Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about drm , dlc and artificial expansion packs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do you feel about drm , dlc and artificial expansion packs?

Everyone knows when you bought a older console and a game , those 2 things were yours . But when you buy a game on a modern console especially a downloadable game , your expected to have constant internet connection for it to run technically it isnt yours if thats the case. What about games that require a subscription to xbox live?

Say you buy black ops for the system , you dont get access to 50 percent of your 60 dollar purchase if you dont have a xbox live account, so cough up another 60 bucks for xbox live. Its worse when a game solely depends on multiplayer and the trend is , games are going that way so if you buy a sequel chances are the single player gets shorter and shorter and developers plan the game to solely dependent on multiplayer.

Say your playing a bioware game like Dragonage , or mass effect and a huge part of the game or campaign is held hostage until you cough up some extra xbox live points or cash , yet its called a expansion pack but its on the actual disc , they probably decided during development '' Hey lets just charge extra for this side mission campaign and just call it a expansion pack the gamers wont know the difference''.

Capcom is guiltier than bioware of doing that , holding resident evils multiplayer hostage when it was on the actual disc. Not to mention their plans for marvel vs capcom 3 charging 5 bucks a new character.

Yeah its a rant but i think of those as more as examples , what do you think about drm and dlc?
    Last edited by Richter Belmount; 04-03-2011 at 12:31 AM.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I find it irritating. For instance, Fallout 3 is one of my favorite 360 games, but I'm going to need Fallout 3: GOTY edition if I want to enjoy the entire story. Of course, I haven't finished the main game yet, so I've got a way to go yet. Maybe the GOTY will drop in price by the time I'm ready to play it.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm done thinking about it. I've decided, I'm not buying any of it. There are or will be options which do not include vaseline and a backdoor channel to my bank account.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

DLC - A 50/50 thing. The MvC3 $5 per character is actually pretty good sounding, especially since not a lot of people would use every single character. If it's unlock keys for disc-based content, that's a whole new angle. They're holding the buyer back from up to half the actual content until they buy a key. It's like if you went to a hotel, but had to buy individual keys to drawers, doors, the minifridge, etc. for $12 each - it's mindless and it's treating the buyer as if they were an obedient pet.

If it's legitimate add-ons that aren't on the disc and they aren't all released in one wave as soon as the game launches (a.k.a. "We didn't feel like finishing this on time, now buy them for $10 each instead of the initial disc's $60"), I'm okay with that.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Annoying, but it depends on the dev.

For example, the Magicka devs (a PC game) are releasing an expansion pack for their game soon. But they decided that instead of forcing everyone to own it so they can play together, only ONE person needs to own it. So even if you don't own the Vietnam expansion, as long as one player owns it, you're good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    DLC - A 50/50 thing. The MvC3 $5 per character is actually pretty good sounding, especially since not a lot of people would use every single character. If it's unlock keys for disc-based content, that's a whole new angle. They're holding the buyer back from up to half the actual content until they buy a key. It's like if you went to a hotel, but had to buy individual keys to drawers, doors, the minifridge, etc. for $12 each - it's mindless and it's treating the buyer as if they were an obedient pet.

