Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I just played Angry Birds

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So I just played Angry Birds

For the first time. I know I'm behind the rest of the world, I like it that way.

What is all the fuss about? It's a neat thing to play for free as a flash game, but I'm not even sure I could justify it as an app purchase.

THIS is what's going to supplant conventional gaming? O RLY?

What is Nintendo worried about? No one who was ever a potential DS/3DS buyer is ever going to NOT buy that hardware because they see Angry Birds as a superior cost/amusement proposition. I'd rather pay $40 for Pokemon Black than play this crap for free.

People who were never going to be hardware buyers? Sure, they'll eat this up, but why should Nintendo care?

What am I missing? Why does anyone care about this?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While the game is not complex it's an excellently executed play mechanic that fits capacitive touch smartphones perfectly.

It's pick up and play, it's addictive in terms of "almost got it..one more try" type gameplay, it's not patently "easy" to achieve everything in terms of achievements, trophies, etc.

Also, it's fair to note the developers have served their community well by continuously updating the software every several months with new levels, etc.

It may not be for everybody, but there's nothing about it that's worthy of boycotting. It's a fun, inexpensive title that has given a lot of people a lot of enjoyment (and frustration).

And, you may not like it, but based on its selling power, you should know that you're in the minority. iPhone and Android markets aside, after two months on the PSN it's the all-time top selling download on the service.

People dig Angry Birds and I can't think of a reason not to like it. It's fun!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mean, I don't HATE it.

I think it's a perfectly good smartphone game. I don't tend to be able to rationalize buying many smartphone games, just because I carry a PSP/DS/3DS everywhere.

It's not that I don't get why smartphone users like it, I don't get why Nintendo and Sony are worried about something like this.

It's fine, but it's nothing whatsoever like Peace Walker or SFIV 3D or Pokemon Black, etc. This is, in no way, a replacement for those. How are people seeing these experiences as competitive?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'm not certain that they're worried about Angry Birds REPLACING any game of the complexity of Metal Gear or Pokemon,

I think that they're worried about the shift that it could cause in casual gamers that now own a phone capable of fully meeting the portable gaming needs of those gamers that might otherwise be interested in buying a PSP/DS.

Also, they're looking at the sheer selling power of minimalist-game-mechanic low-development-budget indie softwares like Angry Birds that are decimating the sales of games like Metal Gear, etc.

I don't think that Nintendo or Sony have had it in their respective game-plans to develop, market or sell software quite like that, nor were they expecting it to happen.

And any time they notice the market shifting or have a reason/cause to re-think a business strategy on that level, well, that's where you're getting the "worried" stuff coming out in news bytes.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I got it for 60p on my iphone and I've more than got my money's worth out of it. It's a piece of harmless fun, this generation's tetris, and as I recall, all the various re-releases Tetris, Pac-Man, Space Invaders et al have received haven't destroyed gaming as we know it, in fact many of them have been praised on these very boards.

You just know if someone at Atari had come up with the idea for an angry birds-type game in 1981 it'd probably be hailed today as an 'all time classic' and retro fans worldwide would be pointing at the iphone releases and saying 'this is what gaming should be about'. Frankly, if anything, it shows that innovation still abounds even at the most basic level of gaming design. There is simply no way that can be a bad thing.

And Cut the Rope is infinitely better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's just a fun game to play for a few minutes now and then.

And its only 99 cents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner View Post
    I know I'm behind the rest of the world, I like it that way.
    Sooooooooooo, you like to be behind the rest of the world, we see how you are...

Btw, Angry Birds rocks and is great simple fun like Lemmings or Worms was/is. Simple, fun, accessible. Not sure who hyped you up on it, it's just a simple fun game.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

It's basically single player Artillery Duel. I'm with Wangan... it's fun, but game of the year is a tad excessive. And when I say tad, I mean a lot.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    I got it for 60p on my iphone and I've more than got my money's worth out of it. It's a piece of harmless fun, this generation's tetris, and as I recall, all the various re-releases Tetris, Pac-Man, Space Invaders et al have received haven't destroyed gaming as we know it, in fact many of them have been praised on these very boards.

You just know if someone at Atari had come up with the idea for an angry birds-type game in 1981 it'd probably be hailed today as an 'all time classic' and retro fans worldwide would be pointing at the iphone releases and saying 'this is what gaming should be about'. Frankly, if anything, it shows that innovation still abounds even at the most basic level of gaming design. There is simply no way that can be a bad thing.
    It does simple well. Many of the biggest gaming hits don't require alot of a player and its gameplay is simple. Not bogged down with 40,000 features or anything like that. Angry Birds is one of them. It doesn't hurt that the characters are cute and those damn dastardly pigs stole their eggs. DAMN YOU PIGGIES!

And Cut the Rope is infinitely better.
    While I like Cut the Rope, it's in no way 'infinitely better'. There arn't many ways to beat a level, there is one way. The discovery is in the 'way' to beat the level. There is no real replay in the levels once beaten (unless you didn't get the 3 stars). The candy won't swing any faster no matter how many times you play it. Going slightly faster and getting 100 points for the time bonus only allows for so many replays, which for me have been next to none.

Angry Birds physics (which is often dasterdly like those damn egg stealin pigs) allows for so much replayability and greater score increases.

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Btw, Angry Birds rocks and is great simple fun like Lemmings or Worms was/is. Simple, fun, accessible. Not sure who hyped you up on it, it's just a simple fun game.
    This. I play Angry Birds on the iPad all the time. It's simple fun, that is perfect for pickup and drop playing. 10 minutes or an hour works quite well.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

I mean, I don't HATE it.

