Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Switch Box not working with PSONE

For some reason my:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-VH911-Vide.../dp/B00008X5DE

RCA Split box isn't working with my PSONE with either the original first party cables or third party s-video cables. Anybody have any idea what is going on here?

edit: I should add that I *COULD hear sound. Just no video.
    Last edited by teh_L0ki; 04-09-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

You are gonna have to isolate the problem.

First step would be to bypass the switchbox for the video cable. (they make cheap rca to rca connectors). If you have no picture still then the problem is either in the video cable from the ps1 to the switchbox or the ps 1 itself. Swap out a cable you know is working (one of the audio ones will do) and if ti now works it is the video cable. If not then it is in the ps1.

If it works when you bypass the switchbox (but before you swap anything out) then it is likely in the switchbox. See if there are any screws to take it apart and if there are you can do that and spray some tuner spray (available at radio shack) and spray the contacts that the switches hit - you may as well spray them all since if one is problematic the others will likely develop the same problem.

(Sometimes a faulty cable will be hard to test out - you move it to test it and it works - you move it back and it doesn't. (This is because one of the wires is broken but will still make contact (and lose contact) if moved.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Bumppo View Post
    You are gonna have to isolate the problem.

First step would be to bypass the switchbox for the video cable. (they make cheap rca to rca connectors). If you have no picture still then the problem is either in the video cable from the ps1 to the switchbox or the ps 1 itself. Swap out a cable you know is working (one of the audio ones will do) and if ti now works it is the video cable. If not then it is in the ps1.

If it works when you bypass the switchbox (but before you swap anything out) then it is likely in the switchbox. See if there are any screws to take it apart and if there are you can do that and spray some tuner spray (available at radio shack) and spray the contacts that the switches hit - you may as well spray them all since if one is problematic the others will likely develop the same problem.

(Sometimes a faulty cable will be hard to test out - you move it to test it and it works - you move it back and it doesn't. (This is because one of the wires is broken but will still make contact (and lose contact) if moved.
    Yes but in this case I tested it out. Two separate sets of cables from the ps1 worked when attached directly to the tv, but I received only audio from any slot on the switcher. However, the switch box works fine with all my other systems including a gamecube, xbox, and ps2 in every slot.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the cable is busted. You should opt for a component PS2 cable instead of the svideo one since the ps1 and 2 use the same connector

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalhat View Post
    If the cable is busted. You should opt for a component PS2 cable instead of the svideo one since the ps1 and 2 use the same connector
    The cable works when directly connected to the tv. It was my understanding unmodded ps1s couldn't do component, or is that not the case?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno, ill give it a shot tonight and see if that works

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno, ill give it a shot tonight and see if that works
    I google'd it after you suggested it and found some people who tried it and it didn't work. It would take a mod.

My current situation is just really weird because the splitter box has no problem passing any other signal and the ps1 has no problem working when directly connected to the TV. And it's doing it with two different sets of cables!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

That is really odd - I have two ps1's (a japanese and a u.s) hooked into my system through switchboxes (the one the japanese one is on is daisy chained into the other switcher) and there is no problem.

Non-powered/amplified switchers all act pretty much the same - they essentially just link paths with nothing but wires being physically joined - unless there is some weird grounding problem going on between your ps1 and the switcher. (Did it ever work or did you just add the ps1 to the system?)

If you have an av receiver around you could (as an experiment) route the ps1 through that and then to the receiver and see if the problem still exists.

This is a very long shot and I would be surprised if it is your problem) - I once had an audio tape switcher (this was long before even video tape decks existed) that needed slightly longer prongs on my patch cords (not all are exactly the same length) to make proper connections - I took it apart and pushed the contacts in and it ended that problem. If the cords you used for testing weren't among the ones you know worked that might be it - but like I said it is a very long shot.

Edit - How new of a tv are you trying to hook it into? From what I can find online it seems that older gaming systems sometimes have compatibility issues with newer tvs in the video signal department (and will display a blank screen) - it might be that using the switcher adds some resistance that degrades the signal just enough so the tv won't display it. (And the other systems for whatever reason are putting out a better signal so degrading them a bit isn't showing up.)
    Last edited by Natty Bumppo; 04-09-2011 at 06:51 PM.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah just tried with a model 5501 ps1 and the component was a no go. the alternative route is to use a ps2 with component output and play your ps1 games. This way you get the benefit of the sharper video signal and 2 systems hooked up for the cost of 1 on your switcher.

your problem is most likely with the switch however. you could take it apart and clean contacts and check solder joints. Other than that, its best to just use anther switch. probably wont be worth your time and effort to send the old one back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Over component, you wouldn't be able to play all of your PS1 games, or even all of your PS2 games(Ico), since you can't get a 240p signal over component, which is what most early games output.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FireStar View Post
    Over component, you wouldn't be able to play all of your PS1 games, or even all of your PS2 games(Ico), since you can't get a 240p signal over component, which is what most early games output.
    i have never had an issue playing any ps2 game over component on an SDTV

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Bumppo View Post
    That is really odd - I have two ps1's (a japanese and a u.s) hooked into my system through switchboxes (the one the japanese one is on is daisy chained into the other switcher) and there is no problem.

