Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Supaboy - New SNES handheld from Hyperkin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A rather sharp looking handheld that I wouldn't mind Santa dropping into my stocking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Cryog, thansk fro posting those pictures! Since you have a flashcart there, can you please post some close ups of text in Final Fantasy II and the huge sprites in megaman 7? That screen is looking to be RGB to me - is that what you would conclude as well?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got to hold and look at one today in a game shop. I was probably going to buy this thing anyway, but I can honestly say that I really like the feel, look and aesthetic. I didn't get to see the system turned on, but I really like the feel of it in your hands. The D-pad did feel bigger, but that is a small gripe in the face of a great looking system.

I already have the FC-16 Go Model 2, (Model 2 is far superior - switched from mono to stereo sound, got bigger shoulder buttons, among other fixes), and it is actually not a half bad system. The clamshell design keeps the screen from getting beat up and it is fairly light weight.

To me, the Supaboy sells itself on its ability to be plugged into a TV and actually be functional with real SNES pads. The controllers that came with the FC-16 Go were too unresponsive to use, even for a little bit. I'm already sold on the idea of being able to take my SNES games with me when I travel, maybe even plugging them in to a TV at a hotel when I'm done flying, ya get me?

I'm excited. I'll buy this one for sure
    - Chris
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheesystick View Post
    The controllers that came with the FC-16 Go were too unresponsive to use, even for a little bit.
    Really? I love the wireless controllers included with the FC 16 Go. Both versions really nailed the wireless controller, imo.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

How's the battery life on this thing? And what type does it take? Looks really cool, but if it sucks up AA's like a GameGear, I'll pass.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    How's the battery life on this thing? And what type does it take? Looks really cool, but if it sucks up AA's like a GameGear, I'll pass.
    It's a removable, rechargeable li-On battery similar to the one in the FC16Go.

I haven't run it completely down in one session but similar to the FC16Go I suspect you'll get 3-5 hours on one charge.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Wait so the Supaboy is out now? News to me. I haven't seen it for sale anywhere. Anyone know where I can buy one and how much it costs?

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    It's a removable, rechargeable li-On battery similar to the one in the FC16Go.

I haven't run it completely down in one session but similar to the FC16Go I suspect you'll get 3-5 hours on one charge.
    Thanks. I'm not really familiar with the FC16Go, but from the description it sounds like a battery similar to a DS or a PSP, rather than say AA's, which is really all I needed to know anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I'm confused - is the Supaboy out now? I can't seem to find it for sale ANYWHERE. I want to buy one now if anyone knows where I may be able to get one/is able to act as a middleman in case the digitalpress store or something sells them now.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I'm confused - is the Supaboy out now? I can't seem to find it for sale ANYWHERE. I want to buy one now if anyone knows where I may be able to get one/is able to act as a middleman in case the digitalpress store or something sells them now.
    I don't think they are out yet the ones people are talking about on here are ones sent out to certain people for testing to work out any bugs.

I would like to know if this thing will be out by christmas though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw this for sale on one of my rounds - Gamerz Haven in Jamestown, NY. It was $60 iirc. Pretty neat looking console but I didn't get to try it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

burn_654, can you confirm the price and availability? If so, would you be willing to act as a middle man and pick it up and mail it to me if I send you the money? Just a thought.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not entirely certain if I can, but I'll definitely get more information on it/check the availability the next time I'm there and maybe come up with something. It's about 40 minutes from my house and the guy knows me. I tend to head that direction about every other weekend or so. There was definitely a boxed one on the shelf the last time I was there, I noted it was different beside the FC16go they also had.

Come to think of it, the other Gamerz Haven (same area) has had hyperkin stuff like the Retron 3 and such. Maybe they just got an early shipment or have a deal or something.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burn_654 View Post
    I'm not entirely certain if I can, but I'll definitely get more information on it/check the availability the next time I'm there and maybe come up with something. It's about 40 minutes from my house and the guy knows me. I tend to head that direction about every other weekend or so. There was definitely a boxed one on the shelf the last time I was there, I noted it was different beside the FC16go they also had.

Come to think of it, the other Gamerz Haven (same area) has had hyperkin stuff like the Retron 3 and such. Maybe they just got an early shipment or have a deal or something.
    Actually the retail units have not shipped yet. Tey sent out a limited number of preview units to retailers for survey work on the units quality. Hyperkin pretty much said "here, test this out, fill out this survey and do what you want with it when your done" i know this because they sent me one heheh. Tey are all individually numbered with a sticker on the front of the unit. The true retail version is supposed to ship sometime before christmas.

