Thread: Help with Star Wars Trilogy Arcade (Sega Model 3)

Insert Coin (Level 0) LimeiBook86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help with Star Wars Trilogy Arcade (Sega Model 3)

Update Got the game running! But now I need help with the monitor, please see below. Thanks!

Hello everyone,

This is my first jump into the world of arcades, so please forgive me for asking newbie questions or not knowing the correct terminology. I would appreciate any assistance possible.

I recently purchased a Star Wars Trilogy Arcade off eBay, this weekend I drove to pick it up and I finally have it in it's temporary home of my room. Now the machine works says the seller (and I have photos of it up and running too), but it's beat up, the wood panels have cracks and it's in a bit rough shape (The machine fell down while in transport before I bought it). So needless to say it isn't the prettiest arcade -- but it works!

Only issues I know of is that the display isn't perfect, besides the usual burn-in I saw some of the colors were "off" or not showing up, but that's not the issue I need help with today...

My problem:

When I went to pick the machine up the guy had basically everything disconnected or unplugged. The Model 3 Game board itself was not disconnected thankfully. Now I have the manual, but I'm still hesitant of course, I don't want to fry this thing and it doesn't show many wiring diagrams.

I have the power supply and large power board (sorry I don't know what else to call this - it's a large board with what looks to me like power supply related elements) attached with most of the cables, but there are a few lose cables and I think one fuse is missing from the large power board. I don't want to plug it in or turn it on until I am sure everything is connected correctly. The last thing I want to do is break the poor machine I just lugged home over 200 miles.

So I'm wondering if anyone here may be able to assist me. I guess what I'm looking for is any wiring diagrams or photos. I'll be happy to take photos tonight of my setup and what is plugged into where.

I would appreciate any help on this subject as I'm eager to power this thing on and give it a go.

Thank you!
    -Steven
    Last edited by LimeiBook86; 04-13-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This should have a lot of information you need: http://www.sauservice.com/manuals/STW_html/stwmain.html . What cabinet do you have (upright, deluxe bench, or deluxe)?

In most cases, the majority of wires will only connect to one place, so you're pretty safe to just start plugging. I'd also do a sanity check when plugging in that both sides of the connectors have same color wires on each side (rarely do they change wire colors across connectors). The connectors are usually the same color as well.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DogP View Post
    This should have a lot of information you need: http://www.sauservice.com/manuals/STW_html/stwmain.html . What cabinet do you have (upright, deluxe bench, or deluxe)?

In most cases, the majority of wires will only connect to one place, so you're pretty safe to just start plugging. I'd also do a sanity check when plugging in that both sides of the connectors have same color wires on each side (rarely do they change wire colors across connectors). The connectors are usually the same color as well.

DogP
    Thank you so much for the information! I have the standard upright cabinet, forgot to mention that earlier! I actually plugged everything in and got it working. Made a little YouTube video too, as you can see some colors are a bit off. The subwoofer speaker cable colors were different, but it's the only connection that fits so I'll have to plug that in later. Now onto the monitor, but I'll post about that a bit later.

I'll take some photos to aid others in the rare event they may be useful.
    Last edited by LimeiBook86; 04-11-2011 at 01:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool... congrats. The monitor looks pretty good in that video... the only thing I can maybe see is some discoloration, which most likely just needs a good manual degaussing. I'd go into test mode and do some of the monitor tests, and post some still pictures from that if you still need help.

DogP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks! Yeah I think I need to degauss the screen. I may get a proper wand or ring online. Any recommendations?

I went to show the CRT test and the color pattern only shows toward the center, and it looks fine - however the colors are distorted towards the edges of the screen. The grid / alignment test was pretty good. Only slight banding / curving at the very edge of the screen. I'll post photos soon.

I really appreciate the help and advice, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a big degaussing coil, sorta like: http://cgi.ebay.com/Degaussing-Coil-...item2a0d413c57 , and it works well. I don't think the wands work as well, and I have a small coil, which doesn't work very well on larger monitors.

