Thread: Sega Model 3 to VGA monitor??

Insert Coin (Level 0) LimeiBook86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Model 3 to VGA monitor??

So my issue is I recently got a Star Wars Trilogy Arcade, the game plays great, but the monitor colors are pretty bad. The machine toppled over, so I'm currently trying to figure out how to fix that. (See here)

But while I do that, I'm curious about other options. On the Model 3 board I have there's a VGA port, labeled C1 VGA I believe, I haven't tried hooking it up to an LCD I have (I don't think it's that simple), I believe because of frequencies and this and that.

So then I came across this, does anyone know if this adapter would work?
    http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cga.../prod_291.html

It's only $39, which doesn't seem too bad. Seems to convert a bunch of frequencies and so on, I'm unsure if it's really compatible. But I though one of you guys and gals here may know.

I found out from this forum post on this site here that the Sega Model 3 arcade I have is a medium resolution monitor running at 24.80khz

Thanks!

Update: Interesting, I found an old Focus TView VGA to Composite/S-Video adapter I got a computer show a while back. It's actually for Mac monitors, but I have VGA adapters for Mac ports. Anyway, when I plug the arcade into the adapter, I actually get a picture via the S-Video or Composite jacks on my TV! I'm surprised it accepted (or showed) such a low frequency.

Now the image isn't the right side, some colors are off, and it seems that there's some odd stuff. But it's still interesting. Image below:

Last edited by LimeiBook86; 04-14-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the Model 3 board I have there's a VGA port, labeled C1 VGA I believe, I haven't tried hooking it up to an LCD I have (I don't think it's that simple), I believe because of frequencies and this and that.
    Well just try it and see. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work, unless you have to set some option or dipswitch to enable VGA mode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah my question is wether the adapter is compatible with the signal the system is sending out. I got some sort of VGA output (shown on the attached image) via an old VGA to Composite video adapter. The adapter would basically convert the signals so they would look much better and proper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Model 3 should be Medium Resolution (EGA), which that adapter should convert with no problem. Well... if the adapter isn't broken to begin with. I personally have one, and haven't had any problems, but I've heard several people complain that they work for a few minutes, then completely wash out the screen. I don't know if it's something they're doing wrong, or just defective. I haven't tried my adapter with an EGA video source yet, but I've heard of others having theirs work fine.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you want to hook it up to a composite monitor? I'm just curious as to why you don't want to just use an actual VGA monitor. You can get fairly large CRT monitors for peanuts these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No I want to use the VGA port on the board to hook it up to a CRT or LCD since the arcade monitor's colors are screwed up. At the very least if it works it'll let me see how the colors should be when I try to repair the screen (if I do), or I can just play it via the VGA attached screen as a last resort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

I would suggest finding a JAMMA rig for the thing and using it to hook up to a standard arcade cabinet that has JAMMA support.

Though I would take a look at the service manual for the machine and the monitor to see if you can recalibrate the electron guns.
    Last edited by APE992; 04-18-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It worked!! The VGA adapter I have linked above works flawlessly with the arcade! At first I kept getting 'No Signal' errors. But I kept changing modes on the adapter and then while the arcade was on I plugged in the VGA cable from the arcade (ouput) into the adapter's input. A $10 LCD monitor I picked up at a thift shop worked without issue! Yay!

Photo attached of the arcade hooked up to a standard VGA monitor.

Also here's a YouTube video recorded directly from the arcade. The adapters I used were a bit odd, the one linked above, then a VGA to S-video/Composite adapter by Focus TView, finally a S-Video to FireWire adapter to record it to my Mac. Whew! The colors in the video are off, but I think that's because the power adapter I have for the converter is a bit weak.
    Last edited by LimeiBook86; 04-21-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What happens if you just connect the game's VGA directly to the monitor?
    I don't understand why you need a special adapter to connect a VGA source to a VGA monitor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    What happens if you just connect the game's VGA directly to the monitor?
    I don't understand why you need a special adapter to connect a VGA source to a VGA monitor.
    The signals and frequencies that the arcade sends out are not readable by most monitors. Only high-end or expensive monitors can accept those signals natively.

Also the resolution is not something a monitor would normally accept. For example this arcade spits out a signal at 24.80KHz, most modern monitors won't accept a signal with a frequency lower than 28Khz or 36Khz, etc. So the adapter is needed. So if you plug in a normal monitor nothing will probably happy, my monitor just said "No Usable Signal" and turned off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah ok. I see what you're saying. The VGA out isn't a true VGA signal as defined in the VESA standard, but something like EGA.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LimeiBook86 View Post
    It worked!! The VGA adapter I have linked above works flawlessly with the arcade! At first I kept getting 'No Signal' errors. But I kept changing modes on the adapter and then while the arcade was on I plugged in the VGA cable from the arcade (ouput) into the adapter's input. A $10 LCD monitor I picked up at a thift shop worked without issue! Yay!

Photo attached of the arcade hooked up to a standard VGA monitor.

Also here's a YouTube video recorded directly from the arcade. The adapters I used were a bit odd, the one linked above, then a VGA to S-video/Composite adapter by Focus TView, finally a S-Video to FireWire adapter to record it to my Mac. Whew! The colors in the video are off, but I think that's because the power adapter I have for the converter is a bit weak.
    I have a Sega Jurassic Park Lost World that I need to replace the 50" TV monitor on. It is also a Sega model 3 system. Will the VGA convertor you used work for me too? The output on my model 3 board is a VGA output and it goes into the monitor with a red, green, blue and Sync cable. How did you hook the card up? Do I do VGA from the system 3 board to VGA in the adapters input, then VGA from the adapters output to component to the new 50" TV??? do you have pics of how you set yours up? Could mine not work because it is a gun game and has the extra Sync cable?? Thanks in advance for your answers.