Thread: Are GBA Flashcarts now officially extinct?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are GBA Flashcarts now officially extinct?

Are people afraid to sell these now? Is it just Lik-sang who can't sell them? I kept putting off buying one. I hope they'll still be available. I never got to try any of those emu's for GBA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can still buy them:

http://www.the-console-corner.com/gba.htm

Now that I've got a Gameboy Player for my GC, I've been thinking about getting a flash cart. Can anyone here that owns one give a testimonial? Will they work with Macs?

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Can anyone here that owns one give a testimonial? Will they work with Macs?
    All the software I've seen were for PC based systems. You might have luck with an emulator. The serial based cables have a hard time writing to carts in the GBA SPs because of a lower voltage than they're used to. USBs don't have so much of an issue as I understand it..

I have the Visoly stand alone linker and 64 meg cart. It needs its own power supply but writes and reads relatively swift imo. You can backup your own roms and play them on an emulator, then write the saves from the emu back onto your real cart, which is probably why I'll never get that ridiculous Gamecube Player. And of course the Nintendo emulator is superb, worth the investment by itself if you like the 8-bit system at all. It renders the E-Reader useless by comparison!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got mine at www.jandaman.com .. but I think his stock fluctuates pretty regularly so you gotta keep checking

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I love how people bash my new favorite toyes (E-reader and GBP) without looking at the kind of gamers that those apeal to.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Default e-Reader and flashcart thoughts

Well, his point is that if you want to play classic NES games on the GBA, then the flashcart does a far better job than the e-Reader does. This is true.

Of course, there's also the fun of being able to swipe collectible cards for Pokémon and Animal Crossing and other stuff and be able to play games with them. Granted, most of the Pokémon cards I've seen play WarioWare type of mini-games but still - it's a fun add-on. I like collecting cards myself from time to time and the Animal Crossing ones are fun to collect, IMO. If you look at it solely from the "play classic games" perspective, then yeah it's worthless. The e-Reader can do more, though.

As far as Flashcarts go...I work with an EZ-Flash one that has a stand-alone cart reader that hooks up to the PC (no going through the GBA to flash). It works well and I have no problems. I haven't tried backing up entire ROMs, though, but it will back up saved games. I'm not sure where we ordered it from but I know you can get them - just not from Lik-Sang anymore.

Tanj, if you're really ambitious and technically-minded you could build your own Flashcart:

http://www.ziegler.desaign.de/GBA/gb...20flash%20cart
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know the difference in the sizes of the flash carts? (by sizes I mean 64mb, 128mb, 256mb....) Will newer games only work on larger ones? Or can any GBA game be written on one of the smaller ones? Or does the size just affect the type and amount of emulators you can store on it?
    sku-bop!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by salt peanuts
    Does anyone know the difference in the sizes of the flash carts? (by sizes I mean 64mb, 128mb, 256mb....) Will newer games only work on larger ones? Or can any GBA game be written on one of the smaller ones? Or does the size just affect the type and amount of emulators you can store on it?
    Well offhand (I've only heard of this) The larger the size, the more games it can store. For example a 256mb can store about 5-6 full size GBA games. A 128 can store about 2-3. etc. Of course the size of the game affects it, but these are typical #'s. If you create a .gba rom with PocketNES that has a shitload of roms, then you'll probably need more space for it. Simple.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Default 64, 128, 256

The first thing to realize with those numbers is that those sizes are in megaBITS - *not* megaBYTES. That means that the actual size of those cartridges is that number divided by four. The 64mb flashcart is really 16 megabytes - the same as 16 "megs" on your hard drive.

From what I understand, GBA cartridges can come in various sizes, some are 4, 8, 16, or even 32 (megaBYTES that is - in megaBITS those numbers are 16, 32, 64, 128). The only one I've ever heard of that is 32 is the Lord of the Rings one. 32 ones are expensive and as such publishers obviously don't want to use them so that they can increase their profit margin.

Depending on what size the original cartridge for the game was, you may or may not be able to fit multiple games on a single flash cartridge. If you are trying to use a ROM of LOTR, then you will need a 128mb cart and you won't be able to fit anything else on it. Of course, if you are concerned with the legality of the issue then I'm sure the LOTR cartridge is readily available at any game store - and it's surely going to be a lot cheaper to buy the original than to pick up a 128mb flashcart if that was the only game you wanted to play. Flashcarts often cost $90 or more and it's really not of any economic advantage to buy them if you a) don't care to play NES games on the GBA, and b) there are only a few games on the GBA that you really want to play and don't have the carts for.

Ah...oh yeah, that's 8 bits to a byte, not four. Never mind then
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just to clarify, divide the flash size in megabits by 8 to get the size in megabytes. GBA games are a lot smaller than they would have you believe. ;-) And if anybody can find software for Mac OS X that will work with flash kits, let me know too.