Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Supaboy - New SNES handheld from Hyperkin

Insert Coin (Level 0) Culex4096's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I’m new here to the forums, though I have paid attention to this post in particular for awhile. I admit that like many others when Hyperkin announced the Supaboy I was hyped up for it like nothing else.

I received my unit yesterday and I have had about 8 hours of gameplay on it. Personally I do not believe that it deserves the amount of criticism that it receives. Yes, I more than likely received a later unit and it’s very likely that there are fewer problems with mine. However, taking that into consideration I still particularly like it.

When I unboxed the unit, the first thing I noticed that it feels great, not cheap and perfectly weighted. Bigger than I expected, but still feels pretty good. That brings us to the controls though. The buttons are great and are really responsive. The d-pad however could be better. When I first used the system, it was far too stiff, over time it started to feel better, I don’t know if it’s because it loosened up a little bit or perhaps I just got used to it, but it certainly ended up feeling better. However, it is not as responsive as I would have liked it to be; essentially it feels like the d-pad on any 3rd party SNES pad. Manageable, but certainly not desirable.

Now I must admit that I do not have as many games as I used to, a few years ago I had around 80 games, but when I moved I lost them and had to rebuild my collection. Today I only have about 20 games unfortunately. Almost every game I tested worked pretty well overall and had no probably booting up. Star Fox played fine, but occasionally would encounter graphical issues, nothing major, but still noticeable. Super Mario RPG on the other hand is one of those games that clones always seem to have a problem with and of course everyone wants to know if it works. Unfortunately, I can’t help you there. I have two copies of Mario RPG; one Japanese and one Mexican. However, the only one that runs on the Supaboy is the Japanese one. Now I am not saying that all Japanese ones will run and Mexicans won’t, because I have seen instances where Mexicans will and Japanese won’t. My advice is that if buying the Supaboy in a game store, if there are games you want to work no problem, bring them with you and try them in the system before buying.

There have been some mixed reviews on both the screen and the sound of the unit, and I was concerned about both before I received the unit. I read everything I could, and still wasn’t satisfied I had to see the unit myself. I bit the bullet and in the end I bought the unit off Amazon (though I also recommend Stone Age Gamer). The screen is great. Just big enough and the colors seems pretty accurate overall. To be honest I bought the unit more as an extra SNES home console though. However, one thing I must say and it seems to be a problem with every unit, there is dust underneath the screen. I’m used to it due to a lot of portable clones having dust under the screen, but still it was the most disappointing aspect of Supaboy. So I did buy the system to hook up to a TV, and in terms of a spare or even replacement SNES console, it’s fantastic. Easy to hook up and the fact that you can use your own original SNES controller sold me on the system. Yes, the Retro Duo Portable can take your own controllers as well, but it needs an adapter to do so. An adapter makes a system more complex and bulky, and worst of all if it breaks or if you lose it could be hard to replace. There is no lag when used on a TV, or at least so little that I cannot notice it. However, I use wireless headphones when playing on a TV, and I did notice that the sound while it seems perfectly emulated has a slight buzzing underneath. Not that annoying high pitched squeal everyone seemed so concerned about, but that typical clone buzz. The speakers on the unit itself are certainly clear, though could be a little louder. I assure you though that on my unit there is NO high pitched squeal out of the speakers, the buzzing I heard on the TV does follow though, but the buzzing is so low pitched and quiet that you won’t notice it unless you try to listen to it.

Overall, I like the unit. It has its flaws, but it plays great and is by far the best looking clone system either portable or home console ever. The FC-16 GO was disgusting looking and the Retro Duo Portable looks generic as Hell. The retro look just makes sense…. Though I wish they released a model with red, yellow, green, and blue Super Famicom style buttons . I wish there was no dust under the screen, and if someone knows how to get rid of it I would really appreciate it. That’s really my only complaint about it. One thing I want to bring up though is that I haven’t yet truly tested the battery, so I can’t give you an estimate of battery life. However, BP-4L batteries are cheap and external chargers for BP-4L are cheap too. If someone is concerned about battery life, than they could keep spare batteries on hand. You can get two batteries and an external charger for a little under $10.

Final say; if you have been looking either for a portable SNES or spare console, get it. Wait for the Retro Duo Portable if you want, but personally I think the NES and Genesis functionality (with adapter) is gimmicky, the design is generic, and I have never been too impressed with Retro Bit’s systems.

