Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sealed Guardian Heroes - Is This Factory Sealed? Price?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sealed Guardian Heroes - Is This Factory Sealed? Price?

I recently picked up a copy of Guardian Heroes pretty cheaply. It appears to be sealed, but I really don't have any experience with sealed Saturn games. The seal is not in very good condition, but I have taken several pictures which you can view in the following album:l

https://picasaweb.google.com/dsanfor...nY8Y3R8t240AE#

Is this a factory seal?

Given the condition, what do you think it would be worth?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am going to say no...but that just my opinion.
    ~TisLord~

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

No way, that's a cheap shrink wrap job.

https://picasaweb.google.com/dsanfor...63836980813490

That's your key picture right there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

worth crap but it's legit i guess. still worth crap. very bad condition
    OWNER: http://www.sealedvideogames.net
    My Rpg Collection
    Always looking for FACTORY SEALED snes and sega and psx RPG's.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, Dark Sol you'd say it is a factory seal then? Given the condition the seal might not be worth a lot, but maybe to a CIB collector the condition would be guaranteed perfect if they intended on opening it.

Also, did I sent a PM on sega-16 about your rpgs but I never heard back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ohh hell mate yes i saw a PM, forgot about it!
    Yes it's legit i guess. But even for a cib collector maybe not be worth much. The hinge is broken as i see and a huge crack on front.
    My Rpg Collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not worth much? CIB copies of this game go for $80-$100 regularly on eBay. The cracked case might bring the value down a couple bucks, but all the buyer has to do is buy a $1 generic sports game with a perfect case and swap it out.

Also, while browsing the completed listings I noticed a loose disc sold for $66 last week, that's ridiculous!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

... That looks nothing like the few sealed games I own. The plastic looks too... crappy. Too flimsy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    ... That looks nothing like the few sealed games I own. The plastic looks too... crappy. Too flimsy.
    Agreed. That's almost certainly a re-wrap and probably a Gamestop/EB re-wrap job as they were gutting Saturn games even back then. Factory sealed first party Saturn games had thicker wrap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not really. All sega games had shitty wrap like that. With minor difference
    My Rpg Collection

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Sol View Post
    Not really. All sega games had shitty wrap like that. With minor difference
    Sorry, but you're incorrect. I have a pretty substantial sealed Saturn collection, and every first party Sega game which I personally bought from Incredible Universe/Fry's or Toys R Us has a thicker wrap than what is pictured. The only sealed Saturn games I have ever seen with this thinner wrap is resealed stuff. Even third party publishers tended to use a thicker wrap with some opting to do an overlapping vertical seam in the back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

Cheap shrinkwrap jobs often end up with that GIANT HOLE IN THE BACK WRAPPING. Just saying after performing some shrinkwrap jobs and having seen some bad ones in my time.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Sorry, but you're incorrect. I have a pretty substantial sealed Saturn collection, and every first party Sega game which I personally bought from Incredible Universe/Fry's or Toys R Us has a thicker wrap than what is pictured. The only sealed Saturn games I have ever seen with this thinner wrap is resealed stuff. Even third party publishers tended to use a thicker wrap with some opting to do an overlapping vertical seam in the back.
    How can you understand thickness of the wrap just from the pictures? Maybe you can use telekinesis and can touch it across the screen? lol really.
    I have all sealed rpg's for saturn inluding Guardian Heroes as well as all sega cd games as well. The wrap on all these games is crap. Like on all sega games. Sometimes it is thicker sometimes not, sometimes with ventholes, sometimes with bigger holes , sometimes with hangtab sometimes not. And so on.. The ONLY option when you can say saturn game is a reseal when you see wear UNDER the wrap, like used manual edges or something..This is the only way.
    My Rpg Collection

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

How can you understand thickness of the wrap just from the pictures? Maybe you can use telekinesis and can touch it across the screen? lol really.
    I have all sealed rpg's for saturn inluding Guardian Heroes as well as all sega cd games as well. The wrap on all these games is crap. Like on all sega games. Sometimes it is thicker sometimes not, sometimes with ventholes, sometimes with bigger holes , sometimes with hangtab sometimes not. And so on.. The ONLY option when you can say saturn game is a reseal when you see wear UNDER the wrap, like used manual edges or something..This is the only way.
    Disagree on the Sega first party stuff and I can tell just by looking at the pictures as thicker wrap actually crinkles and wears in a very particular way. Since you didn't buy any of your games in stores directly from authorized retailers, you have nothing to compare them to. Chances are, many of yours are re-seals as Gamestop/EB was a huge Saturn game seller in the day and the Saturn was probably the first system where they actively gutted games to prevent theft. They used the exact sealing style pictured in the OP prior to reselling them.

