Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Could Nintendo's next home console entice the early adopters/graphic whores?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    You can ask that Nintendo's new controller have all the functionality of an iPad, Xoom, or Galaxy Tab, or you can just go to the store and buy an actual iPad, Xoom, or Galaxy Tab. They're available now...no waiting, hoping, or asking required.

That's like saying, "I hope Sony's new PlayStation Vita is like an Ipod Touch." Then why not just go to the store and buy an iPod Touch right now??
    Just having browser features and e-mail is what I'm asking, so it's not the same in the least. The basic tablet is there already, it could be very low-end, while the above are higher end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    How about making us both happy? Keep the current shape, but make it look like a NES? Fair?
    I could get behind that.

The color of the Wii (And the WiiU so far) is my least favorite aspect of their appearance. One styled to look like a NES, such as their anniversary GBA SP from a few years ago, would be great.

Actually, I don't even like how the Wii looks, so they have a nice start since I like the lines of this thing. Had to hunt one of these things down just to try to improve it's appearance (I don't actually use the storage area, I just think it helps the console look much better when it's horizontal).

Just having browser features and e-mail is what I'm asking, so it's not the same in the least. The basic tablet is there already, it could be very low-end, while the above are higher end.
    Such a thing would need a decent processor and a good bit of ram integrated into the controller. Two critical elements that very well might not be there already, beyond just enough power to handle sending and recieving a signal from the WiiU and streaming video from the console.

As you already know, I'm sure, there's a heck of a lot more to something like a tablet than just a screen.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-23-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I doubt a lot of that statement, except that the console specs will remain laregly the same. Everything I disagree with. There will be a better wand, and it will likely be smaller and more efficient than the PS3 wand. What came out for Wii is just that, this system has nothing to do with Wii except for the name, which I pray changes too. They changed the Ultra 64 and Revolution names fairly close to launch. We are likely 17 months away from release. Hope it's sooner, but I'm going with a launch in 11-12.
    I was actually at E3 and I spent some time in the Nintendo area. I can tell you that the big selling point a lot of their reps were making is that the Wii peripherals you currently own will work with the new games to be released. Adding a new iteration to the Wiimote to the two versions already out there would be market splitting suicide and they won't do it. Will they maybe make a version of the Wiimote plus with WiiU branding on it to package with the system? Probably, but they aren't going to add significant new functionality. The screen is the innovation, not new hand controllers.

I don't know what makes you think this system has nothing to do with the Wii, but Nintendo made it very clear it is 100% backwards compatible and the controllers and other peripherals all work with the new system. WiiU also isn't a code name like Dolphin or Revolution. It's a name that replaced a code name and is being actively marketed to the mainstream media. This isn't a release that's years away, it's a year or 18 months away, so making major changes just isn't going to happen. Developers need at least a year to work with relatively firm specs including controllers. You can speculate all you want, but I look forward to necro bumping this thread in a year so you can admit that your naked speculation was completely off-base.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a definite possibility. But I don't think Nintendo's graphics have ever been the company's main appeal. It could bring people onto the bandwagon and it could allow for more mature titles, which Nintendo usually steer clear of. But the main threat is the tablet/smartphone games, which are stealing gamers away from the console gaming market.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfriedman View Post
    But the main threat is the tablet/smartphone games, which are stealing gamers away from the console gaming market.
    The people that bought a Wii to play Mario aren't going to leave console gaming for Angry Birds and other inane touchpad games. The people that bought Wiis for Wii Sports, however...

I think what we've seen so far has done a good job at differentiating Nintendo's stance on console gaming from phone OS "gaming." The Wii U is a console first and an implementation of touchscreens and accelerometers second. It's a device for gaming, not an all-purpose device, and there is a distinct market for both. Nintendo made the right move in acknowledging that distinction, so they won't be losing their target audience.

Saying that Nintendo has to compete with the iPad is akin to saying a toothbrush manufacturer has to compete with dental floss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Don't underestimate Nintendo's ability to under-deliver when it comes to new hardware. They have been behind the curve for 2 generations now. The N64 is the last Nintendo system that really went after high-end technology. Since the N64, Nintendo has decided to go with a strategy of "just barely enough", when it comes to their hardware technology. They love "just barely enough", combined with an exciting new gimmick. The new Wii U controller with the screen is obviously going to be their focus, so I wouldn't necessarily bank on them having a more advanced Wii-mote that is beyond the motion plus.

