Thread: New eBay Rates - More Gouging.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New eBay Rates - More Gouging.

So according to their 2011 Spring Seller Update listing fees for up to 50 items will be free.... but they're going to start including the shipping cost into the seller's final value fee. On one hand this will help eliminate the people who list an item low and then charge $20+ for shipping. On the other it's just going to punish the legitimate sellers who have been charging reasonable shipping fees all along.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformat...pdate2011.html
    Last edited by Griking; 04-14-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is just garbage, every new update they announce has higher fees. Ratings and feedback tell everything and will bring the trolls down with their overpriced shipping. No need to punish everyone, Once the last few items I have listed are sold then I don't plan on selling on their ever again unless it's something really spectacular.

I seriously hope Ebay goes down soon!!
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post

I seriously hope Ebay goes down soon!!
    Couldn't agree more.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they got some decent competition they would atleast change but unfortuantely they are pretty much a monopoly because none of the other sites(like Game Gravel) even come close to their sales numbers.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

The real problem is that by including the cost of shipping they gouge the seller in a place where they aren't supposed to be able to make money in the first place. This will in turn cause prices to go up for shipping across the board as sellers pass the cost onto the buyers potentially driving people away.

Include the fact they also own PayPal and eBay is hitting you when you list, hitting you when the auction ends and hitting you when you receive your payment. The only time they don't nail you is when you transfer money to your bank account and I'd imagine PayPal has been thinking of a way to do just that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    The real problem is that by including the cost of shipping they gouge the seller in a place where they aren't supposed to be able to make money in the first place.
    This is surely why it was implemented. Shipping was never to make profit from, but in the past we've seen sellers price items for a penny and then ask $20 shipping for something that will not be more than $2 to ship. Yes, it's the buyers responsability to check the listings, but that still does not excuse this type of activity.

I believe that shipping charges should be included in the eBay fees ONLY if it's over the amount needed or at least specified by eBay. For instance, if the shipping cap was only $4, but the seller decides to ask $7 for the same service, then yeah, the seller should be charged fees for shipping. But if it was $4 or below, I dont think it's fair to charge a shipping fee.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Free standard shipping and drive up that list price. The free listings have to be .99 or less starting bid though. As long as Video Game category BIN listings are 5 cents, I'm alright. After that... We'll have to see what the buyers decide because they will have to carry the hike in the end, or go elsewhere. Sellers will probably leave first, but when the buyers start leaving, eBay is toast.

Wait for it... Facebook/Google auctions. That's the scale required to topple eBay as things are.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-15-2011 at 07:44 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    This is surely why it was implemented. Shipping was never to make profit from, but in the past we've seen sellers price items for a penny and then ask $20 shipping for something that will not be more than $2 to ship. Yes, it's the buyers responsability to check the listings, but that still does not excuse this type of activity.

I believe that shipping charges should be included in the eBay fees ONLY if it's over the amount needed or at least specified by eBay. For instance, if the shipping cap was only $4, but the seller decides to ask $7 for the same service, then yeah, the seller should be charged fees for shipping. But if it was $4 or below, I dont think it's fair to charge a shipping fee.
    Some of us end up charging a lot because the USPS charges $10 or more to send a one pound package to the other side of the country. It's calculated shipping.

Don't think all of us are trying to screw people over with high shipping fees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Some of us end up charging a lot because the USPS charges $10 or more to send a one pound package to the other side of the country. It's calculated shipping.

Don't think all of us are trying to screw people over with high shipping fees.
    Oh, I know that.

What I am referring is to obvious price gouging. For instance, sending a DS game from Florida to California, via first class mail, for $20.

Or charging $30 for a package going via parcel post, when in fact it will only cost $10.

Many sellers hide the shipping cost in those Paypay labels, not because it was the default option, but because they try to hide the real shipping costs.

Oh, Ive also seen how sellers say a Playstation 3 game weighs 4 pounds and charge that same I flared price...via first class mail!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

You know that.

eBay DOESN'T.

... Or rather, they do, and they want a bigger piece of the FeePal pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks I am going to be forced to pair down my collection. (Moving) Any suggestions I have a ton of stuff and I don't know where to begin. TIA I was thinking about ebay.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post

... Or rather, they do, and they want a bigger piece of the FeePal pie.
    I'm pretty sure they do. The bastards pretty much care about making money than anything else. I recall reporting obvious price gougers and those selling pirate games...eBay did NOTHING.

No surprise really, but still.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm thinking of changing all of my heavy listings, basically anything that would cost over $10 to ship, to local pickup only. I'll use past sales to get an idea of value, undercut those prices by 20% or so, make that my starting price, and list them as "no shipping, Seattle area pickup only!" This will allow me to avoid the fee on shipping, the normally unrecovered shipping costs (packaging, gas to Fedex, etc) and all the Paypal fees (local pickups pay cash) which will mostly offset the lower prices. I may even simultaneously list the items on Craigslist at an even lower prices and pull the ebay ads if it sells on CL.

This will have the added benefit of pissing off buyers who would otherwise be willing to pay for shipping. When they ask why, I'll just say "ebay/paypal charges a 10% tax on shipping cost. Either I'd have to take a loss on shipping (not fair to me) or you'd have to pay more than shipping actually costs (not fair to you). Please tell ebay how thier new policy is harmful to buyers." Although I have no real hope that ebay's policies can be changed, I do know that they don't care about sellers' opinions so maybe the buyers have more influence.

Sure I'll have fewer sales, but I'm OK with that.