On the other hand, I have a complete US Saturn collection which I bought at the time the Saturn was still in stores and roughly 80% of the games are still sealed mint. They are actually very uniform on the first party side with a thicker wrap and a very distinctive edge seam. The only publishers I know of that used really skimpy wrap like that posted (i.e., the kind that gets snags in it from normal shelf wear and has those thin seams along the edges) was Acclaim on releases like Darius Gaiden, etc...

We can debate this all day, but you're the only one that seems convinced this is a factory seal and even you don't sound too convinced other than a vague opinion that Sega used crappy wrap, so I would question your opinion on this one.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Just wanna see

I just want to check in and see if my panzer dragoon saga a reseal?

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131365

I may as well see...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have complete saturn us collection and 80% sealed? have a link to proove this? I am really curious. Yes we can debate forever. But things that you say are based on some weird subjectiveness like "crinkles and wears in particular way".
    Games are being worn in TOO MANY ways. They can't crinkle in particular way untill you crinkle hundreds by yourself .

Also what do you call first party? second party? third party? how do you sort them out?
    Some games were sealed THIS or THAT way. Like most sega games i said. I have games from Victor Ireland himself and they have no ventholes, while i have 100% legit Burning Rangers with 59$ sticker on it and it has ventholes. Sega didn't have consistency like SNES games had (h-seam). So your way to determine legit games is kinda one-way, since you purchased them all in 1-2 places like you said. I purchased games in dozen places and opened many of them to check contents and actually see the difference.
    My Rpg Collection

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You have complete saturn us collection and 80% sealed? have a link to proove this? I am really curious. Yes we can debate forever. But things that you say are based on some weird subjectiveness like "crinkles and wears in particular way".
    Games are being worn in TOO MANY ways. They can't crinkle in particular way untill you crinkle hundreds by yourself .

Also what do you call first party? second party? third party? how do you sort them out?
    Some games were sealed THIS or THAT way. Like most sega games i said. I have games from Victor Ireland himself and they have no ventholes, while i have 100% legit Burning Rangers with 59$ sticker on it and it has ventholes. Sega didn't have consistency like SNES games had (h-seam). So your way to determine legit games is kinda one-way, since you purchased them all in 1-2 places like you said. I purchased games in dozen places and opened many of them to check contents and actually see the difference.
    Well, I've been collecting video games since 1987 and sealed since about 1992, so I'd say I have some experience on the subject. First party would be anything published by Sega and therefore pressed in one of the Sega approved replication facilities. Third party would be anything published by an entity other than Sega and typically they would be pressed in an approved facility except in rare cases toward the end of the Saturn's life where Sega pretty much allowed companies to go wherever was cheaper. Working Designs for example had pretty skimpy wrapping on Magic Knight Rayearth and I suspect Sega didn't really care too much where they went since it was the last Saturn game.

I would question how you know that Burning Rangers is legit. Unless you personally bought it at the store where the sticker was from and know for a fact it wasn't resealed by comparing it to their other copies at the time, that's really no proof. In fact, MSRP of Burning Rangers was not $59, it was $49.99 just like virtually all games at the time. $60 MSRPs didn't come along until the current generation. It could be a Canadian copy which would have had a $59 MSRP, but it is likely it was opened to add a French language manual insert.

Similarly, I am somewhat suspicious having bought one of Victor Ireland's games on Ebay a few years back and comparing it to a copy that I bought from a retailer the day of release literally right out of the case that Vic may have simply taken unsealed copies and sealed them himself. In fact, having worked with one publisher in the mid-90s, I know for a fact they always got copies of their games for internal use not sealed so that employees wouldn't turn around and sell them and so they could punch the UPC if needed. Not saying Vic did in fact do that, but it's a possible explanation of why the wrap is odd.

As I said, you have never once personally purchased a Saturn game from a brick and mortar retailer. All of your games have been purchased years after the fact from other collectors or stores which didn't sell the Saturn stuff when it was new. I also bought many Saturn games from Walmart and Best Buy and frankly, that wrap was pretty uniform too. Unfortunately, a lot of unsold Sega CD and Saturn games ended up back at liquidators in the late 90s and I have seen tons that were repackaged in new cases and rewrapped so they could be sold as new. I'm guessing you may have a lot of those. They are technically new I suppose, but not factory sealed unfortunately.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 04-15-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by staxx View Post
    I just want to check in and see if my panzer dragoon saga a reseal?

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131365

I may as well see...
    Those seams, the hang tab and those tell-tale sealing bumps on either end of the bottom seal look identical to my copy which I bought day of release at Toys R Us, so I would say yes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You two have sealed copies of PDS? Yall should get them graded. They'd easily net you $800-$1200.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Those seams, the hang tab and those tell-tale sealing bumps on either end of the bottom seal look identical to my copy which I bought day of release at Toys R Us, so I would say yes.
    Yup it actually is a sealed copy because I am the original owner. I just wanted to see if anyone can actually tell or they will just sprout off "IT'S A RESEAL"....Thanks Bojay1997