Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unreleased handheld console found.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Unreleased handheld console found.

The story: Back in 2005 Shanda, a Chinese electronics firm ( not as shady as it sounds: for what it's worth, they're traded on the NASDAQ stock exchange) decided the time was right for china to enter the videogame market in a serious and legitimate way. It was announced that they were going to challenge Nintendo and Sony, and develop a home console and a handheld.

They apparently test marketed the home console, the EZ Station ($800 retail?), and claimed to have had a very positive response. Then with much fanfare Shanda's handheld, known as the EZ Mini, was shown at a electronics expo in late 2005. And then.....nothing. Well almost nothing. Records seem to indicate that Shanda was forced to pull the plug on their entire video game venture due to a conflict of interest with one of their corporate partners.

So recently I friend of mine in China actually found a pair of production samples for the EZ Mini, and I bought them. They arrived today and here are my impressions:

Each unit appears brand new. They are both white, with removable plastic film still covering the screen. They each have a custom wall charger. No box was ever produced, so they came in plastic bags and soft pink foam. A small barcode sticker is on the back of the system. These appear to be enabled with both BlueTooth and WiFi, but I have not yet tested these features. There is a slot on the top, between the speakers, that accepts SD and MMC cards. The unit has a touch screen, and a small retractable stylus is included. The EZ Mini takes a second for the load screen to activate. The main menu offers games, Music, video, ebooks, and downloads. These menus appear in a combination of Chinese and English. As you can see, the EZ Mini is about the same length and thickness as a DS Lite, in it's closed position.

*note: screen protector-film has not been removed in some pics.

Shanda planned to develop 1500 (!) games which would have been downloadable from an online store, through the EZ Mini's USB port. Since the "store" never materialized, and I have no technical "hacking" experience, I assumed that actually using a Production sample of a canceled handheld to play games was out of the question. Yet much to my surprise, I quickly discovered that mine had a small amount of pre-loaded software included.

Some of the text is Chinese, but I've found a Kirby/Zelda hybrid, a beautiful medieval hack-n-slash (koei-esque), and a fun space shooter, which prompts you to hold the unit vertically, wonderswan style Also is a much appreciated pack a Taito classics including Bubble Bobble, Space Invaders, and many others. (the Taito games all contain the proper copy-write credentials and seem like fully authorized ports).

Everything looks surprisingly professional and it seems a real shame that Shanda didn’t get the opportunity to push things past the test phase. Some of the load screens seem incomplete and during boot-up some raw code-gibberish can be seen briefly, but otherwise things are very polished. I'm optimistic that with a bit of translation help from my friend, I can unlock more of the EZ Mini's potential. In fact I just made the menu background flip to green instead of default red.

Here's some links:
    http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/p...da_ez_mini.htm

http://www.digitalworldtokyo.com/ind...t_outta_china/

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/artic...s-retreat.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one more shot of the menu for Space Invaders. There's at least 4 different unique arcade versions to play: Cabinet, table-top, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

those do look surpingsly well made, nice find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Thank you for sharing, nice piece of history you have.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Those like in great condition and even better that they have some games on them.

Nice score.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I was definitely not expecting to find games hidden in there. Delightful surprise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Sorry double post
    Last edited by swlovinist; 04-15-2011 at 11:34 PM.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

There were so many handhelds announced around the release years of the DS and PSP that some more of these unreleased devices should start appearing soon.

They announced they'd have 1500 games available online at launch? I'm wondering if there was emulation involved. Either that, or you'd end up with loads of Flash games. It's hard to know, since they're a Chinese company and their country is known for its noncompliance of international copyright laws. That's possibly why it didn't take off, Chinese electronics companies don't exactly have the greatest track records. Plus, $800 for a handheld in a country where they would rather buy cheap pirate hardware than pay full price for a quality machine doesn't sound like a great business plan. Hell, if a handheld is more than the price of whatever Nintendo device is on the market at that time then that handheld is going to flounder and disappear, as history has shown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 800 $ was for the home console, which was marketed also as a PC. I't just a hunch, but the think the 1500 games business was more delusions of grandeur than shady emu.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't see it doing terribly well in that time period. Today, however, I see a huge untapped market for something like this. If they could produce it for under $100 and let it run Android...

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If this is a Chinese handheld, I wonder why Space Invader's menus are in Japanese. Unless they planned to distribute it there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I think my EZ Mini has 2 original games, each in their own sub folder, then as mentioned a large pack of Taito titles. I read that before flirting with hardware development, Shanda was primarily known in China for making a hit online game called "The Legend of Mir". Perhaps that's one of these 2, I don't know.

Game #1

and Game #2.....

I've found an article from 2004 that also mentions that Shanda had developed two new games a MMORPG and a game called "The Sign". Genre unknown.

Here's a link...
    http://www.chinatechnews.com/2004/08...with-investors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    If this is a Chinese handheld, I wonder why Space Invader's menus are in Japanese. Unless they planned to distribute it there.
    All the Taito games each display a disclaimer (in english) stating that the games were intended only for the japanese market.

Every article I've found on the EZ Mini said that Shanda had no plans to sell there products outside of China.

I think the Taito package of games was only there for the purpose of demonstration during development and the Expo in '05 when the unit was shown to the public.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oops. Double post.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I have to say, it is rather good in the graphics department by the looks of it...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This would have been a fun 2D console... The resolution is obviously higher than the GBA. It's like a Chinese GP32 or something like that. How's the build quality, weight, etc? Responsive buttons and easy d-pad, or is it a piece of trash like a Popstation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    This would have been a fun 2D console... The resolution is obviously higher than the GBA. It's like a Chinese GP32 or something like that. How's the build quality, weight, etc? Responsive buttons and easy d-pad, or is it a piece of trash like a Popstation?
    Hmmm, well IMO the build quality is above average, but not up to the standards of say, Nintendo. It's comfortable to hold. It has good weight for it's size. The screen is recessed a few millimeters from the shell, as to resist scratches. The D-pad works well, but I think it would be more ideal if the "A", "B" buttons could stick out slightly more. The button responsiveness is good in-game, but slow on the menu screens, but it's my understanding that this can be adjusted. I would say the screen is excellent; better in fact than my camera can convey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks cool, but isn't it basically just another Chinese media player, of which there are now half a dozen?

The Taito game is definitely arcade Space Invaders DX, most likely running in MAME. I cannot conceive of it being an official Taito release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ccovell View Post
    It looks cool, but isn't it basically just another Chinese media player, of which there are now half a dozen?

The Taito game is definitely arcade Space Invaders DX, most likely running in MAME. I cannot conceive of it being an official Taito release.
    Perhaps it is. But I keep thinking, conceptually it has more in common with Iphone/dsiware in terms of game delivery (download only). And that's 2005. I've been doing a bit of reading through old article about Shanda and they were clearly out of their element here. And I think that failures like this are really instructive. I think this thing, would work in 2011, provided the company behind it was a competent one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

....and here are some screen shots from the Taito bundle.

I'm not familier with this one, but it's really fun. Anyone here know it?