Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SNK Arcade Classics 0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default SNK Arcade Classics 0

With what looks to be one of the final PSP releases that will be of much interest to anyone, SNK has this slated for a Japanese release for the PSP on April 21st.

It was rated by the ESRB in late 2009, but SNK hasn't said if it was coming stateside since. Given the state the PSP is in at this time in North America and the long gestation period for this title, this looks to be something everyone can count on not coming stateside. But with the import friendly nature of both the PSP itself and the included content, it shouldn't be much of a problem for anyone that is interested.

It's developed by G1M2, known for some of the better recieved SNK compilations of years gone by. Here is the case insert, a trailer, and the game list.

Included games:

Ikari Warriors (1986)
    Dogosoken (1986)
    Ikari III: The Rescue (overseas version) (1989)
    Athena (1986)
    Psycho Soldier (1987)
    Sasuke vs. Commander (1980)
    TANK (1985)
    ASO (1985)
    Prehistoric Isle in 1930 (1989)
    Bermuda Triangle (1987)
    Vanguard 2 (1984)
    HAL 21 (1985)
    Marvin’s Maze (1983)
    Guerrilla War (1987)
    P.O.W. (1988)
    Street Smart (1989)
    SAR Search and Rescue (1989)
    Touchdown Fever (1987)
    Gold Medalist (1988)
    Super Championship Baseball (overseas version) (1989)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjJ4v...layer_embedded

Nice to finally see some attention given to the real gems of SNK's library of classics. I just wish there hadn't been licensing issues with Vanguard. I'd of loved to finally have gotten a proper arcade port of that at long last.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Sounds great, but the game is currently $60 at Play-Asia.

And I also wonder how playable the vertical side-scrollers can be on the PSP...

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Are you sure it was developed by G1M2 and not by those jackasses at Terminal Reality?

After the mess they made out of KOF Orochi Saga and SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1, I don't want to touch another SNK compilation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

wow, an snk collection NOT jampacked with awfull fighting games? I might have to get this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game has been in the works for like 2 years now. And I do remember originally hearing that G1M2 was handling it (also did Data East Arcade Classics for Wii)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Portable release only = Fail, which seems to be synonomous with SNK.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Nice cover art.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I know that the last SNK Arcade Classics collection wasn't a hit amongst SNK/Neo Geo purists, I thought it was fine on both PSP and PS2 ... I really hope that this gets a US release and a console port.

Fingers crossed.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wish we'd get a console version and a domestic release for the game since I really don't see SNK ever putting it out on UMD over here.

Hopefully SNK at least puts it up on PSN over here since everyone would have access to it then including those buying the Vita.

They're familiar with the Wii hardware so maybe SNK will put them to work converting this over to the Wii and bring it out over eventually. But the window of opportunity there must be closing quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Are you sure it was developed by G1M2 and not by those jackasses at Terminal Reality?
    G1M2 was still handling the project back 3 months ago or so when I last talked to one of their employees I talk to on occasion. So unless something drastic has happened and they managed to get someone like Terminal Reality to put something together in a matter of weeks at the last minute, I feel safe in saying I'm sure.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-04-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I'm not sure how much value these SNK collections have anymore. I've purchased SNK Arcade Classics 1 and a few of the other collections for the PSP and they've been, without exception, far worse in quality and playability than the same games played via emulator on the PSP. I don't mind paying for these games one bit... Assuming that they play properly. Arcade Classics 1 on PS2 was pretty garbage too. I've been burned enough to be a little wary.

Maybe a change in the guys responsible for the emulation code will make this worthwhile... But I'll probably wait to see what some of you guys think first. Assuming it comes out here, of course. Which it still might: it took the Samurai Shodown collection almost two years to come out here after its release in Japan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can't speak for any past PSP efforts since I don't own any of them. But I do know from first hand experience that SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1 and Metal Slug Anthology on the PS2 were developed by Terminal Reality (As I believe the PSP versions were). I guess their Wii version of Volume 1 was better done, but I believe all their SNK compilations that they developed have been poorly recieved.