Non-powered/amplified switchers all act pretty much the same - they essentially just link paths with nothing but wires being physically joined - unless there is some weird grounding problem going on between your ps1 and the switcher. (Did it ever work or did you just add the ps1 to the system?)

If you have an av receiver around you could (as an experiment) route the ps1 through that and then to the receiver and see if the problem still exists.

This is a very long shot and I would be surprised if it is your problem) - I once had an audio tape switcher (this was long before even video tape decks existed) that needed slightly longer prongs on my patch cords (not all are exactly the same length) to make proper connections - I took it apart and pushed the contacts in and it ended that problem. If the cords you used for testing weren't among the ones you know worked that might be it - but like I said it is a very long shot.

Edit - How new of a tv are you trying to hook it into? From what I can find online it seems that older gaming systems sometimes have compatibility issues with newer tvs in the video signal department (and will display a blank screen) - it might be that using the switcher adds some resistance that degrades the signal just enough so the tv won't display it. (And the other systems for whatever reason are putting out a better signal so degrading them a bit isn't showing up.)
    The Switcher has always worked perfect in the past and like I said it still passes audio through, just not video on s-vid or composite on the PSONE but every other system in every outlet is fine. The PSONE is a new system so I had never tried to hook it up before but it works just fine with the tv as long as it is plugged straight in (tv is kv-27fs100) old sony 2002 SDTV.

I really don't understand what is going on myself. Could you tell me what swichboxes you are using? I linked mine in the first post... I have a separate amplified box for doing component but this one is purely unpowered...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teh_L0ki View Post
    The Switcher has always worked perfect in the past and like I said it still passes audio through, just not video on s-vid or composite on the PSONE but every other system in every outlet is fine. The PSONE is a new system so I had never tried to hook it up before but it works just fine with the tv as long as it is plugged straight in (tv is kv-27fs100) old sony 2002 SDTV.

I really don't understand what is going on myself. Could you tell me what swichboxes you are using? I linked mine in the first post... I have a separate amplified box for doing component but this one is purely unpowered...
    im just using a phillips one, nothing special, its un-powered have you tried to swap the input number you are hooking the ps1 up to on the switch? is it just the one input connector you are having an issue with or all of them? have you tried hooking something else up through the connector you are using the ps1 on?

this is the switch i'm using

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-4-...lector/3904683

*edited the certainty of the switch i was using
    Last edited by cynicalhat; 04-09-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

im just using a phillips one, nothing special, its un-powered have you tried to swap the input number you are hooking the ps1 up to on the switch? is it just the one input connector you are having an issue with or all of them? have you tried hooking something else up through the connector you are using the ps1 on?

this is the switch i'm using

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-4-...lector/3904683

*edited the certainty of the switch i was using
    I have tried hooking other things up and they work fine. It doens't work in any of the inputs. What model of playstation do you have? I have the slim PS one variety, and I don't know if that makes a difference. My switch is also unpowered.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SI have a original formfactor PS1 model 5501. I tested it out on my switch and it works fine. My switch is also unpowered. Check for damage to the pins and connecors. Maybee try another cable for kicks and giggles.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SI have a original formfactor PS1 model 5501. I tested it out on my switch and it works fine. My switch is also unpowered. Check for damage to the pins and connecors. Maybee try another cable for kicks and giggles.
    I have tried another cable and it is the same situation. Works when plugged directly into the tv, not when plugged into the splitter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

I had a similar problem like this. If I recall correctly, it had to do with me using S-Video while others used Composite. What else is hooked up to it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post
    I had a similar problem like this. If I recall correctly, it had to do with me using S-Video while others used Composite. What else is hooked up to it?
    I tried unhooking everything else from it and still no luck.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have we checked the cable that goes from the switch to the TV?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have we checked the cable that goes from the switch to the TV?
    It works fine for my gamecube.

I did more testing, and I can get the box to pass a composite signal. If anything else is hooked up with an s-video in, the playstation won't pass the signal (I have s-video connectors for the psone as well).