If you have any question on the unit feel free to ask me 

Update: I just got my Mexican Mario RPG to boot once, but have yet to get it to boot again. I will try to determine why that might be. My Japanese one boots everytime.
    Last edited by Culex4096; 01-28-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Good on you, SoCal Mike. The Supaboy is a disappointment for sure. The real question now is how the RetroDuo Portable stacks up.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboomer View Post
    Well, as a reseller of sorts, The Supaboy and Hyperkin have left a sour taste in my mouth. I decided to sell these on both GameGavel and Ebay as I wanted as many people to have a chance at getting their hands on one of these. I sold quite a few and have had issues with quite a few of them. I do like that companies are introducing products such as this, but if they are going to do it, for heaven's sake, make something that works. I have been reading nothing but bad experience's with SB's and have to wonder why it was even released at all?

I know I speak for others that would like to tell these companies, look, we will pay a higher price for something that is quality and actually works. I would rather pay more for a working, more robust system that will last years and years vs. paying a lower amount for something that is completely hit and miss.

I have received my first 3 negative feedbacks on Ebay and could get more because of this situation. These are my first negative feedbacks in my history using eBay since 1997 (although I hardly used it these days anymore) and am not to thrilled about it. Especially, since Hkin told me they would handle the issues directly with my buyers, which it turns out they did not. I have now emailed the folks who left me negs and have asked them to send the units back to me for a refund and then I will hopefully get my money back form Hkin.

I hate airing dirty laundry in forums and it's not my style but Hyperkin hasn't responded to anything I have sent them in weeks so it is what it is. Maybe this will get them to stand behind their items and take more precautions in their future product releases. I had similar experiences just like this when I sold their GenMobiles.

If any of you purchased a Sboy from me and need a refund or a replacement please let me know and I will keep trying to rectify the situation.
    Man, Kaboomer. Really sorry to hear all of this. I sent the Supaboy I bought from you back to Hyperkin almost a month ago, and have heard back from them maybe once to say "we don't have any in stock to replace it with." Then why in the hell did they set up an RMA for me to begin with? In any case, I don't hold you responsible and I'm sorry eBay users are. It's not your problem, and some people react too quickly to situations they don't know anything about.

On the plus side, I will say your copy of Super Mario RPG works 100% of the time on my Pokefami DX

I haven't gotten to test it on a Supaboy yet, but as I will likely only ever fire the Supaboy up 1 more time to do a video comparison to the Pokefami DX and Retro Duo Portable (if Hyperkin ever sends it back to me), and then it's off to the closet, because I know if I try to sell it, it'll be nothing but heartache.

In any case, to those who've been following this thread recently because of my PDX posts (or PFDX as Satoshi_Matrix has called it), I'm setting up to do my video review now. Once it's done and edited together (hopefully tomorrow), I'll be making a standalone post for it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default pokefami dx review is up

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...English-Review

As I've finally started a Pokefami DX thread, I won't be posting anymore in the rdp or supaboy threads, except where it pertains directly to those two devices.

Enjoy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that I have had some more time to play around with the Supaboy, I decided to try Mario Paint. The game boots no problem, but my mouse doesn't work. It works perfectly on my SNES, but doesn't register at all on the Supaboy. Anyone else have similar experiences?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default new Supaboy interview from CES

http://blip.tv/arturpalma/ggbr-speci...erview-5923454

Anyone else see this interview? This guy is claiming 5.5 hours of play time from that dinky batter, which we all know is a crock.

I emailed Hyperkin again this morning. They've had my Supaboy for a month and their head of Customer Service refuses to update me on the status of my repair/exchange. I will never, ever buy a Hyperkin product again.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I just got my replacement unit in the mail today.

Tested it with all my games and ..... FANTASTIC! NO SQUEALING!

