Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Supaboy - New SNES handheld from Hyperkin

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So , is it pretty much confirmed that the retail units have buzzing sound issue?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

According to Tofu representing Hyperkin, only some of them do.

However, this is inconsistent with everyone I've spoken to that owns own, and is also inconsistent with my own experiences as the unit that Hyperkin sent me as a replacement for a system with the buzzing sound.....has the buzzing sound.

I imagine that eventually this issue will be fixed and less and less units will have this audio buzz, but as of right now, I'd hazard a guess that at least 70% if not more of all the Supaboys in existence have this issue.

in fact, if anyone here has a Supaboy that does NOT have the audio buzz present in games like Super Mario World or Mario All Stars, please let me know. Based on this thread, there doesn't seem to be a single Supaboy owner that owns a perfectly functional unit.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    According to Tofu representing Hyperkin, only some of them do.

However, this is inconsistent with everyone I've spoken to that owns own, and is also inconsistent with my own experiences as the unit that Hyperkin sent me as a replacement for a system with the buzzing sound.....has the buzzing sound.

I imagine that eventually this issue will be fixed and less and less units will have this audio buzz, but as of right now, I'd hazard a guess that at least 70% if not more of all the Supaboys in existence have this issue.

in fact, if anyone here has a Supaboy that does NOT have the audio buzz present in games like Super Mario World or Mario All Stars, please let me know. Based on this thread, there doesn't seem to be a single Supaboy owner that owns a perfectly functional unit.

I've been watching this thread for a while about all the buzzing problems, however I never noticed anything on mine. I fired up Super Mario World and All Stars, cranked up the volume to max and nothing. I also tried it with some Sennheiser headphones, also fine. I'm pretty sure I don't have a hearing problem, lol. However if I put my ear right on the speaker, I can hear some buzz. At a normal distance though I don't hear any sound problems. Is that the buzzing everyone is talking about? I was also wondering if there are any youtube videos that display this annoying buzzing?

Just FYI, I preordered my Supaboy early and I guess I got one of the first batches. I got mine through Amazon, although I see people who did order from Amazon with this annoying problem.

In addition, I'm pretty nit picky when it comes to home theater video and audio gear. I've gone through lots of effort with various extra processors and equipment. Just to frame my perspective that I do have some standards lol.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 01-08-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyOwnz View Post
    Alright, so my new SupaBoy came in the mail today. I honestly have to say the buzzing isnt as detrimental as everyone seems to complain about. Sure its there, but if your not putting the volume all the way up (which you probably shouldn't anyways) its not so bad. I seemed to forget about it after a couple minutes. The only time I was hearing it was when I asked myself, "is it buzzing?" The buzzing however does not transfer over when you use it as a console (hooked up to the TV, or if it does its not coming out of the TV). I've only been able to play Secret of Mana as thats the only SNES game I own and after a couple finicky starts right out of the box, it boots up first time all the time. The controls are responsive and the D-Pad works really well even though it feels stiff in comparison to the buttons.

The feeling I got when I opened was something that I havent felt in years. To me it was like getting a super nintendo all over again. I couldn't wait to have a game to pop into it. So I made my way to my local collectibles/pop-culture store and bought a copy of Secret of Mana. Got home popped it in and fell in love again. Super Nintendo has and will probably always be my favorite console ever and honestly the SupaBoy did not disappoint me in the least.

On the whole I'd say I'm very satisfied with my purchase and cant wait to start increasing my library of games.
    So last night I was playing Secret of Mana on my SupaBoy when the screen decided it wanted to get all wavy and go ape shit. So I shut it off only to find out it didnt want to start right back up, so after about 20 mins of fidgeting with it I got it to work again, but not until my save files were erased from having to turn on/off the system so much.... I'd like to know if this is a major issue and should I send my supaboy back?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyOwnz View Post
    So last night I was playing Secret of Mana on my SupaBoy when the screen decided it wanted to get all wavy and go ape shit. So I shut it off only to find out it didnt want to start right back up, so after about 20 mins of fidgeting with it I got it to work again, but not until my save files were erased from having to turn on/off the system so much.... I'd like to know if this is a major issue and should I send my supaboy back?
    From my experience; this is the SupaBoy's way of telling you it needs to be recharged. Plug it in, and you should find it boots up normally. I'd be curious to know why no kind of LED low power warning light was thought to be included, as I had the exact same moment of panic when I encountered this freaky-screen phenomenon as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Akito01 View Post
    From my experience; this is the SupaBoy's way of telling you it needs to be recharged. Plug it in, and you should find it boots up normally. I'd be curious to know why no kind of LED low power warning light was thought to be included, as I had the exact same moment of panic when I encountered this freaky-screen phenomenon as well.
    That was my first notion, needing to be recharged. But in the process of finding this out I lost my battery saves in Secret of Mana.... Not too big a deal, still backtracked me about an hour. But thank you for clarifying this for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

So here's my Supaboy in depth video review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAxAu6kx7Zg

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's super weird about diagonals. I know that was very much my experience with the FC-16 Go, which bummed me out quite a bit, and even the version 2 had very stiff controls. After seeing your video I went and popped in Gradius III just to be sure, because I'd been playing Super R-Type with the SupaBoy already and didn't notice that problem. I can't say I had any problem with diagonals either with Gradius III.