If you have a AC powered plug-in drill (not battery powered), you could try running that near the monitor for a quick/cheap attempt (just don't hit the screen with the drill!). The motor causes a magnetic field similar to a degaussing coil. I've heard some say they've had luck using actual magnets as well... either waving them around by hand, or attaching them to a drill so it's constantly moving. Just be careful not to use too powerful of a magnet too close to the tube.

The other possibility is that the rings on the tube neck have moved. Those are kinda a pain to get adjusted properly, so I'd definitely try the degaussing coil first. If you need to adjust them, be sure to mark their current position first, and check for previous markings (if there are previous markings, try them first).

DogP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it may be the rings on the neck. After all the arcade machine did take a nasty tumble! I used the back of a soldering iron (which I see has the same effect as a drill as I've read). I was able to get a small amount of purple removed from the corner. But it looks like the issue is more serious than a degauss can fix.

I guess I would have to adjust the neck. I do not want to do this myself due to the obvious risk of shock. There are a few TV repair places near by, but of course the arcade isn't exactly portable. Unless they made house calls. Is adjusting the neck simple? I'd assume it's something delicate.

The center of the screen looks pretty perfect. However the edges are worse. There seems to be a gain or loss of color. The 'Parental Advisory Warning' screen I believe is supposed to be black (I think), shows large red and green rings (with only a bit of blue ring). On a white screen you surprisingly see not much at all, just the lower right corner.

You can see my images attached below: arcade-colors.png = Parental Advisory screen, arcade-colors2.png = Sega screen, arcade-colors3.png = Level Screen, sega-compare.png = Before and after my attempted degaussing. It only helped a bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your help so far!

-Steve

Update: At first I only saw 'focus' and 'brightness' on the back of the monitor. But then I looked at the side and there are about 14 little white switches/knobs and 5 bigger black knobs. Maybe these will help? Looks like only 2 screws hold the board into place, it has a ribbon cable. I'd be happy if I could drag the board outward so I can take a look at the knobs easily. As of now they are facing the wood of the cabinet and not easily accessible at all. Maybe these will help adjust things? *hopeful* Photo added below!

Some items say normal things like 'R cut off' and 'G cut off' etc, but then there are things that say 'Sub Cont', 'ABL', 'H. H. 24', 'H. H. 15', 'PIRA', etc. Not sure if any of this is useful.
    Last edited by LimeiBook86; 04-13-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I can't imagine the butt end of a soldering iron doing anything to help degauss a monitor. A soldering GUN, maybe, but still I wouldn't think that to be as effective as a drill or a magnet. I have the Randy Fromme arcade repair DVDs and in them he fixes a monitor both with a drill and a magnet (from a hard drive, I think) and he makes it look pretty easy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    I can't imagine the butt end of a soldering iron doing anything to help degauss a monitor. A soldering GUN, maybe, but still I wouldn't think that to be as effective as a drill or a magnet. I have the Randy Fromme arcade repair DVDs and in them he fixes a monitor both with a drill and a magnet (from a hard drive, I think) and he makes it look pretty easy.
    I'm sorry it was actually a soldering gun, and it did have an effect on the picture. I read about the method online, so I don't know how effective it was or how weak it may have been but, either way in a week or so I may have access to a degaussing coil as my father has an old one somewhere... I'd hate to pay $30 + shipping for one if I don't need it.

To me it looks like something may be mis-aligned, the colors are in rings that are a bit too 'perfectly' arranged. But maybe that's just me.
    Last edited by LimeiBook86; 04-13-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quick question, should I be concerned about Bad ROMs? I did the memory test on the arcade and I got two bad ROMs listed. The game never gave me any trouble, but the bad ROMs listed are: IC 17 and IC 18. I re-seated them, but no changes, I guess they're really dead. I can't imagine how hard it would be to get another set...

Nevermind, fixed this!: Sadly I've run into more trouble, I replaced the test / service buttons with old PC power buttons (and they work fine). So I went to the Service menu and went to Calibrate the joystick. So I exited and hoped now that I would be able to aim all the way to the right. Well now I can't move the joystick horizontally at all!!