I think it's a perfectly good smartphone game. I don't tend to be able to rationalize buying many smartphone games, just because I carry a PSP/DS/3DS everywhere.

It's not that I don't get why smartphone users like it, I don't get why Nintendo and Sony are worried about something like this.

It's fine, but it's nothing whatsoever like Peace Walker or SFIV 3D or Pokemon Black, etc. This is, in no way, a replacement for those. How are people seeing these experiences as competitive?
    how it affects the market and perhaps keeps sony and nintendo kinda on the edge is the same reason as

Itunes vs CD Stores
    Kindle vs Book Stores
    and the one i hate thinking about the most
    Amazon vs Brick stores in general.

Its cheaper, easier, more worry free.

Iphone/Ipod/Ipad and Droid based smart phones and tablets are keeping up as far as technology wise speed/graphics/capabilities with its portable gaming rivals the Gameboy and PSP

thing also that these platforms are doing is something that Nintendo has been doing since the birth of the game boy

Cheap simple easy to program and make games that you can basically turn on and jump right to it.

This is why to some the Atari Lynx and the Sega Game Gear could not pull out the same sales numbers as the game boy despite having better capabilities.

cause think of it your average portable gamer is the kinda person whos in the car on a road trip with friends or family, On the bus, On the plane, on the train, in the taxi, out for a walk in town and they don't need a elaborate game to get them going. Just something simple will do just fine.
    Which is why when tetris hit the game boy back in the day.. it blew up to numbers no one predicted.

So for once someones stepped up to the plate and is trying nintendos strategy but in a much more easier to access and much more wide range aspect when it comes to games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I love Angry Birds (and its assorted pseudo-sequels). It's the 2nd best way to spend 15 minutes before you go to bed.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

love birds got em all..great game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I downloaded it out of curiosity back when it was still in Beta and found it frustratingly addictive, it really is one of the best smartphone games out right now. What's even better is that Android users get the game for free, although $1 is not a bad price at all for a game that's constantly releasing new content via updates for free.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is all the fuss about? It's a neat thing to play for free as a flash game, but I'm not even sure I could justify it as an app purchase.

THIS is what's going to supplant conventional gaming? O RLY?

What is Nintendo worried about? No one who was ever a potential DS/3DS buyer is ever going to NOT buy that hardware because they see Angry Birds as a superior cost/amusement proposition. I'd rather pay $40 for Pokemon Black than play this crap for free.
    As I've posted in other threads:

Simple, shallow, cheap iOS games serve a purpose. They're good for wasting a few minutes in line at the grocery store or right before going to sleep. They're quick diversions and are priced appropriately... but they don't take the place of full-blown DS/PSP/3DS games. Shallow $1 games are very popular and a lot of fun, but there's still a huge market (and huge revenue stream) for deeper $40 games. Both types of games fill different needs in different situations and aren't really competing for the same market share.

iOS games are like YouTube videos: quick, cheaply produced, and very inexpensive to watch. DS/PSP/3DS games are like feature films: longer, higher budget, and cost more to watch. Both categories co-exist perfectly fine because they're serving two different purposes in two different situations.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 04-13-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's an awesome and addictive game. Perfect for on the go gaming, and with enough difficulty to challenge the most hardcore of gamers. Hard to beat that, especially when it is free.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually play the darn thing on the PS3 as a PSP mini, so the gaming on the go rationalization doesn't work in my case. And I'm still fascinated with it, it kind of sucks you in even though it can be really frustrating at times. I have a sneaking suspicion the PS3 isn't the best platform to play it on, though, or that the mini version isn't that great. Sometimes it can be really hard to precisely aim the birds. There are places where I know I could win if I could just hit a certain spot but I always hit either to the left or right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    I actually play the darn thing on the PS3 as a PSP mini, so the gaming on the go rationalization doesn't work in my case. And I'm still fascinated with it, it kind of sucks you in even though it can be really frustrating at times. I have a sneaking suspicion the PS3 isn't the best platform to play it on, though, or that the mini version isn't that great. Sometimes it can be really hard to precisely aim the birds. There are places where I know I could win if I could just hit a certain spot but I always hit either to the left or right.
    The sensitivity on the analog controls for the Minis version is indeed frustrating. Can be very tough to achieve the desired trajectory.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    iOS games are like YouTube videos: quick, cheaply produced, and very inexpensive to watch. DS/PSP/3DS games are like feature films: longer, higher budget, and cost more to watch. Both categories co-exist perfectly fine because they're serving two different purposes in two different situations.
    ^^
    This adequately describes where I am with the issue.

While perfectly entertaining, I find it implausible that this sort of content would threaten Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft in any material way.

Sales HAVE been declining for some franchises and platforms though, Peace Walker got creamed, but I still don't necessarily think that lots of buyers of Portable Ops elected not to buy Peace Walker because they had spent $1 on Angry Birds.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    It's basically single player Artillery Duel. I'm with Wangan... it's fun, but game of the year is a tad excessive. And when I say tad, I mean a lot.
    Batting around a potential sequel name, I came up with Swollen Cocks. Seemed appropriate.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

^^
    This adequately describes where I am with the issue.

While perfectly entertaining, I find it implausible that this sort of content would threaten Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft in any material way.

Go have a talk with Zynga. They'd like to show you 60 Million Farmville players. They'd also like to show you numerous additional revenue streams in games like Mafia Wars, Frontierville, YoVille and the like. Their free games, coupled with additional seed monies from numerous sources (including EA) shows that this stuff is serious business.
    Last edited by PapaStu; 04-13-2011 at 04:41 PM.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog