Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Supaboy - New SNES handheld from Hyperkin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a sidebar here.

If Hyperkin made a system that retailed for $129 to $159, our markup would be another 5-10%, the majority of profits would go to the retail outlet. The is intended, as retailers have a larger percent of overhead cost than we do. Could I accomplish a lot more with a 5-10% margin, not really.

Nobody gets rich making retro systems, we make more money selling cheap replacement cables and lately batteries. There are several folks who make absolutely great hardware, mostly custom, and I'll namedrop one here for anyone looking for a great Neo Geo MVS home console goto:

http://arcadeworks.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Taiyaki View Post
    I have to agree with you there.

The problem though is that the same target audience here who love the retro and love the idea of portability are by nature picky and difficult. In my opinion they might be making a mistake to go for affordability, when they could in fact sell these for $129 or even $159 and many of us would still be buying it so long as it's up to expectations.

There's a lot to be proud of with the Supaboy, the issues need to be solved but the concept is great.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand, so I was wrong. :/

I'll take a video and send it to Mr Lawrence. Thanks.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Just want to drop in real quick to remind Tofu and everyone at Hyperkin that we're all very thankful for everything they've done...especially for the Supaboy. I've been waiting half my life for a portable SNES, and now that it's here, I'm just bummed that the one I had had issues...but I'm very much looking forward to getting it back. It's seriously one of my favorite things ever, issues or no, and I only had it for two weeks.

So again: thanks Hyperkin!

Now, carry on with the arguments.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    Just want to drop in real quick to remind Tofu and everyone at Hyperkin that we're all very thankful for everything they've done...especially for the Supaboy. I've been waiting half my life for a portable SNES, and now that it's here, I'm just bummed that the one I had had issues...but I'm very much looking forward to getting it back. It's seriously one of my favorite things ever, issues or no, and I only had it for two weeks.

So again: thanks Hyperkin!

Now, carry on with the arguments.
    From the looks of it we probably have the final release (based on SatoshiMatrix receiving another unit with the same sound issues). Unless Tofu can confirm that the final release has no hum/buzz what so ever, perhaps this is what we have like it or not. :/

I second the part about being grateful to Hyperkin, it's 16 years overdue but it's fantastic to have it here and we can only look forward to what comes next in this series and improved models in the future. Best regards to Tofu, his colleagues and everyone at Hyperkin!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I'm not grateful enough to buy a busted product.
    It seems like clone makers just give up when the product is 95% done.
    With all the money and effort that goes into designing a product like this, you'd think it would be worthwhile to spend that extra little bit to make it perfect.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's exactly what we said kedawa, glad you got our mass email about it. I tend to give the company a pass on small things cuz I never expect it to be 100%. For the cost of most of these products, they are pretty damn good. The is always the choice of making your own or paying someone $300++ to make you a system. All things considered, I am surprised these systems get made at all.

Not too many companies have employees that are willing to drop in a forum and help customers out. I believe that deserves respect. No one is saying people cant voice their thoughts on a product, just do it with respect and consideration. People tend to loose tact when on the internet.

Also, this isn't a first party product. If nintendo was making it, I would see the complaints being alittle more fair. This is a third party company doing it. They have a few more hurdles to overcome and their pockets arent as deep.
    Last edited by MachineGex; 12-31-2011 at 08:26 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Things like the light above the logo, the dust under the screen, the scratched buttons, and perhaps even the flickering screen are all details I think many of us can give a pass, but the buzzing and the very mediocre sound coming from the unit is really not acceptable, it's a distraction and significantly harms the experience.

I find I get better sound by putting thick cotton pads on the two speakers to soften the sound, it also reduces the buzz, not a definite solution but it improves things a little.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, Taiyaki, I agree with you 100%. Nothing wrong with saying whats wrong with it as long as you do it with tact and some respect. I can't imagine the amount of work that goes into making something like this. All the tech stuff, legal stuff, etc. is a huge hurdle.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pokefami DX

All, just wanted to let you guys know that I've also ordered a Pokefami DX (albeit without the Fami/MD adapters) and will be posting videos of that as well. Depending on the timing of receiving the PFDX from Japan and the Supaboy back from Hyperkin, I'll be posting some detailed English-language comparisons between the two devices to my Youtube account. There's a nice comparison of them on YouTube already, but without being able to read Japanese, it's hard to tell how the Pokefami DX really compares to Hyperkin's baby with regards to screen quality, sound quality, feel, and compatibility.

Anyway. I'm assuming these videos are about a month out, but...something for you guys to look forward to.

Happy New Year!
    Last edited by nusilver; 01-01-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    All, just wanted to let you guys know that I've also ordered a Pokefami DX (albeit without the Fami/MD adapters) and will be posting videos of that as well. Depending on the timing of receiving the PFDX from Japan and the Supaboy back from Hyperkin, I'll be posting some detailed English-language comparisons between the two devices to my Youtube account. There are some nice videos of comparing them on YouTube already, but without being able to read Japanese, it's hard to tell how the Pokefami DX really compares to Hyperkin's baby.

