Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragon's Lair for PSP

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Dragon's Lair for PSP

We're truly in a golden age of Dragon's Lair home ports.

Thanks to the frame-by-frame HD re-master several years back and the ease of quality video file compression, we're seeing great port after great port of the Don Bluth laserdisc classic.

Following in the footsteps of the iOS, DS and DSi Ware releases - the recently released PSP (PSN Download only - $7.99) version is no exception.

Great video quality, accurate gameplay, audio and scoring, and a decent file size (under 300MB) makes it a great option for PSP owners looking to take Dragon's Lair on the go.

Nice to see that Digital Leisure has finally hit a consistent stride where quality is concerned.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

thanks for the info. I'm sure Dragon's Lair would look great on the PSP, but personally I don't think anything will surpass the GBC version of the great granddaddy of all FMV games.

I personally like when animation is turned into sprites and forced to animate as such. I guess that's why I love the Sega CD version of Time Gal so much.

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2...eview-sega-cd/
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    thanks for the info. I'm sure Dragon's Lair would look great on the PSP, but personally I don't think anything will surpass the GBC version of the great granddaddy of all FMV games.

I personally like when animation is turned into sprites and forced to animate as such. I guess that's why I love the Sega CD version of Time Gal so much.

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2...eview-sega-cd/
    The GBC version is a techincal feat indeed. While it's far from arcade authentic, it's a blast to play on the GBC/GBA.

I've always much prefered it to the god-awful Sega CD era of PC and console ports when Digital Leisure seemed to be intent on re-imagining the move sets for each room and using unauthentic level branching and audio effects.

Thankfully we're past that. Like I said, this is truly a golden age of arcade authentic laserdisc ports.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

How many ports of this game do we really need though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    How many ports of this game do we really need though?
    Eh *shrug* it's really in the same realm as something like Pac-Man and Space Invaders: an iconic classic from the golden age of arcade gaming with a very dedicated fan base.

Now that technology has caught up to the point where we can have arcade perfect ports on iPhones and DSes expect to see it on every console and portable that Digital Leisure can easily port it to.

As one of those fans who cut my teeth on the arcade original, after suffering through 20 years of imperfect, mostly shitty ports I can't find much of a reason to complain.

If they keep bringing it to devices I own, I'll probably keep buying it.

I'm sure there are die-hard Pac-Man, Tetris, Super Mario Bros., Myst, Frogger, Bejeweled etc. etc. fans that do the same for their favorite games each time that they're ported and re-ported to a new platform.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I first bought this for my dsi wanting one on a handheld. Then saw it was available for the psp so I downloaded it for the psp and took the ds copy back. Not only is it $13 cheaper but it's a much better translation. Love it.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Eh *shrug* it's really in the same realm as something like Pac-Man and Space Invaders: an iconic classic from the golden age of arcade gaming with a very dedicated fan base.

Now that technology has caught up to the point where we can have arcade perfect ports on iPhones and DSes expect to see it on every console and portable that Digital Leisure can easily port it to.

As one of those fans who cut my teeth on the arcade original, after suffering through 20 years of imperfect, mostly shitty ports I can't find much of a reason to complain.

If they keep bringing it to devices I own, I'll probably keep buying it.

I'm sure there are die-hard Pac-Man, Tetris, Super Mario Bros., Myst, Frogger, Bejeweled etc. etc. fans that do the same for their favorite games each time that they're ported and re-ported to a new platform.
    You've hit the proverbial nail on the head. As a die-hard Pac-Man fan, I've bought the game many times over on multiple consoles and in several different iterations. I've done the same for a few other game franchises as well.

I was stoked to see the Wii compilation of the Bluth games and I really need to get off my duff and pick it up. As far as a PSP version goes, I'm quite happy the game is available for the platform but it would have been nice to see a UMD release as well as the digital copy (though I imagine the cost to profit ratio for such wouldn't be very financially sensible for Digital Leisure or whomever the rights holder is).
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just going to ask about the Wii version. I've been thinking about getting it myself. Is it a good port?

