Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Switch Box not working with PSONE

For some reason my:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-VH911-Vide.../dp/B00008X5DE

RCA Split box isn't working with my PSONE with either the original first party cables or third party s-video cables. Anybody have any idea what is going on here?

edit: I should add that I *COULD hear sound. Just no video.
    Last edited by teh_L0ki; 04-09-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

You are gonna have to isolate the problem.

First step would be to bypass the switchbox for the video cable. (they make cheap rca to rca connectors). If you have no picture still then the problem is either in the video cable from the ps1 to the switchbox or the ps 1 itself. Swap out a cable you know is working (one of the audio ones will do) and if ti now works it is the video cable. If not then it is in the ps1.

If it works when you bypass the switchbox (but before you swap anything out) then it is likely in the switchbox. See if there are any screws to take it apart and if there are you can do that and spray some tuner spray (available at radio shack) and spray the contacts that the switches hit - you may as well spray them all since if one is problematic the others will likely develop the same problem.

(Sometimes a faulty cable will be hard to test out - you move it to test it and it works - you move it back and it doesn't. (This is because one of the wires is broken but will still make contact (and lose contact) if moved.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Bumppo View Post
    You are gonna have to isolate the problem.

First step would be to bypass the switchbox for the video cable. (they make cheap rca to rca connectors). If you have no picture still then the problem is either in the video cable from the ps1 to the switchbox or the ps 1 itself. Swap out a cable you know is working (one of the audio ones will do) and if ti now works it is the video cable. If not then it is in the ps1.

If it works when you bypass the switchbox (but before you swap anything out) then it is likely in the switchbox. See if there are any screws to take it apart and if there are you can do that and spray some tuner spray (available at radio shack) and spray the contacts that the switches hit - you may as well spray them all since if one is problematic the others will likely develop the same problem.

(Sometimes a faulty cable will be hard to test out - you move it to test it and it works - you move it back and it doesn't. (This is because one of the wires is broken but will still make contact (and lose contact) if moved.
    Yes but in this case I tested it out. Two separate sets of cables from the ps1 worked when attached directly to the tv, but I received only audio from any slot on the switcher. However, the switch box works fine with all my other systems including a gamecube, xbox, and ps2 in every slot.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the cable is busted. You should opt for a component PS2 cable instead of the svideo one since the ps1 and 2 use the same connector

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalhat View Post
    If the cable is busted. You should opt for a component PS2 cable instead of the svideo one since the ps1 and 2 use the same connector
    The cable works when directly connected to the tv. It was my understanding unmodded ps1s couldn't do component, or is that not the case?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno, ill give it a shot tonight and see if that works

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And after tinkering around I got it working... I'm not sure what was going on before, probably just me being dumb.