Although, having said that, I did (and occasionally still do) have the experience of pushing to the left and having it read as down (so Mario would duck instead of moving left). This has been less of a problem as time has worn on. I think it is fair to say that build quality is still a prominent issue with these clones, which is even more of a shame now that the price points have started to rise.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you actually have Earthbound to test with? You claimed that the SupaBoy wouldn't run Earthbound properly, but I played for about 10 hours without running into 4x enemies. I've since completed the game, and once mine comes back from Hyperkin, I'll load up the final battle on the SupaBoy...I doubt it's going to delete my save. Once I verify this, I'd recommend you should annotate your video to mention that Earthbound doesn't actually have any problems with the Supaboy.

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's disappointing about your review, Satoshi Matrix. I had high hopes for the SupaBoy, but, in my mind, the FC 16 Go is a better replacement SNES since the wireless controllers are so good. The portable sucks, but the wireless is awesome. Since it sounds like this portable sucks too, I guess I'll be waiting on the RDP reviews to see if I want one of those. The whole cartridge adapters thing sucks on that though....at least on paper. Maybe it'll be ok, but I don't have any problems with my FC Mobile 2...except the screen size.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, my EB cart works perfectly fine on my SupaBoy as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After seeing the pokefami DX in action I have to say to all users here, check it out instead. The screen warmth appeared more natural looking and the form and size of the system is pretty good. I might buy one myself eventually.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default in other news...

Quote Originally Posted by Taiyaki View Post
    After seeing the pokefami DX in action I have to say to all users here, check it out instead. The screen warmth appeared more natural looking and the form and size of the system is pretty good. I might buy one myself eventually.
    I haven't heard anything from Hyperkin about the status of my Supaboy (I will email Lawrence...right now!), but my Pokefami DX finally shipped, after almost a week and a half after I placed the order (there was some confusion about whether I wanted the fami/md adapters right away, which I don't.) Looks like it's right on track to get here by the end of January.

Wonder which one will arrive first?

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where's the best place to buy a Pokefami DX?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ebay

Quote Originally Posted by nickerous View Post
    Where's the best place to buy a Pokefami DX?
    right now, ebay and Amazon are your only options; eBay is the cheapest list price at about $135 + shipping. Search my posts and you'll find a link to the current auction, which doesn't list them as pokefami dxes, but Super Famicoms.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just received my Supaboy from Stone Age Gamer, and the high pitch noise is godawful, which even plays through headphones... I also seem to get some weird lines on the screen playing Star Fox, yet Stunt Rally FX plays just dandy. The unit also doesn't play Mario RPG and Kirby Superstar (I'm 99.9% sure that these are 1st rev.) I'll have to check back up on Yoshi's Island for issues, but none so far. Mario RPG has the number 34 punched in the back label and KSS has a 40 stamped in the back. I bought this assuming I was right with the 1st software revisions on both...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coreykun667 View Post
    I just received my Supaboy from Stone Age Gamer, and the high pitch noise is godawful, which even plays through headphones... I also seem to get some weird lines on the screen playing Star Fox, yet Stunt Rally FX plays just dandy. The unit also doesn't play Mario RPG and Kirby Superstar (I'm 99.9% sure that these are 1st rev.) I'll have to check back up on Yoshi's Island for issues, but none so far. Mario RPG has the number 34 punched in the back label and KSS has a 40 stamped in the back. I bought this assuming I was right with the 1st software revisions on both...
    from what i recall, the stamps only mean what factory the games were assembled at, not which revision.

I recently received Kaboomer's copy of Super Mario RPG - one that works on a Supaboy. I don't have my Supaboy to test right now, but I can confirm from watching his video that it's the same cartridge. Having said that, when I opened up both copies of the game that I have, the insides are using the same PCB revision, though the chips look slightly different. I honestly don't know how to differentiate between a clone-compatible copy and a non-working copy. Sigh.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Received my Supaboy yesterday. Seems like a good product - except for the loud buzzing sound which occurs even when using headphones Disappointed. I hope there will be some kind of fix that I can do myself (like the mods to improve the Retro Duo NES sound). I'm not expecting it to be easy or cheap to get it replaced since I'm in Europe.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    from what i recall, the stamps only mean what factory the games were assembled at, not which revision.

I recently received Kaboomer's copy of Super Mario RPG - one that works on a Supaboy. I don't have my Supaboy to test right now, but I can confirm from watching his video that it's the same cartridge. Having said that, when I opened up both copies of the game that I have, the insides are using the same PCB revision, though the chips look slightly different. I honestly don't know how to differentiate between a clone-compatible copy and a non-working copy. Sigh.
    Someone told me that if there's just a 2 digit number, then it's a first rev. and the later ones had an "A" stamped too. Guess I'm wrong then. I just found out that the ones that say "Made in Mexico" work? Figures with my luck...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Tempy View Post
    Received my Supaboy yesterday. Seems like a good product - except for the loud buzzing sound which occurs even when using headphones Disappointed. I hope there will be some kind of fix that I can do myself (like the mods to improve the Retro Duo NES sound). I'm not expecting it to be easy or cheap to get it replaced since I'm in Europe.
    Sorry, there isn't any fix. It's problem with the hardware itself. You need to get the entire unit replaced and hope your replacement doesnt have the same damn problem. Thats what happened to me. i sent mine back for replacement, and the replacement system still has the buzz.