Thread: NES/Famicom Starting Guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Default NES/Famicom Starting Guide

Among my gamer friends, I've the biggest retro gamer of the group. I've been asked by a lot of people what is the best NES or Famicom to buy, which system is best suited for young kids, which one is best for collectors, and many more such questions. After being asked for the millionth time such questions, I decided to write a handy dandy buyer's guide for 8-bit Nintendo systems.

This is intended for first time buyers as well as long time veterans. With so many choices out there, I thought I should go over the strengths and weaknesses of each. Hope you guys enjoy!

NES/Famicom Starting Guide
    http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2...tarting-guide/
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not a bad read. You definitely need to run over it again and proof read. I noticed a good few typos and errors.

Other than that, you may want to clarify a bit more on some the technical stuff considering you're trying to appeal to those unfamiliar with the hardware. For instance, you talk a lot about NOAC clones, but never actually say what that means. Explaining exactly what a NES-on-a-chip clone is would ease people's confusion.

Also, you may want to scale back on some of the bad language. Just saying.

Oh, and might I suggest you check out the Retron 3. It plays NES, SNES, and Genesis, and the latest model of it has fixed some of the compatibility issues of older clone systems. It plays Castlevania 3 and Mario RPG just fine. Also, it has controller ports for all three systems on it. Very cool.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An informative article for beginners, for sure, but as above, check your spelling / grammar. In many cases, you write its as "it's" which means "it is". Check "it's" in each sentence that you wrote; does it make sense as "it is"?

Also: creigslist -> Craigslist

"all the reliability issues that comes with" -> "that come with"
    "If this common scenario sounds familiar, you, then..." This sounds a bit accusatory, or at least a strange way to address the reader. Not "familiar to you"?

Usually people write tvs as TVs.

"dust has a tenancy" -> tendency
    "interfering with normal usage" -> use. Usage means customary use, not "being able to use" as it does in this case.

Are the nicknames of the toploader NES these: "NES Toaster, Frontloader, ol’ gray box"???

Oh, and you used the term "finally" twice, one sentence right after another, in the same paragraph.

More later when I have more time. A little more info: the Famicom Titler also has S-Video out, not just composite (or RGB which has to be hacked out of the system.)

Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Alright guys thanks for the help with typos and errors. I do truly appreciate when people point out mistakes so I can correct them and make the article even better.

I tried to tone down the language except where I felt it appropriate. I added in my thoughts on the RetorN3 (how did I miss that the first time around?) added in some info on what Famiclones and NOACs are and fixed a bunch of typos. If you guys spot anything else, feel free to let me know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was a good read, nice job !

I agree with ccovell, it is more a "beginners starting guide" (you would have to go a bit more into detail for long time veterans I think), but it is really informative, and I like how you included pro/cons with each model. Also, as Rev. Link said, I'd tone down some of the bad language...
    Last edited by lkermel; 04-06-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

"This is why generally speaking, blowing on cartridges helps to get your games to work."

Statements such as this impair the legitimacy of the article.

While blowing in NES games may be a common practice - it's generally agreed upon by collectors/enthusiasts that any positive effects are short-term and there's far more potential for increased connection failure with repeated use of the technique.

Whether or not the process causes long-term-damage such as mold/corrosion on the cartridge pins is still up for debate, but I'd never ever cite blowing in cartridges as a method to "help" anything.

Not to mention that "dust" in and of itself as a legitimate culprit for connection failure is debatable in its own right.

Why not instead advise cleaning techniques such as rubbing alcohol, pencil erasers or non-conductive metal polish?

Also, there are multiple commercially available portable NES Clones more modern and technologically advanced than the Game Axe Color. Why not list those?

The FC Mobile II is the best of the bunch at the moment if you're only going to list one.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-06-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I didn't state that I recommended blowing on cartridges, just pointed out why it so often works. I've updated the paragraph with information regarding treatments for the problem, including a link to a tutorial I wrote last fall. Should be good now.

As for the FC Mobile II, I've never owned one. I own all the systems mentioned (except for the Titler) and extensively play tested each before presenting the pros/cons list. Without any experience with the FC Mobile 2, I don't feel I can speak to the pros/cons of the device. Having never seen one in person, I don't have a sense of its weight, the quality of the screen, battery life, comfort, game comparability, if its an NOAC Famiclone or even if it's 72 or 60 pin. I think this info would be vital in deciding if one should spend the money on the device or if you'd be better off with another Famiclone.

This is also why I haven't listed the C1, PlayChoice 10 or VS cabinets no experience with them and I don't own them.

On the other hand, if you'd like to write a entry for the FC Mobile 2 in the data/overview/pros/cons format I used, I'll add it in and credit you as you wish. The more info the better.
    Last edited by Satoshi_Matrix; 04-06-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I didn't state that I recommended blowing on cartridges, just pointed out why it so often works. I've updated the paragraph with information regarding treatments for the problem, including a link to a tutorial I wrote last fall. Should be good now.

As for the FC Mobile II, I've never owned one. I own all the systems mentioned (except for the Titler) and extensively play tested each before presenting the pros/cons list. Without any experience with the FC Mobile 2, I don't feel I can speak to the pros/cons of the device. Having never seen one in person, I don't have a sense of its weight, the quality of the screen, battery life, comfort, game comparability, if its an NOAC Famiclone or even if it's 72 or 60 pin. I think this info would be vital in deciding if one should spend the money on the device or if you'd be better off with another Famiclone.

This is also why I haven't listed the C1, PlayChoice 10 or VS cabinets no experience with them and I don't own them.

On the other hand, if you'd like to write a entry for the FC Mobile 2 in the data/overview/pros/cons format I used, I'll add it in and credit you as you wish. The more info the better.
    Ah. Gotcha.

It wasn't clear that you were writing based on ownership/hands-on experience of each console/portable.

Here's my pro/con list on the FC Mobile II feel free to use them:

Pros:

Includes AC Adapter
    Runs on AA Batteries, about 3-4 hour battery life
    Proper B,A button configuration
    Turbo buttons
    A/V out
    High Quality LCD screen with no noticable motion blur
    Includes 2 external controllers and a wireless light gun

Cons:

Not compatible with Castlevania III and some other NES titles (standard Famiclone compatibility issues)
    Included controllers are infrared and can be blocked
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-06-2011 at 06:50 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"