I will say, the lcd is gorgeous. No ghosting or anything. And the biggest surprise was the quality of the face buttons. No wiggly mushy feel like alot of the knockoff stuff. There was one technical problem present which was that of a high pitched squeal that was far worse with the charger plugged in. I imagine theybshould fix that before a retail relase.

Intro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm especially bothered by high frequency noise, so I really hope they fix it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Any word on exactly when it was be available for sale? I want to buy from a seller who will accept returns in case of dead pixels, the bane of any handheld.

For those of you who already own the unit, several questions if you don't mind.

1. How is it's d-pad? intro9 mentioned the face buttons feel good, which is great to hear, but I'm concerned a stiff OR mushy d-pad will ruin the experience.

2. what is the physical measurement of the dpad? I want to know if it would be roughly possible to transplant a d-pad from an authentic SNES controller if needbe.

3. When you use the AV output, does the LCD screen turn off?

4. Has anyone tested the battery life? Hyperkin at E3 said to expect around 5 hours, but I'm wondering if anyone can confirm. The FC-16 GO has only around 2 hours tops so I have high hopes for the Supaboy.

5. Has anyone run into games that WON'T work on the Supaboy? I assume it lacks the region coding chip, making later revisions of Super Mario RPG not to work.

6. Along the same lines, does EarthBound treat it as a copy device and therefore enable its anti-piracy protection (making enemies far more numerous and therefore the gameplay much less enjoyable)

7. How tight/loose is the cartridge slot? Does it have a nice slot like the FC-16 Go/Retro Duo or "death grip" like the TriStar/Super 8?

Insert Coin (Level 0) jwmollman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This looks like a more professional version of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFa72yfnOsI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJZT6LgNJxA

Thanks for the info. I'll look into this!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    SupaBoy can also play SFC games, which to my knowledge the FC16Go cannot because of those stupid plastic tabs.
    I'm not a fan of clamshell designs, either, so the SupaBoy is already looking like the better choice.
    The plastic tabs on these kinds of systems come right off with some sharp pliers made for wire stripping. Heck they're just clone systems anyway so I'll gladly add functionality to them.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Any word on exactly when it was be available for sale? I want to buy from a seller who will accept returns in case of dead pixels, the bane of any handheld.

For those of you who already own the unit, several questions if you don't mind.
    1. How is it's d-pad? intro9 mentioned the face buttons feel good, which is great to hear, but I'm concerned a stiff OR mushy d-pad will ruin the experience.

It's very stiff, but very responsive.

2. what is the physical measurement of the dpad? I want to know if it would be roughly possible to transplant a d-pad from an authentic SNES controller if needbe.

Exactly 1 inch by 1 inch. Not sure of the real measurements of a real SNES d-pad.

3. When you use the AV output, does the LCD screen turn off?

The AV is off when it is plugged in to the TV and as I mentioned in my post, you can NOT use the unit as a controller when it is plugged in, in fact, when it's plugged into a TV unless you plug SNES controllers in to the controller ports unit it goes pretty berserk and resets frequently. Once you plug controllers it it works perfectly. Not sure what that's all about or why they don't permit the unit to be used as a plug & play.

4. Has anyone tested the battery life? Hyperkin at E3 said to expect around 5 hours, but I'm wondering if anyone can confirm. The FC-16 GO has only around 2 hours tops so I have high hopes for the Supaboy.

I haven't tested it for that length/in that capacity, sorry.

5. Has anyone run into games that WON'T work on the Supaboy? I assume it lacks the region coding chip, making later revisions of Super Mario RPG not to work.

I don't have a copy of Super Mario RPG, but I've seen reports that it's functional with all versions.

6. Along the same lines, does EarthBound treat it as a copy device and therefore enable its anti-piracy protection (making enemies far more numerous and therefore the gameplay much less enjoyable)

Don't know.

7. How tight/loose is the cartridge slot? Does it have a nice slot like the FC-16 Go/Retro Duo or "death grip" like the TriStar/Super 8?

No death grip, I've had no problem inserting/removing games.

Also, I'm waiting for Hyperkin to release the final version of this product, as the current one (all of them confirmed by Hyperkin rep) has a high pitched whistle/whine that is present during all aspects of play. If they correct it I'm going to send mine to them for repair/replacement. So, even if you see one of the 100 test market units out for sale, I'd say wait for the revised version.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 10-09-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Good to know. If you have contacts with them, can you ask when they expect it to be officially released?

Thanks.