible to possibly do something to the bottom of the d-pad so it rocks better to stop that issue.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

I am really looking into getting one of these as it is said the new models fixed a lot of issues people were experiencing. So I have a few questions prior to my purchase... One does it work with the retrogen Genesis to snes adapter? Two can controllers be used to play on the screen of the device or only on a tv? Three does it work with Starfox Super metroid Legend of Zelda super Mario all stars dk country All the Mortal Kombats and Mega man x? And finally four does it work with the Retroport NES to snes adapter? Sorry it's a lot to ask but also would you recommend this product?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstar Hero View Post
    I am really looking into getting one of these as it is said the new models fixed a lot of issues people were experiencing. So I have a few questions prior to my purchase... One does it work with the retrogen Genesis to snes adapter? Two can controllers be used to play on the screen of the device or only on a tv? Three does it work with Starfox Super metroid Legend of Zelda super Mario all stars dk country All the Mortal Kombats and Mega man x? And finally four does it work with the Retroport NES to snes adapter? Sorry it's a lot to ask but also would you recommend this product?
    Why are you asking questions he's already answered?? Did you not read his post above? He tested all the damn chips and found problems with only 2 games. Use your brain and figure out the rest.

And it's not his responsibility to test any of that other crap you mentioned. Why don't you test them yourself. I doubt he even owns the junk products you listed.

thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    Why are you asking questions he's already answered?? Did you not read his post above? He tested all the damn chips and found problems with only 2 games. Use your brain and figure out the rest.

And it's not his responsibility to test any of that other crap you mentioned. Why don't you test them yourself. I doubt he even owns the junk products you listed.

thank you.
    Easy there Cochise.

We get that threads about clone systems give you a real nerd rage boner, but you need to take it down a notch or you're going to get yourself a time-out.

You're welcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure the RDP is still better than the SupaBoy.