<fixed>The service menu shows the values move when I move the stick, so something is working. But when I'm playing the game it's not working at all. This is beyond frustrating, I can't think of what could be wrong. And now when I go to the 'Input' menu, it flashes for a second, and won't let me enter it. My guess is a cable or something is shorted out -- but if so why does the joystick register while in Service mode? This is unplayable without out, I can't even think about what could have caused this. All I did was replace buttons and re-connect the "Event" button (which works fine). I even removed the button battery on the Sega Model 3 board, which seems to have changed nothing. </fixed>

Fixed it! The 'volume knob' (Sega's manual words, not mine) on the Joystick was loose. I had to adjust it and then secure it in place with duct tape. Now it's working great! Yay! I don't know if I can get the monitor fixed, but I may go ahead and order that video board to see if I can get VGA outputed, it's worth a shot.
    Last edited by LimeiBook86; 04-16-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the funny monitor colors, none of those controls will help. Seeing that the soldering gun helped the problem, I'd really look at trying a better way to degauss before doing anything else.

The rings are these: http://www.coinop.org/repair/monitor...rity_rings.jpg , attached on the neck of the tube. They should be right behind the yoke (part at the bottom of that picture, with all that copper wire wrapped around it). But adjusting them is pretty difficult to get perfect, and if you adjust it when it was already fine, it's difficult to get back, unless you have markings of their original position. Also, the convergence looks fine, so if you need to adjust any, it'd probably be the purity rings. But if your rings moved, it seems unlikely that just the purity rings would have gone out of wack. I'd just visually inspect them, and maybe just wiggle them a little bit to check whether they're loose or tight.

The other possibility is that the shadow mask on the CRT tube itself got damaged from the fall. Shadow mask damage is uncommon, but seems to happen exclusively from dropping a monitor.

DogP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the advice! I tried an actual degaussing ring and it didn't have an effect. So something must have happened when it fell. Oh well, maybe I'll figure it out. But it isn't bad to play it how it is really.

Thanks!
    -Steven

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(duplicate post sorry).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need help with error code and joystick problems

Hello,

First off I'm so glad I found this forum and all you helpful peeps! My buddy's wife bought him a Stars Wars Trilogy Deluxe Arcade game. The day she purchased it, we tested it and everything worked pretty good. We had to move it to the basement, and this is where the problem stars. (Man that was a scary day!) So we unhooked the wiring harnesses for relocation. One of the harnesses was all cracked and fell apart as I unhooked it. I believe this is the one that goes to the Y axis motor. It is a 10 pin. Their where two wires pulled loose from another harness (both black wires). I believe this goes to the lights on the back of the chair. We have the service manual but the wiring diagrams are not clearly printed.

After relocation I made up the wires on the 10 pin to match up with the 10 pin on the x axis motor. I had to guess on the two blacks that got down under the seat. So now we are having issues with the Y axis (target Moving up and down). When you start up the machine is says something about joystick configuration error. And tells you to reboot. Before the relocation the joystick went through a smooth movement phase during this process. Now it is only goes to the left, then center, then left a couple times with hard clicks. no Y axis movement.

So here is what we have done so far!
    1st we re-calibrated the joystick.
    2nd we tested the Y axis potentiometer. It tested good!
    3rd we wired a similar potentionmeter to replace the one above. It was a 5k but didn't fit the gear so we had to manualy move it during test phase.
    4th we traced the damaged harnesses to see where they went.
    5th we found the error code LCD. It read ER 20. From according to our repair book that is referring to the x axis.
    6th we opened up everything and cleaned machine free of dust, soda, and coins!

We can get into the test mode and get the game to load up, just no up and down movement. We also don't have the vibration in the joystick!
    Please let me know if you need any other information, or if you have any suggestions. My friends birthday party is this weekend and I would love to be able to have this up and running for him. He is devastated that his wife bought such an expensive and heavy paper weight.

Lastly we need to adjust the monitor also. I believe the only way is with the remote. Which we don't have. So if any other suggestion on how or where to find the remote, they will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Jeffrey

I live in Waynesbor, VA

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Have you tested the voltage at the control panel end? The pots working is one thing, but usually there's an issue with the ground on the controls when there's no read at all.