If it's legitimate add-ons that aren't on the disc and they aren't all released in one wave as soon as the game launches (a.k.a. "We didn't feel like finishing this on time, now buy them for $10 each instead of the initial disc's $60"), I'm okay with that.
    I had an experience with a hotel similar to that. I stayed at the Palms Place when I went to Vegas last month, and a big part of choosing that hotel was the balconies on every suite. After check in, I got to my room and the balconies were locked, I called the desk and asked for them to be unlocked.....they said if I gave them $500 more a night they would move my room and i could use the balcony, I declined.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERWEEDO View Post
    I had an experience with a hotel similar to that. I stayed at the Palms Place when I went to Vegas last month, and a big part of choosing that hotel was the balconies on every suite. After check in, I got to my room and the balconies were locked, I called the desk and asked for them to be unlocked.....they said if I gave them $500 more a night they would move my room and i could use the balcony, I declined.
    Wow thats just shady business practice. Its all in the details I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Drm is garbage. It generally cripples good consumers and does nothing to stop pirates. DLC & DLC expansion packs are the shits as well as I never support gaming stuff that you cannot resell. People give me shit for not liking Steam because I cant resell/trade/give away the things I buy because there is no money in used PC games anyways. This is true but if I am in a pinch I would rather get 50 cents for it than nothing. I also like being able to lend or give away games to friends if they are no longer needed. I dont mind paying for an expansion pack for a game at the right price as long as I own it. Fro example: I have been waiting forever to get borderlands GOTY but for the longest time the (XBOX)DLC was on a code card. They just released a version with the DLC on a 2nd disk and I just bought 2 copies so myself and friends can play 4 player system link.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE= If it's legitimate add-ons that aren't on the disc and they aren't all released in one wave as soon as the game launches (a.k.a. "We didn't feel like finishing this on time, now buy them for $10 each instead of the initial disc's $60"), I'm okay with that.[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. Yes if it's new characters and add on story content and no if it's maps and online content. Think of it this way would you like your game to come out on time or have the release date be pushed back for stuff that doesn't have to do with single player mode. Stuff that you may not use or download anyway.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

About DLC -

For me, the core material on the retail disc is enough. By the time I finish the on-disc portion of the game without buying anything, I am tired of playing that game and ready for the next. To me, online multiplayer is too much of the same thing for it to grab my attention for long and I have more fun playing the one player mode because it actually has a story to it most of the time. And if I want all these extra characters in a fighting game I'll just play Mugen for free and put them all in myself.

About DRM -

That is stupid because sometimes I don't like to be online or sometimes my internet router trips and stops working for half the day so it is really an inconvenience. I think I will avoid games that require that altogether. I still don't have any yet.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    Personally, I find it irritating. For instance, Fallout 3 is one of my favorite 360 games, but I'm going to need Fallout 3: GOTY edition if I want to enjoy the entire story. Of course, I haven't finished the main game yet, so I've got a way to go yet. Maybe the GOTY will drop in price by the time I'm ready to play it.
    GOTY is on sale for $20 at Gamestop. http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-fallout+3
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never buy expansions for any game once I have the physical disc. If it doesn't come with it, I don't need it.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

for the most part I think dlc is bullshit. It's always available a week after the game is released. That is way too soon. I usually don't finish newer games for months, sometimes even years because my interest in games is always changing. Ill play something for a couple weeks and shelve it until it strikes my fancy again. I might be willing to buy new dlc for a game released a year ago, long after I've finished it. But generally when this stuff is introduced I'm still involved in the main quest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So far, i've purchased a handful of downloadable games. About 4 games on PSN, and 1 game on XBLA. The PSN games that I got was via game sharing, so I chipped in with other people, and the lone XBLA game was Marble Blast Ultra for 5 bucks. It's amazing that I haven't purchased more games, considering how much good stuff is available via DD, but I just hate the fact that I'm basically "leasing" these games, because in no way, shape, or form, do I own them.

The only way I'll purchase them is if they cost 10 bucks or less. Tons of stuff is $15, $20 or more, but I'm just totally avoiding that shit. I used to share with a couple other dudes on the PSN games. We'd buy a PSN game for $20, and each chip in $5. I know that isn't exactly the most morally upstanding thing to do, but considering the lack of rights you get with these games, I honestly think I'm justified in getting them the cheapest way possible (outside piracy), so if Sony and the 3rd parties hate game sharing, then they need to require the online connection thing. The games that don't require that are fair game imo.

XBLA games really kinda blow though, because there is no game sharing. You can only put that game on 1 360, and every other 360 you play the game on has to be from the Gamertag that purchased it, and has to be logged into Xbox Live. Just a lot of bogus restrictions. PSN games can be on 5 different PS3's systems, and you aren't required to be online (except for a couple of Capcom games I think)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only game I've purchased DLC for is Mega Man 9. I wasn't wild about getting nickeled and dimed for extra features, but I liked the game enough to do so anyway.

As for the other query: I will never buy any game that requires a constant connection to anything other than electricity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like having the option to download games rather than purchase them physically, especially on my computer. I think I'm at a greater risk of having my physical games stolen than losing access to what I have on Steam.