Plus, I really want to track down that GBC version now!
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link View Post
    I was just going to ask about the Wii version. I've been thinking about getting it myself. Is it a good port?

Just make sure it's the GBC ONLY game, not the god awful GB platformer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Is the GB Platformer a port of the NES one or the SNES one?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

It is it's own unique version of hot garbage GB platforming.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's a port of a ZX Spectrum game, Roller Coaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_Coaster_(video_game)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    It's a port of a ZX Spectrum game, Roller Coaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_Coaster_(video_game)
    Hah! That's awesome, never knew that.

And now that you mention it, it does feel a lot like a Spectrum game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The Gameboy version is released by CSG Imagesoft, the same guys that released the awesome (I thought it was fantastic) nes version. Although the gameboy version is completely different, it is just as good.

For whatever reason the developers took the successful hit Spectrum game Roller Coaster, re-drew the graphics, threw Dirk in the game and called it Dragons Lair: The Legend. So it may not really be an original Dragons lair game, but its still a fun one.

This Wiki can fill you in on the details. I really like Roller Coaster and I also find Dragons Lair: the Legend a ton of fun.

It is it's own unique version of hot garbage GB platforming.
    Blasphemy!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Looks like GameGuy beat me to it!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Blasphemy!
    Okay.

As a port of a ZX Spectrum game it's forgivable, and likely a quality interpretation of that game. (Which I'm pretty sure I have on a Spectrum collection.)

But to claim that the NES, GB or SNES "platformer" versions of Dragon's Lair are on any level acceptable as some type of quality parity to the actual LaserDisc game is absurd.

Also, while you're certainly entitled to your opinion of the NES version, I believe it's widely regarded as a poorly made, overly difficult/needlessly frustrating game that has very little to do with the original save the aesthetics of controlling Dirk and going through a castle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    The Gameboy version is released by CSG Imagesoft, the same guys that released the awesome (I thought it was fantastic) nes version. Although the gameboy version is completely different, it is just as good.
    Not sure if trolling...
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Not sure if trolling...
    For every notoriously bad, critically panned game out there, you know there are people that love them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Okay.
    But to claim that the NES, GB or SNES "platformer" versions of Dragon's Lair are on any level acceptable as some type of quality parity to the actual LaserDisc game is absurd.
    No. I wasn't trying to claim that the Nes and Gameboy versions were better than the original. I can't even really compare them as they are all very different games. I just really appreciate how each game took a different approach to bringing Dragons Lair home. Although, I can't speak for the SNES version as I have never played it.

Also, while you're certainly entitled to your opinion of the NES version, I believe it's widely regarded as a poorly made, overly difficult/needlessly frustrating game that has very little to do with the original save the aesthetics of controlling Dirk and going through a castle.
    Yeah. It seems the game gets a lot of hate. But I have always really enjoyed it. I remember the day my brother bought it and I must have sat in front of the TV for 30 minutes before I got past the drawbridge (I couldn't imagine having the patience to do this with a new game these days).

Regardless, that first screen was unlike anything I had ever played before or since. It played out like a real time puzzle. EVERY step actually mattered. EVERY action you made either rewarded you one step further or resulted in death. There was little to no room for error. It was the video game equivalent of a math equation. You literally had to take the game ONE step at a time and that didn't gel with too many people. But I like puzzles and I like NES Dragons Lair.

Not sure if trolling...
    ... ok

For every notoriously bad, critically panned game out there, you know there are people that love them.
    Yep! If my Bullet Witch sig doesn't express this then I don't know what will.
    Last edited by Wraith Storm; 04-12-2011 at 05:48 AM.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got the Wii version, the PSP version, and the original GBC copy and IMHO their all great. The Wii version is one of the best I've played on a home console. The PSP is awesome for a handheld.