Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tha Mizphit
    PSN
    ThaMizphit

Saw one of these yesterday at 3D Games store at Katy Mills Mall in Katy, Tx. The unit was number 29 if I remember correctly, and they had it priced at $80. The employees didn't look too happy to be there lol, so I didn't bother to strike up a conversation about it with them. I just bought some items and left.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just thought I'd add that I'll check out Super Mario RPG and Earthbound tomorrow when I get into my store.

As Frankie Says has already already most of your questions, I'll take care of the few he couldn't answer for ya.

Also want to add that the cartridge port is snug but not overly tight. It also has a locking mechanism on it to prevent cartridge slippage.

I have a funny feeling that they might be removing that locking feature when the retail release is made available. They seem to be looking for ways to cut cost on the final run of the unit, or at least that's the impression I got when I was filling out the questionairre and speaking to the representative.

You can be assured I told him that the screen quality and button quality is of the utmost concern! Hopefully the other 99 people who reviewed this thing along with me echoed that statement.

Anyways like I said, I'll check out Earthbound and I have 2 copies of Mario RPG that I can check out as well. If I remember tomorrow heh.

Intro
    Classic Game Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Any word on exactly when it was be available for sale? I want to buy from a seller who will accept returns in case of dead pixels, the bane of any handheld.

For those of you who already own the unit, several questions if you don't mind.

1. How is it's d-pad? intro9 mentioned the face buttons feel good, which is great to hear, but I'm concerned a stiff OR mushy d-pad will ruin the experience.

2. what is the physical measurement of the dpad? I want to know if it would be roughly possible to transplant a d-pad from an authentic SNES controller if needbe.

3. When you use the AV output, does the LCD screen turn off?

4. Has anyone tested the battery life? Hyperkin at E3 said to expect around 5 hours, but I'm wondering if anyone can confirm. The FC-16 GO has only around 2 hours tops so I have high hopes for the Supaboy.

5. Has anyone run into games that WON'T work on the Supaboy? I assume it lacks the region coding chip, making later revisions of Super Mario RPG not to work.

6. Along the same lines, does EarthBound treat it as a copy device and therefore enable its anti-piracy protection (making enemies far more numerous and therefore the gameplay much less enjoyable)

7. How tight/loose is the cartridge slot? Does it have a nice slot like the FC-16 Go/Retro Duo or "death grip" like the TriStar/Super 8?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Great! If you are allowed to answer, what did the questionairre ask? What about the rep?

I really appriciate you willing to check out Earthbound has the anti-piracy measures and if later revisions of Mario RPG will work. On at least Hyperkin's RetroN3, Earthbound treats the RetroN as a copy device and imposes its anti-piracy routines, and Mario RPG won't work unless you do a hot-swap with careful reset button manipulation.

By any chance can you test out any of these as well?

Galoob's GameGenie
    Super GameBoy
    [doubtful but just in case] Japanese Nintendo Power Super Famciom Data Cartridges
    RetroUSB's Super Powerpak Flashcart

Given the excellent compatibility with Hyperkin's RetorN3, I assume it will play all of those without issue, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm also wondering how the cartridge lock actually works. Is it simply a piece of plastic that presses against the cartridge to give it added stability or something more complex than that? Can you "lock" Super Famicom games into place as well?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

bump. Can I please get answers to my last post?

Also, a member on NintendoAge posted today that the amazon preorder page for the Supa Boy now lists the system with a release date of November 15th. If true, then that means Hyperkin must have finalized the design.

Can anyone with contacts in Hyperkin confirm this? I'm really hoping the problems of the prototypes have been worked out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just ordered mine from amazon and will arrive on monday.Any one else get theirs yet?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

bump. Can I please get answers to my last post?

Also, a member on NintendoAge posted today that the amazon preorder page for the Supa Boy now lists the system with a release date of November 15th. If true, then that means Hyperkin must have finalized the design.

Can anyone with contacts in Hyperkin confirm this? I'm really hoping the problems of the prototypes have been worked out.
    The squealing problem has apparently been worked out in the final release.

I'll be getting an updated version at some point in the near future, I'll revisit my review at that time.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Will it play PAL region games as well as NTSC?????? if thats the case then this thing is better than an official SNES!

and if it does not play PAL region games, will the mark 3 Action replay work with PAL games being converted through it?
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 11-25-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

SNES games are region locked between PAL and NTSC. These kind of handhelds are made with the NTSC region unlocks, so very unlikely PAL games will work. Its probably like the other hyperkin products like the RetorN3.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES games are region locked between PAL and NTSC. These kind of handhelds are made with the NTSC region unlocks, so very unlikely PAL games will work. Its probably like the other hyperkin products like the RetorN3.

I figured just plugging a PAL cart into it probably wouldnt work, but will they work through the correct Action Replay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Hard to say, but if it works on the real hardware, I'd say there's a good chance considering how close Hyperkin clones tend to be to the legacy hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

So has anyone picked up a Supaboy yet? I want to know if the problems of the protoypes have been ironed out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am waiting for mine to arrive today and will test some games out,i'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

So has anyone picked up a Supaboy yet? I want to know if the problems of the protoypes have been ironed out.
    No sign of them at the DP store yet either. They're sending my replacement there. I'll weigh in as well when I get mine.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, looks like they DID NOT bother to fix a damn thing.

The annoying and stupid high pitched squeal is still there. Check out youtube. A few people who already received theirs posted reviews. In EVERY SINGLE one you can clearly hear the irritating high pitched sound. Extremely ridiculous.

And the battery life seems to be lower than expected which is unacceptable in my opinion.

Either way, wait for the second revision. They weren't really serious with fixing the issues but instead wanted to get this out there and take advantage of the holiday season and people who rush to buy things. Wait till they get serious and resolve the current flaws. Great idea and product, but the way it stands now, NOT WORTH THE MONEY.

thank you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got mine in and yes you can hear that squeal from the speakers.Only game that hasn't worked so far is populous.D-pad feels slightly stiff and sfc games work pretty good.Only sfc game i have tryed so far is super metroid.Screen so far has no dead pixels and works flawlessly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Damn.

Really sorry to hear about the squeal being present in the full release. I was under the impression that that specific issue was going to be resolved.

Perhaps the units that shipped day one are "old stock"/"old hardware" from the prototype batch that went out.

If that's the case I'm sure Hyperkin will probably do a return for a non-squealer if those wind up appearing in the wild.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 11-28-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

MyTurnToPlay and dukenukem, where did you guys get your Supaboys from? Maybe specific retailers are bad and should be avoided.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My Supaboy from Amazon arrived earlier today. On a side note also got a Gemei A330 today as well.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 11-29-2011 at 02:24 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got mine from amazon.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's 2 quick shots of the supaboy in action.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]