Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

??whereistofu??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm here but I got in trouble last time for revealing too much so I'll stick to lurking.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Got one today at the DP Store.

Comes with a "stylish" felt draw-string bag that you can carry your system, AC adapter, AV cables and a bunch of D20 in.

The Good:
    Love the size of the unit, feels like a cross between a LYNX - one of my all time favorite portables and an original GBA (shoulder buttons and all).

Nice screen resolution, good static brightness, great buttons and D-Pad (firm and slightly oversized in comparison to a SNES pad)

Good weight, feels solid. Very little cart wobble if any with the "lock" slider engaged.

Tested it with three games (Super Mario All-Stars, Saturday Night Slam Masters and Star Fox) and all worked perfectly.

The Bad:
    The built in-speaker volume is very very low.

My unit has a high-pitched "whine" emanating from some of the on-board electronics. It's not terrible to the point of distraction, but it's there. I don't know if this is an issue across all of them, but as Joe only got one in I'll have to wait and see with a different one.

The LCD screen must be fit so closely to the other electronics that pressing the buttons and D-pad occasionally cause some noticeable "pressure" on the screen in spots (like when you press your finger against a laptop screen) ... it's also not terrible to the point of distraction, but I'm a pretty tolerant guy when it comes to decent clone systems.

The Unknown:

I haven't plugged it into a TV or plugged any SNES controllers into it, so I can't attest to its quality as a console SNES, but I assume that it's as good as it is as a portable one.

I don't have a huge amount of SNES carts to test it with, but I'll try it out with the SuperPak at the next NAVA and report back.

Overall if like me you're not a huge fan of the DS style Super FC16 Go physically and you prefer 1 piece, hinge-less LYNX/GBA/Game Gear/PSP style portables this seems to be pretty nice considering it has a rechargeable battery and doubles as an actual SNES console that will accept 2 standard SNES controllers.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How much did it cost?
    Does it work with flash carts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah, looks like it's going to be on here soon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, the Super Everdrive flashcart works fine on the Supaboy !!! This units are prototypes !!! And yes, works fine on a TV. I test the prototype #9.
    http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    How much did it cost?
    Does it work with flash carts?
    I think MSRP is $80 currently. I haven't tried but apparently yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryog View Post
    Yes, the Super Everdrive flashcart works fine on the Supaboy !!! This units are prototypes !!! And yes, works fine on a TV. I test the prototype #9.
    These are prototypes? That seems odd considering that they're fully packed in their retail boxes ... but would explain why mine had a big sticker on the front that said "#33"?
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 09-04-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Frankie, very very important question! How vivid is the output to the screen? I own a Yobo FC-16 GO which is another bulky portable SNES. It outputs a slightly blurry/fuzzy image to the screen because it feeds composite video to the screen, not the superior RGB. My one major hope for the Supaboy is that it's screen is being feed crystal clear RGB and not blurry composite. How clear is the LCD to your eye? Try out FFII (IV) to see how clear that white text on the blue field looks and also games with huge cartoony sprites like Megaman 7. PLEASE let me know! Thank you!

I really am hoping that the internal screen isn't being feed a composite signal like the FC-16 GO.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Frankie, very very important question! How vivid is the output to the screen? I own a Yobo FC-16 GO which is another bulky portable SNES. It outputs a slightly blurry/fuzzy image to the screen because it feeds composite video to the screen, not the superior RGB. My one major hope for the Supaboy is that it's screen is being feed crystal clear RGB and not blurry composite. How clear is the LCD to your eye? Try out FFII (IV) to see how clear that white text on the blue field looks and also games with huge cartoony sprites like Megaman 7. PLEASE let me know! Thank you!

I really am hoping that the internal screen isn't being feed a composite signal like the FC-16 GO.
    Well, here's some mildly disappointing news,

When plugged in to a TV my Supaboy can ONLY be used with SNES control pads. Since the system itself doesn't come with any instructions I can only assume that this is normal operation.

I was kind of hoping that it would function like a NOMAD or PSP and allow you to control the games via the controls on the unit itself.

The good news is that it functions fine with SNES pads.

As far as the video output, it's standard AV output and where that is concerned it's about as good as most SNES clones I have.

The colors look good, there doesn't seem to be any distortion in the graphics (no screen tearing on fast scrolling) and the colors are pretty rich.

Unfortunately on my HDTV there's that standard color bleed that you see in most composite systems.

I'd say that the output is average. Nothing that wows me but I'm not put off by it. Sound is good and doesn't seem to carry over that high frequency whine that's coming from the unit when used by itself.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 09-05-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So is there any word of an official release date yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Oh no Frankie, you misunderstood. I meant how good is the video output to the built-in LCD screen. Is THAT RGB or composite? If it's composite it'll be slightly blurry/fuzzy. Please test out games with small white text (Final Fantasy II works best) and games with big sprites like Megaman 7. Please let me know the quality of the video to the internal screen. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Well, here's some mildly disappointing news,

When plugged in to a TV my Supaboy can ONLY be used with SNES control pads. Since the system itself doesn't come with any instructions I can only assume that this is normal operation.

I was kind of hoping that it would function like a NOMAD or PSP and allow you to control the games via the controls on the unit itself.

The good news is that it functions fine with SNES pads.

As far as the video output, it's standard AV output and where that is concerned it's about as good as most SNES clones I have.

The colors look good, there doesn't seem to be any distortion in the graphics (no screen tearing on fast scrolling) and the colors are pretty rich.