I hope I'm wrong on this one, cause they should try to have a wand that is even more accurate than a Playstation move, and they should definitely have a wireless nunchuk this time.
    I think you're 50/50 with this point. I would disagree that the Gamecube wasn't as powerful as the PS2 or Xbox. The Cube on the whole I think had better looking, but less variety of games than the PS2. You're right with the Wii being under powered compared to the PS3 and 360. The Wii U will be the most powerful system on the market for maybe 1-2 years at best until MS and Sony come out with their systems and blow Nintendo away.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Microsoft put out a blurb the other day that they see the 360 at mid-cycle and don't expect to release new hardware for 5-6 years. Basically, their new system is Kinect, and they're satisfied. Sony simply needs to ride it out longer... Wii U is looking like a Dreamcast with good timing.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-26-2011 at 10:16 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For those curious what Microsoft actually said, they just stated the following:

"We see it as about halfway through. But yes you are right, Xbox is defying the normal curve you might expect. There’s no doubt that Kinect put a huge shot of adrenaline into the business. What we are now seeing is massive swathes of families and younger audiences flocking to it. As you saw at the press conference, we are now in line with what we projected at E3 2010."

So no such statement about not releasing any new hardware for 5-6 years. I think everyone fully expects that the Xbox 360 will have some significant life left in it after a successor is released. There's no incentive to kill it off as soon as possible like there was with the Xbox, which was losing money with each console sold with MS facing huge cost from vendors like nVidia to continue production any longer.

So a lot of this second half of it's life could very well be spent as a companion to the Xbox 720, with legacy support of existing Xbox 360 owners as well as marketing it as a economical entry level platform keeping the system alive. They never said anything about when a successor is due and a console's lifecycle doesn't end the moment a successor is released.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-26-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Half way between now and 2005 puts a tentative flag around 2017. The source I got that from seemed to have paraphrased what they said. Thanks for bumping up the original statement. That's even more obtuse than they reported it.

Nintendo needs new hardware. Sony and MS don't really. If either of them go too early they are going to piss off many people, since they need this time to finally make some damn money instead of blowing it out their ass on fatal design flaws and quasi-retarded business plans.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-26-2011 at 08:26 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    So a lot of this second half of it's life could very well be spent as a companion to the Xbox 720, with legacy support of existing Xbox 360 owners as well as marketing it as a economical entry level platform keeping the system alive. They never said anything about when a successor is due and a console's lifecycle doesn't end the the moment a successor is released.
    They said something a while back about dual-platform compatibility, where Xbox 3 games downscale for 360. Assuming they stay friendly with IBM and AMD, the next hardware for MS will probably follow what the Wii and Wii U did with the same architecture pairing, but the 360 and Xbox 3 will share binaries. Just like how PC games detect, "oh, this system supports Shader Model 3.0, I'll enable the fancy effects," developers just initialize the executable with a line of code along the lines of "if platformID != Microsoft.Xbox.720_EN_US {then system.detailMode = legacy;} else {system.detailMode = engineDefault;}."

I'd almost expect Nintendo to do the same thing, now that I think about it. Imagine Skyward Sword running at 1080p with extra texture filtering when it runs on a Wii U. They've both sold so many consoles, and not everyone is going to buy a new piece of hardware (especially on the Nintendo side), so it makes sense to make new software that reaches both audiences. The Wii and 360 can't cost that much to produce right now, so why abandon a platform that's still selling?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wii u = dreamcast all over again...early may not necessarily lead to success...the market can't truly keep supporting three consoles...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast
    • Successor to a system that underperformed in the US market
    • Used an obscure GPU and helped speed along the downfall of 3dfx as a result
    • Had no support from EA
    • Had a screen on the controller that just showed dot-matrix pictures and ate batteries

Wii U
    • Successor to a system that that actually sold a few units in the US market
    • Uses a decent GPU from AMD and similar architecture to what developers are used to, no beloved GPU companies were harmed
    • EA bigwig came out for the hardware announcement just to show support, even before announcing any games
    • Has a screen that actually has some useful functionality during gaming

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mgriff View Post
    wii u = dreamcast all over again...early may not necessarily lead to success...the market can't truly keep supporting three consoles...
    With the current console generation, atleast 75% of PS3 and 360 games are multiconsole, where as in all prior generations up to and including the PSX and N64, but not the Saturn(atleast I don't think,) atleast 75%(or close) of each library was exclusive.

So it's really not any problem having three comparable systems. The Wii U since is probably not going to be very noticeably more powerful than the PS3 or 360, the Wii will get the same multiconsoles as the PS3 and 360 and fewer shovelware exclusives the other two consoles don't also get.

Everyone will buy the multiconsole titles for their favorite system and the exclusives for the other two systems. That's how it already is anyways.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I'm personally in no hurry to leap into the next generation. My 360 handles most all of my gaming needs and really after how little I've bought for the Wii I'm not entirely sure that I'll even pick up a Wii U. Graphics will probably be above what the 360 and PS3 do but given that they were released in 2005/2006 respectively; it would be an embarrasment for it not to be at least slightly more advanced. I just don't want new control schemes and unless Nintendo brings in good 3rd party support I doubt they get alot of cross console jumping. Not everyone froths at the mouth for the next Mario/Zelda/Metroid just as not everyone froths at the mouth for "Generic FPS sequel#300456"
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mgriff View Post
    And the Xbox 360 was also early to the marketplace, for just one example of many of a system getting a head start on the competition without failing like the Dreamcast did.

And the marketplace doesn't seem to be showing any evident problems of supporting three platforms now. I haven't even seen any industry analyist predicting this, and there's several that love baseless and wild speculation. What's your evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    They said something a while back about dual-platform compatibility, where Xbox 3 games downscale for 360.
    The problem with that is the disc that they'd use. The Xbox 360 utilizes the DVD format and there's a near certainty that a successor will require something with more capacity (Even the WiiU is going to be utilizing single layer Blu-Ray disc for game data).

Doesn't sound like something I'd expect to happen (Would people upgrade to a new platform just for things like a bit higher HD resolution and such, if the same games play just fine on their current console)?

I wonder if they're considering that just for XBLA. Would make a lot of sense there to have their downloadable arcade releases have cross platform functionality so future post 360 XBLA releases could still be played by 360 owners (At least for the first few years until so many move on to the 720 that it stops making sense to limit XBLA developers to the capabilities of the 360).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-27-2011 at 02:06 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    The problem with that is the disc that they'd use. The Xbox 360 utilizes the DVD format and there's a near certainty that a successor will require something with more capacity (Even the WiiU is going to be utilizing single layer Blu-Ray disc for game data).
    Why wouldn't the new system be compatible with DVDs as well as whatever new format they'd choose though? Just like BluRay players are today.

I'm wondering if MS will go BluRay and put money into Sony's pocket, or if they'll shy away from that and go proprietary as I've heard Nintendo is. Regardless, I expect it will play DVDs if they're serious about backwards compatibility.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    Why wouldn't the new system be compatible with DVDs as well as whatever new format they'd choose though? Just like BluRay players are today.
    I'm sure it will be able to read DVD's, I wasn't suggesting it wouldn't.

But we're talking about the idea of Xbox 720 games that can also have the disc be put into the drive of a Xbox 360 and be played in a downgraded mode on the Xbox 360. So that would mean Xbox 720 games would have to be released on DVD if the Xbox 360 is to read them.

And that isn't about to happen since DVD is increasingly seen as cramped for space. Sony has moved on, Nintendo is moving on, and DVD is starting to present a space problem for developers on the Xbox 360 as well. So I'm sure they're going to move on to some format that offers higher capacity (My money is on Blu-Ray), which automatically kills the thing NayusDante was discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    I'm wondering if MS will go BluRay and put money into Sony's pocket, or if they'll shy away from that and go proprietary as I've heard Nintendo is. Regardless, I expect it will play DVDs if they're serious about backwards compatibility.
    Nintendo is supposedly going with single layered Blu-Ray disc, so don't read too much into the word "proprietary". They used the same phrase for the GCN and Wii, and both basically relied on the DVD format and required licensing several DVD related patents from the necessary companies. They just never paid the DVD Forum any royalties, so they couldn't call them DVD's and they couldn't enable video playback on their devices like the Wii (Even though the hardware is fully capable of it).

Blu-Ray doesn't belong to Sony anymore than DVD did. Sony was just a major player in both the DVD Forum and Blu-Ray Disc Association and hold several of the many patents that various industrial partners hold in regards to both technologies. So they're just one of many shareholders in the technology.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-27-2011 at 08:55 PM.