I don't have any issue with the concept of DLC characters and map packs and such, but I think a lot of other DLC has very little value. I really don't care if DLC is locked on the disc or downloaded, so long as I know what's actually available to me when I purchase the game.
    It seems like the majority of 'microtransactions' are aimed at the same chumps who pay for ringtones on their phones. I don't support the monetization of things that should be free, and I find the proliferation of closed platforms like smartphones very troubling.

DRM is kind of a strange beast. If done properly, it could be very useful not only to commercial content providers, but also to individuals who want to keep documents or videos or whatever private and secure. Unfortunately, DRM is almost always implemented in the most hamfisted and counter-productive way possible, and only serves to encourage piracy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i generally dont buy DLC after i buy the disc. i can only think of a handful of games on my 360 i did that for.....one of which were all the multiplayer maps for halo 3 ages ago.

for the most part i feel like developers purposely withhold content that should already be on the game just so they can make more $ obviously.

i feel like if you spend $60 for a game....everything should be there @ purchase.

now as far as downloadable games....i've had the 360 for 5 years and have 37 xbla games....several of which i regret but most of which are some of the best....

however, i'd much rather have the physical disc/cartridge than something digital

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post
    GOTY is on sale for $20 at Gamestop. http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-fallout+3
    Thanks for this! I just ordered one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

None of that bothers me.

I haven't bought a disc based or downloadable game yet that required an active internet connection for it to run, besides perhaps 2 or 3 PC games from Ubisoft. And I mostly play PC games for the experience at that time, there aren't many I find myself wanting to go back and revisit 10-15 years down the road (Grand Prix Legends, SimCity 3000, and Titanic Adventures Out of Time are pretty much the only PC content I regularly have gone back to over the years). So I can tolerate such DRM in that area.

All my XBLA games, PSN games, and downloaded Nintendo games and such play just fine offline for me. When it's implimented on consoles (Having a hard time thinking of any examples here beyond a handful of Capcom downloadable games that require an active internet connection, mostly on PSN), I'm simply just not buying. And I'm not aware of any of my 360 games that require a gold Xbox Live subscription to play. So it simply hasn't been a problem so far for me.

I'm fine with paying for online play through Xbox Live. I've felt like I've gotten my money's worth over the years with a superior service. Letting it lapse soon though since I just don't find myself doing enough online multiplayer anymore to justify it and mostly just enjoy the leaderboards anyways, which are free. I can even tolerate tying in online play with new copies and forcing used buyers to pay for it. Most people interested in the online capabilities of a game are buying soon after release (Including myself). And since I'd have to be online anyways to enjoy the online capabilities, I just don't see much worry about what happens down the road there.

All it's going to do for the most part is discourage people from buying that $50-$55 used copy sitting on the shelf. It might even benefit someone primarily interested in single player if all those used copies of Call of Duty each year suddenly were $10 cheaper to reflect that at GameStop to make up that difference and keep attracting used buyers, since I'm only interested in the 6 hour long single player campaigns in them anyways.

But if a retail game doesn't let me enjoy a full single player experience on any console that isn't connected to the internet, I'm simply not buying. I'm not going to buy a game that is a ticking time bomb. I only buy small releases like XBLA games since they're cheap and too many nice games to pass up just out of principle.

The day DRM gets as restrictful as companies like EA would prefer it to be is the day I stick with earlier console generations. I'm not about to be buying a game on disc and feel like I essentially just leased it for a short while.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-02-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I don't mind DLC that actually expands the game, Burnout Paradise Big Surf Island is probably the best example on how DLC expansions should be done, since it added a whole new area and vehicles to mess with. Super Star Dust HD released a few expansions after it's original release that I didn't mind buying, but I waited for them to be sold bundled together because I knew it was inevitable.

As for the BS DLC, if other people want to be stupid enough to buy it then that's fine by me, I'll ignore it unless it's something I really want, which it almost never is.

DRM is just complete bullshit, I've already been burnt twice by Capcom with it and I'm going to be a lot more cautious buying anything from them in the future because of it. I should not have to be online 24/7 to play a game that doesn't require a constant internet connection to be played. If it's not an online only game, then I shouldn't have to be online to play it.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre