Thread: For SEGA CD unit, what is everthing required to setup with Model 1 Genesis?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default For SEGA CD unit, what is everthing required to setup with Model 1 Genesis?

I have a model 1 Sega Genesis. I want a Sega CD and I am assuming the 2nd version (the one that sits side by side with the Genesis) will be the easier model to find? What is everything required to hook up and play a Sega CD unit with a model 1 Sega Genesis? I see various things listed in Ebay auctions but I want to be certain I obtain every cord, connector etc necessary, thanks in advance.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

For the original front loading SEGA CD unit I believe you only need the AC Adapter for the CD unit, and a set of RCA cables for the audio and that's it. There's metal plate that helps lock the Genesis into place, but it's not necessary really.

For the second model CD unit with the flip top, I believe the only additional thing you should have is the extension piece that the Model 1 Genesis uses because of it's extra width. It's still not necessary, but it looks better with it.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 04-16-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Yeah you just plug it in without a game inside the Genesis cartridge port and it works. It needs nothing. The Sega CD just uses its own AC Adapter that is the same as the Genesis 1 AC Adapter. You can still get the Sega CD audio out of the Genesis itself. It's just not as good sounding as using separate audio cords out of the CD unit.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

I'm not sure how it works with a model 1 Genesis, but with a model 2 you definitely need the plate to hold the system down. Without the plate, the system just hangs there at an angle. That can't be good for the system overall.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Audio mixing cable. You don't need the EOM one that came with the SCD, but you'll need one that does the trick. Any headphone male/male patch cable of sufficient length should work. One side plugs into the headphone jack on the Gen1 and the other end plugs into the back of the SegaCD unit (both).

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Audio mixing cable. You don't need the EOM one that came with the SCD, but you'll need one that does the trick. Any headphone male/male patch cable of sufficient length should work. One side plugs into the headphone jack on the Gen1 and the other end plugs into the back of the SegaCD unit (both).
    I've never plugged in such a headphone connection arrangement on my genny 1 + scd2?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only have 1s now, but I used to have an M1 Genny and a M2 SCD. Used the cable with both set-ups (that I can recall) - the last time I used my M2 SCD was ~15 years ago. I can't say exactly what you'd be missing in the sound without it, but I do recall that the differences are stark with certain games.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently picked up a Sega CD and had similar questions... the manual actually describes the different possible scenarios quite well: http://www.segakore.fr/download.php?...2_manual_u.pdf .

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I only have 1s now, but I used to have an M1 Genny and a M2 SCD. Used the cable with both set-ups (that I can recall) - the last time I used my M2 SCD was ~15 years ago. I can't say exactly what you'd be missing in the sound without it, but I do recall that the differences are stark with certain games.
    I have a M1G/M2CD setup. From what I remember, without the mixing cable you won't be able to have both the Genesis hardware sound and the CDDA come out of the CD system's Red/White cables, but only the CDDA.

Also, while it's not necessary, there's an extra piece of plastic for the SCD2 that makes it look a lot better on a Genny 1.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I have a M1G/M2CD setup. From what I remember, without the mixing cable you won't be able to have both the Genesis hardware sound and the CDDA come out of the CD system's Red/White cables, but only the CDDA.
    I didn't realize that. I just recently unpacked one of my boxed SEGA CD units and was wondering about the mixing cable. I never owned a Genesis II system oddly enough. It's only odd because I've acquired so many Genesis over the years.

I've used a JVC X'Eye for years. I sort of forgot how much a like the original SEGA CD front loading model. It seems like they're less common on the resale market, but they don't seem to demand more money, fortunately.

Insert Coin (Level 0) kool kitty89's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You never HAVE to use the mixing cable for the headphone jack unless you want to use the stereo RCA jacks on the CD unit. (only model 2 MDs will mix through the expansion port to the CD, model 1 will mix INTO the MD, but not out of the MD to the CD -ie the model 1 has audio input lines on the exp port, but not audio out . . . without modding)

The main reason you'd even want to bother with the mixing cable would be to get the best quality red book audio and (to a lesser extent) PCM from the CD's 8 channel PCM sound chip. (both are degraded when mixed on the Genesis side, but CD-DA will be more noticeable -it also depends on the particular console you use since some will have better headphone amps than others, or less worn capacitors and such, if you haven't replaced the caps)

However, the MCD actually filters the MD sound output, so FM/PSG/PCM from the MD side could be moderately degraded in quality. (depending on the specific circumstances)

If you're already pulling stereo from the heaphone out using a simple 1/8" phono jack to stereo RCA adaptor (various types out there in male or female varieties, Y cables, plug-in/passthrough adapters, etc), you could simply use that exact same set-up.

If you're currently using mono AV or RF out, you'll be stuck with that until you upgrade. (in that case, getting a 1/8" stereo mixing cable might be about as easy as getting a Y cable or similar)

Also, the power supply for the MCD is basically identical to the Model 1 Genesis/MD. Don't worry about interchanging them. (or using a similar 8-12 V 1.2A -or higher- power supply with the correct polarity -or manually splicing the plug to switch to the correct polarity -it uses negative polarity, but positive is more common)