I believe G1M2 has developed the following classic compilations.

Fatal Fury Battle Archives Volume 1 for PS2
    Art of Fighting Anthology for PS2
    NEOGEO Battle Coliseum for PS2
    King of Fighters XI for PS2
    World Heroes Anthology for PS2
    Fatal Fury Battle Archives Volume 2 for PS2
    The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match for PS2
    Data East Arcade Classics for Wii (Plus several standalone games as PSP Mini's)

I can only personally speak for Data East Arcade Classics (I hate fighters), but I felt like that was a decent effort. Most of the games ran just fine, beyond some sound oddities in the early 80s titles that dragged it down some. But my impression from forums like this over the years was that the SNK compilations from G1M2 were fairly solid releases while it was the projects from Terminal Reality that were to be avoided. In fact, as best as I can tell, this is G1M2's first PSP compilation. So I wouldn't let those failed products from a different developer deter you from this latest one.

As far as this collection is concerned, I'm most concerned about the games that used a rotary stick. Dual analog support is impossible (Which worked like a charm to allow independent movement and aiming with Heavy Barrel in Data East Arcade Classics), so I'm wondering just how it's going to work.

I really wish they'd put this on the Wii and bring it stateside.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-04-2011 at 02:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

If its a USA release I will get it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I can't speak for any past PSP efforts since I don't own any of them. But I do know from first hand experience that SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1 and Metal Slug Anthology on the PS2 were developed by Terminal Reality (As I believe the PSP versions were). I guess their Wii version of Volume 1 was better done, but I believe all their SNK compilations that they developed have been poorly recieved.

I believe G1M2 has developed the following classic compilations.

Fatal Fury Battle Archives Volume 1 for PS2
    Art of Fighting Anthology for PS2
    NEOGEO Battle Coliseum for PS2
    King of Fighters XI for PS2
    World Heroes Anthology for PS2
    Fatal Fury Battle Archives Volume 2 for PS2
    The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match for PS2
    Data East Arcade Classics for Wii (Plus several standalone games as PSP Mini's)

I can only personally speak for Data East Arcade Classics (I hate fighters), but I felt like that was a decent effort. Most of the games ran just fine, beyond some sound oddities in the early 80s titles that dragged it down some. But my impression from forums like this over the years was that the SNK compilations from G1M2 were fairly solid releases while it was the projects from Terminal Reality that were to be avoided. In fact, as best as I can tell, this is G1M2's first PSP compilation. So I wouldn't let those failed products from a different developer deter you from this latest one.

As far as this collection is concerned, I'm most concerned about the games that used a rotary stick. Dual analog support is impossible (Which worked like a charm to allow independent movement and aiming with Heavy Barrel in Data East Arcade Classics), so I'm wondering just how it's going to work.

I really wish they'd put this on the Wii and bring it stateside.
    G1M2 handled most of the ones you mentioned; I'm not 100% sure they developed 98 Ultimate Match since that was an Arcade port. They also made the other SNK collections released in Japan: Sunsoft, Last Blade, Fu'un Super Combo, ADK Tamashii, and the two KOF anthologies we didn't get (Orochi Hen [95-97] and Nests Hen [99-2001]).

I'm pretty sure they also created the main backend for Samurai Shodown Anthology and the emulation system for I through V, but someone else must've tacked on Samurai Shodown VI onto it since it feels like a crappy, somewhat hackish port to me.

I own all of G1M2's NeoGeo collections (official US releases) and they're 99% perfect, other than some very slight graphics glitches in some games. I've also ah, obtained less than legit copies of their Japanese releases and they're pretty good.