Happy New Year!
    Much aprreciated. May I ask where you ordered the Pokefami DX from?
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    Much aprreciated. May I ask where you ordered the Pokefami DX from?
    I got it on Amazon; I did not pay what the seller was asking.

Having said that: I did find these just now - shipping worldwide from Hong Kong. Looks like it'll run about $150 USD, for those interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SFC-Super-Fa...item3cbfa2372d

For what its worth, though I know most people are not going to want to spend that much, I would suggest holding off anyway - from what I understand, the Pokefami is largely inferior to the Supaboy (except, in regards to looks...but I suppose that's personal preference.)
    Last edited by nusilver; 01-01-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nusilver> Please let us know your impressions as soon as it arrives! I might switch over and buy that too.

From what I read about the Pokefami DX

(This is not from first hand experience!)

+ Screen has warmer colors and several settings for brightness
    + Softer sound (less tinny?)
    + Better size (ratio screen to unit) vs Supaboy which gives off impression of small screen due to unit size
    + Better start and select location
    + Better reset button since it requires pressing down a few seconds.
    + Clean look (no huge name spelled on unit)
    - Lower sound fidelity (slightly?)
    - Less good quality build?
    - Less authentic look
    - Sharpness on screen just as bad (worse?) than the Supaboy.

I haven't heard anything on the battery life, I wonder which is better in that regard.

Apparently the Megadrive and Famicom adapters are more like gimmicks and do not perform well. Many games don't work and those that work are inconsistent and glitchy (particularly filled with sound issues).

As a SNES this unit might be more suitable for some people than the Supaboy, particularly interesting to me is the contrast setting button, warmer colors and softened sound.
    Last edited by Taiyaki; 01-02-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Who is the PokeFamiDX made by? I worry about build quality.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Who is the PokeFamiDX made by? I worry about build quality.
    I believe it's a company called Gamejoy Japan. Again, I won't have my PFDX for a few weeks, but I'll let you guys know how it stacks up to Hyperkin's model once it arrives. The only thing I can say for sure about the Pokefami DX right now is that I like the recessed shoulder buttons more. The Supaboy's are too clicky.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default aaanddd...getting back to the Supaboy....

looks like mine was delivered to Hyperkin today. Hope I get it back soon (wink, wink, Tofu, nudge, etc...)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah let us know, I'm waiting for further news from someone to confirm what the final product is, if like SatoshiMatrix you receive a new unit with the buzz again I'm going to give up on Hyperkin, return the product to the ebay seller and go for the Pokefami DX instead.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just saw this for the first time a few hours ago at my local game shop....It looks pretty cool. I never bought the FC-16 Go because after playing with it at a friends the design bugged me and didn't feel right. I may have to sink some money into this. I love the TV out feature...making the NES even more portable...I like it!
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Well I'm not willing to pay the shipping to send Hyperkin back the unit they sent me, so I guess I'm going to have to live with it. It's not too bad for some games, but Mario World is terrible.

As much as the audio buzz angers me, I do like the unit quite a bit. I'm planning on making my own detailed video review this weekend. If anyone has any questions or anything they want to see, let me know now before I record.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Well I'm not willing to pay the shipping to send Hyperkin back the unit they sent me, so I guess I'm going to have to live with it. It's not too bad for some games, but Mario World is terrible.

As much as the audio buzz angers me, I do like the unit quite a bit. I'm planning on making my own detailed video review this weekend. If anyone has any questions or anything they want to see, let me know now before I record.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, so my new SupaBoy came in the mail today. I honestly have to say the buzzing isnt as detrimental as everyone seems to complain about. Sure its there, but if your not putting the volume all the way up (which you probably shouldn't anyways) its not so bad. I seemed to forget about it after a couple minutes. The only time I was hearing it was when I asked myself, "is it buzzing?" The buzzing however does not transfer over when you use it as a console (hooked up to the TV, or if it does its not coming out of the TV). I've only been able to play Secret of Mana as thats the only SNES game I own and after a couple finicky starts right out of the box, it boots up first time all the time. The controls are responsive and the D-Pad works really well even though it feels stiff in comparison to the buttons.

The feeling I got when I opened was something that I havent felt in years. To me it was like getting a super nintendo all over again. I couldn't wait to have a game to pop into it. So I made my way to my local collectibles/pop-culture store and bought a copy of Secret of Mana. Got home popped it in and fell in love again. Super Nintendo has and will probably always be my favorite console ever and honestly the SupaBoy did not disappoint me in the least.

On the whole I'd say I'm very satisfied with my purchase and cant wait to start increasing my library of games.