Unfortunately on my HDTV there's that standard color bleed that you see in most composite systems.

I'd say that the output is average. Nothing that wows me but I'm not put off by it. Sound is good and doesn't seem to carry over that high frequency whine that's coming from the unit when used by itself.
    So what happens when you connect controllers when using the built in screen?
    Do the built in controls still work as player 1, and the controller connected to the second port acts as player two?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Finally, Hyperkin is offering a portable SNES.

My comments/questions.

1. First and foremost: MOVE THE START BUTTON. That's about as bad as the swapped buttons on the original FC Mobile (I know, not HK's fault). Pressing Start with your left thumb isn't how the console has been played... ever. Put in a game that uses Start often, one that you have played for a long time (say... Megaman X), you'll see what I mean right off the bat. (I am assuming that the two buttons on the left are Select/Start respectively with the Reset over on the right.)

2. SuperFX, does it work?

3. Super Gameboy, does it work?

4. Does it accept Super Famicom games?

5. Game Genie?

/soapbox
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Oh no Frankie, you misunderstood. I meant how good is the video output to the built-in LCD screen. Is THAT RGB or composite? If it's composite it'll be slightly blurry/fuzzy. Please test out games with small white text (Final Fantasy II works best) and games with big sprites like Megaman 7. Please let me know the quality of the video to the internal screen. Thanks!
    AH. The screen on the unit seems to be very crisp/clear. I'll test it with more games at this month's NAVA and report back later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabz5150 View Post
    Finally, Hyperkin is offering a portable SNES.

My comments/questions.

1. First and foremost: MOVE THE START BUTTON. That's about as bad as the swapped buttons on the original FC Mobile (I know, not HK's fault). Pressing Start with your left thumb isn't how the console has been played... ever. Put in a game that uses Start often, one that you have played for a long time (say... Megaman X), you'll see what I mean right off the bat. (I am assuming that the two buttons on the left are Select/Start respectively with the Reset over on the right.)
    I haven't noticed any major issue with the buttons there, but at least they're not in a prone location to be accidentally hit.

2. SuperFX, does it work?
    Yes.

3. Super Gameboy, does it work?
    Yes.

4. Does it accept Super Famicom games?
    Yes.

5. Game Genie?
    Don't know, don't own one. Will add it to my list of things to test at NAVA.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    So what happens when you connect controllers when using the built in screen?
    Do the built in controls still work as player 1, and the controller connected to the second port acts as player two?
    Hmm ... not sure, need to test that scenario.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Front

Supaboy + Super Everdrive

Chrono Trigger rom with spanish translation patch

Dragon Quest 3 rom with english translation patch

Super NES Starfox with Super FX chip.

Super Famicom PC Gengin 2 (Bonk's Adventure 2)

Super Gameboy (US) with Gameboy game (Jap)

http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Since GameGenie temporarily changes the inputs the cartridge is sending and isn't based on any system hardware, I'd say its safe to assume GG will work fine on the SupaBoy.

By the way, has the system been released? Where can I find one?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The most amazing unplayable tower ever

Alright, here's what you do.

You plug in an X-Band, SNES Game Genie, Super Noah's Ark 3D, Game Saver, Super Gameboy, GB Game Genie, and a Gameboy Camera.

???

Profit!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

I haven't noticed any major issue with the buttons there, but at least they're not in a prone location to be accidentally hit.
    Its just not laid out correctly. Your natural reflex is to press the start button with your right thumb, so if you've played a game for a long time, chances are you're gonna get frustrated quick... especially since the first thing you're going to go for is that reset button.
    Wants:
    Starflight II Starmap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Sabz5150 View Post
    Its just not laid out correctly. Your natural reflex is to press the start button with your right thumb, so if you've played a game for a long time, chances are you're gonna get frustrated quick... especially since the first thing you're going to go for is that reset button.
    Perhaps it's because in recent years I've possibly played more SNES on emulators and other consoles like Wii than with actual SNES pads that where I'm PERSONALLY concerned that I completely disagree with your assessment that I'm going to get frustrated.

I've played with this thing for a while and I have had zero instances of frustration when reaching for the start button.

It may be a deal breaker for you, but not for me.

Since GameGenie temporarily changes the inputs the cartridge is sending and isn't based on any system hardware, I'd say its safe to assume GG will work fine on the SupaBoy.

By the way, has the system been released? Where can I find one?
    Apparently it's not fully out yet, I have one of 100 early release units sent to select Hyperkin product dealers, mine is #33. I and other people who got their hands on these are going to participate in a report on the quality/build of the product soon that may affect the final product.

It may go through some final revisions before the full commercial version hits the market, and frankly it could use some tweaking where the audio output is concerned so keep your fingers crossed that my input to Hyperkin doesn't fall on deaf ears!!
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 09-08-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Perhaps it's because in recent years I've possibly played more SNES on emulators and other consoles like Wii than with actual SNES pads that where I'm PERSONALLY concerned that I completely disagree with your assessment that I'm going to get frustrated.
    I do very little, if any, emulation. Original hardware all the way. That is probably the main reason why our opinions differ. Don't be a messin' with my button layouts! Again, stepping off of my soapbox.

I've played with this thing for a while and I have had zero instances of frustration when reaching for the start button.

It may be a deal breaker for you, but not for me.
    I'll buy one the instant I see it on a shelf, no doubts there. Everything else about the system is excellent (and I like Hyperkin). I'll just do what I did with the original Mobile and rewire the board.
    Wants:
    Starflight II Starmap