I know that some of us have had a tough time getting through to Hyperkin during and post holiday-season, so I guess I was fortunate in getting through to them and the whole process being pretty painless.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

I know that some of us have had a tough time getting through to Hyperkin during and post holiday-season, so I guess I was fortunate in getting through to them and the whole process being pretty painless.
    The one I had was flawless as well, though I returned it to get the RDP since I've been getting into Genesis recently and I need something to play portably on..... I've already got the Retrogen so I'll see how that is I suppose. I do admit though the Supaboy I had was really awesome and if it were less money I'd probably have kept it, but an extra $10 to get NES and Genesis compatibility, and two controllers (I'm a sucker for strange controllers), seemed worth it to send it back. I've never been a fan of Retro-Bit, but if this unit is really similar to the PDX than it has to be awesome. It's a shame though cuz I really wanted to love the Supaboy, if only for it's amazing design XD
    Last edited by Culex4096; 02-08-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Before we all start hating you for being the only one of us with a buzz-free Supaboy, test it out with Super Mario World. There are some games that mask the buzz pretty well, but not Mario World. It'll be ever present in Mario World if you have it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, my Supaboy came in today. Of course, I didn't bring any SNES games or the Everdrive to work with me, because I was anticipating a bunch of Famicom stuff (got Super Mario Bros. USA + 3, Gimmick!, Mr. Gimmick repro, Donkey Kong Pie Factory Repro, and Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou!!!! But still no Famicom...lol), so I can't really test it. But I'm going to be cautiously optimistic here and say I think the sound is fixed, just based on putting headphones in and turning the machine on. Having said that - and I don't know if this is just because the buttons are way better on the Pokefami DX - the d-pad and shoulder buttons feel significantly worse than I remember.

I'll test a few games on the unit (including Super Mario World as S_M suggested) for sound and battery life, but in all likelihood, I will be selling this soon. Keep an eye out on the B/S/T thread!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Before we all start hating you for being the only one of us with a buzz-free Supaboy, test it out with Super Mario World. There are some games that mask the buzz pretty well, but not Mario World. It'll be ever present in Mario World if you have it.
    No buzz in Mario World or Mario All Stars.

Or Star Fox, or Saturday Night Slam Masters.

Those are the only SNES games I have out of hard storage at the moment, but I'm pretty satisfied that the buzzing is not masked, it's completely non-present in this unit.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry

No buzz in Mario World or Mario All Stars.

Or Star Fox, or Saturday Night Slam Masters.

Those are the only SNES games I have out of hard storage at the moment, but I'm pretty satisfied that the buzzing is not masked, it's completely non-present in this unit.
    You truly are the only one here. Tested my Supaboy when I got home. The buzz is still present. I'm not going to bother testing it any further.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    I'll test a few games on the unit (including Super Mario World as S_M suggested) for sound and battery life, but in all likelihood, I will be selling this soon. Keep an eye out on the B/S/T thread!
    I kinda miss mine and so I'd certainly be interesting in buying it. I'll pay attention to the B/S/T board then.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Culex4096 View Post
    I kinda miss mine and so I'd certainly be interesting in buying it. I'll pay attention to the B/S/T board then.
    Cool. I'll put it up tomorrow.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Supaboy for Sale!

My Supaboy is up for sale here, along with a few other things:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...26#post1892326

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If anyone is still considering a Supaboy, I just found them for cheap. Play N' Trade's website has them for $60 plus a few dollars for shipping. Here's the link http://www.playntrade.com/product.php?productid=1677

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I had a SupaBoy, I'd have fixed the sound problem by now, and write a modding tutorial, just like I did with the Retro Duo NES sound fix.
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 02-16-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I don't mean any offense, but that's quite a statement since the audio buzz is produced by the clone soundchip. Its not a simple matter of just adding in an audio dampener as is the case with the RetroDuo.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I don't mean any offense, but that's quite a statement since the audio buzz is produced by the clone soundchip. Its not a simple matter of just adding in an audio dampener as is the case with the RetroDuo.
    Not taken..Actually, the TCT- chips are 1:1 copies of the SNES PPU's and CPU, all SNES clones that I've seen use them..Its definitely not a sound chip issue, but rather a poorly amp circuit or bad design..Believe me, I know my clones ...
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    If I had a SupaBoy, I'd have fixed the sound problem by now, and write a modding tutorial, just like I did with the Retro Duo NES sound fix.
    Someone should buy this guy a Supaboy. Preferably, someone who is, unlike me, employed.

Seriously, though, a sound fix would be superb. Also would be nice if Hyperkin would offer spare screen covers like Nintendo used to offer for Game Boys. I've been chatting with tofu about that via PMs. To me, though, the good in this system far outweighs the bad.