While G1M2's collections are usually damn near perfect in quality, they had next to no extras... whereas Terminal Reality's collections are pretty crappy, yet they have TONS of extras. Go figure.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 04-04-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I'm not sure how much value these SNK collections have anymore. I've purchased SNK Arcade Classics 1 and a few of the other collections for the PSP and they've been, without exception, far worse in quality and playability than the same games played via emulator on the PSP. I don't mind paying for these games one bit... Assuming that they play properly. Arcade Classics 1 on PS2 was pretty garbage too. I've been burned enough to be a little wary.
    I'm curious.. To those who felt the PS2 collection was not good, since I have very little Neo Geo experience outside of Arcade Classics 1, what exactly about the collection/emulation on the disc is bad?? What am I missing by not having played on the original hardware (or via emulation)?

As for Collection 0... well that is pretty sweet artwork! Fireball shooting T-Rex and bikini chick with a sword! I've never played any of those games to my knowledge, though...

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I'm also curious about what's wrong with snk arcade classics vol. 1 on ps2. I play it with a hori stick and it's pretty sweet. I even love neo turf masters. ("player one had a baaaaad day. This is nelses report!")

Oh, and the bikini chick with a sword is athena...you may want to skip that one.

I'm excited to see these games on a comp, but a others have mentioned, im pissed about it being on psp. I hate playing games on that thing, especcially arcade games. Couldn't they at least put this on psn as a ps3 game? Or even a ps2 game. It could be as low-budget as hell a long as it's on a console.
    Last edited by Graham Mitchell; 04-04-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

A while back I was planning on doing a video review that explained exactly what was wrong with SNK AC Volume 1 on the PS2... (I never went ahead with it due to issues recording stuff off my PS2, plus the quake that happened last year.) But off the top of my head, a lot of the games had quite a bit of slowdown, the worst one being Shock Troopers - which ran at HALF THE SPEED IT WAS SUPPOSED TO. Some games also lost some sound effects, Shock Troopers was missing the voices you heard when you switched characters. KOF 94 and World Heroes were pretty weird, they ran okay for a bit, then slowed down for an instant, then sped up to try to catch up - ALL THE TIME.

And Top Hunter... it plays fine, until you enter a bonus stage. Then you have to wait one or two minutes for the screen fadeout / transition to finish. THEN YOU HAVE TO WAIT TWO MORE SO THE SCREEN FADES IN AGAIN.

I really liked the "bonuses" they threw in, though. And yes, Neo Turf Masters is pretty damn awesome in there.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

So what it sounds like is that if theres a game on there that shows up on psn's neo geo station I should probably download it, huh? I have virtually no experience with original aes games so this is interesting to hear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    So what it sounds like is that if theres a game on there that shows up on psn's neo geo station I should probably download it, huh? I have virtually no experience with original aes games so this is interesting to hear.
    I noticed these issues since I played most of them in their original arcade form, and I also compared the games to MAME. I only have experience with the PS2 version; I've never played the PSP version. However, I've seen next to no complaints about the Wii version. I think Terminal Reality just didn't know crap about how to code an efficient emulator on the PS2 - but the Wii's additional CPU power might have helped them fix the issues the PS2 version had.

Plus it's a helluva lot cheaper to just get this disc on the Wii instead of paying what, 800 Wii points (I think) on the shop per game.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I noticed these issues since I played most of them in their original arcade form, and I also compared the games to MAME. I only have experience with the PS2 version; I've never played the PSP version. However, I've seen next to no complaints about the Wii version. I think Terminal Reality just didn't know crap about how to code an efficient emulator on the PS2 - but the Wii's additional CPU power might have helped them fix the issues the PS2 version had.

Plus it's a helluva lot cheaper to just get this disc on the Wii instead of paying what, 800 Wii points (I think) on the shop per game.
    I haven't heard any criticisms about the emulation or game speed on the PSN versions, plus you get the added bonus of online multiplayer.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I haven't heard any criticisms about the emulation or game speed on the PSN versions, plus you get the added bonus of online multiplayer.
    By PSN you mean PSP download, right?

I'm basically going by what people have said online, so for all I know, the PSP version is fine.