Thread: questions for Metal Gear Solid fans

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default questions for Metal Gear Solid fans

Hey guys, I've recently gotten into the MGS series, but there are a few things I'm confused about, even after reading the Metal Gear Wiki.

First question: What is the "Existence" disc that comes with the "Limited Edition" of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence? I've read either that its just a collection of cutscenes, or else those mixed with gameplay footage to make a cohesive three-hour movie. And, does this play on DVD players or only in the PS2? And, if I already own MGS3, is this worth getting?

Second question: What exactly are the Metal Gear Saga DVDs? and is Volume 2 a DVD or a Blu-Ray? and again, are these movie discs that play in a DVD player, or PS2 discs?

Thanks in advance.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Hey guys, I've recently gotten into the MGS series, but there are a few things I'm confused about, even after reading the Metal Gear Wiki.

First question: What is the "Existence" disc that comes with the "Limited Edition" of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence? I've read either that its just a collection of cutscenes, or else those mixed with gameplay footage to make a cohesive three-hour movie. And, does this play on DVD players or only in the PS2? And, if I already own MGS3, is this worth getting?
    The existence DVD only came with the limited edition of MGS3, as you stated. Unlike most "limited editions", though, it's actually fairly rare. Expect to pay upwards of one hundred and fifty bucks for a copy.

The contents are essentially just the CG cutscenes you've already seen by playing the game intercut with a little game play to make what some insane people have termed a movie. I own it, it's a kind of cool collectors item, but it's probably not worth the ridiculous cost to procure. And yessir, I believe it plays on regular DVD players.

Second question: What exactly are the Metal Gear Saga DVDs? and is Volume 2 a DVD or a Blu-Ray? and again, are these movie discs that play in a DVD player, or PS2 discs?
    The Metal Gear Saga discs are two DVDs (not blu-rays) that were given out as pre-order bonuses to people who pre-ordered the MGS games. Volume 1 was a bonus for pre-ordering MGS3 Subsistence, and volume 2 was a bonus for MGS4. They have a few behind the scenes documentaries, trailers, and art galleries. The blu-ray disc you're thinking of is probably the bonus disc that came with the LGS4 limited edition, which wasn't actually limited. It has different documentaries than the MGS 1 and 2 DVD's. You can find that pretty cheap at any given Gamestop.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Yes, the "Existence" disc is a reedited version of all the cinemas into one long "movie" and it also has the first MGS 4 trailer on it. Oddly enough, some small bits of cinematics from the game are actually missing from this so I just watch all of the cinemas through the "Cutscene Viewer" in the game instead. The "Existence" disc, however, only plays in PS2 systems.

Although expensive, I really like the whole "Subsistence" package. You got a new free-style camera view in-game, you got English versions of Metal Gear 1 & 2, and you got the "Cutscene Viewer" and the "Secret Theater" mode which has some pretty funny cinemas made especially from the team...

Second question: What exactly are the Metal Gear Saga DVDs? and is Volume 2 a DVD or a Blu-Ray? and again, are these movie discs that play in a DVD player, or PS2 discs
    As stated before, both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 are DVDs and play in regular DVD players. Vol.1 breaks it into 5 chapters based on the 5 main games up to that point (MG 1&2 and MGS 1-3). They talk with Hideo Kojima about each of the games. The disc also includes trailers.
    Vol.2 is broken into chapters based on the Big Boss and the 3 Snakes but is told from the viewpoint of some "mysterious" reporter....who is never identified. It also contains a few trailers for MGS 4.
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    The contents are essentially just the CG cutscenes you've already seen by playing the game intercut with a little game play to make what some insane people have termed a movie. I own it, it's a kind of cool collectors item, but it's probably not worth the ridiculous cost to procure. And yessir, I believe it plays on regular DVD players.
    No, Existence is PS2 software not a DVD, so it will only play in a PS2 or a Backwards compatible PS3.

I'm sure that somebody somewhere has ripped/copied/transferred the "movie" to a video file for viewing, but the disc itself can only "play" in a PS2 compatible device.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Buy Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence, watch the storyline, save yourself the boredom of playing through the rest of the game. The Metal Gear Solid series has great storyline(except for the second after the very beginning boat part. storyline for the third was amazing) but when it comes to gameplay, each game gets more and more annoying. The first game was actually decent, but each game further has you waiting at the exact same spot for the most opportune times to run across so an enemy doesn't see you and sometimes you may have to wait a couple minutes because you're not sure where the enemy will look next. Now they take it another step further in which you now place camouflage. If you don't have an ungodly amount of patience at some points you may as well dress yourself for combat in the snow.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-18-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Buy Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence, watch the storyline, save yourself the boredom of playing through the rest of the game. The Metal Gear Solid series has great storyline(except for the second after the very beginning boat part. storyline for the third was amazing) but when it comes to gameplay, each game gets more and more annoying. The first game was actually decent, but each game further has you waiting at the exact same spot for the most opportune times to run across so an enemy doesn't see you and sometimes you may have to wait a couple minutes because you're not sure where the enemy will look next. Now they take it another step further in which you now place camouflage. If you don't have an ungodly amount of patience at some points you may as well dress yourself for combat in the snow.
    You can only "watch" the storyline by purchasing the Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence Limited Edition set with the Existence disc which we've discussed above.

That set is pretty pricey, and personally I'd prefer/recommend just playing the game instead.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0) mattimeo310's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    mattimeo310
    3DS Friend
    4897-5967-3681

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I'd prefer/recommend just playing the game instead.
    This. The games are fun and worth playing and you get to the see the story along with the gameplay.
    My Systems: Atari 2600, 7800 Intellivision Nes(top loader) Snes Virtual Boy N64 Gamecube Wii GBC GBA(original) DS(brick) Genesis Dreamcast Ps2 Ps3 PSP(phat) PSP 3000, LYNX

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'm sure Subsistence came with a second disc that included the online mode, a few things where you had to catch Ape Escape monkeys, Metal Gear 1 and 2, and each cutscene in the game. Or maybe I'm thinking of after beating the game you get to watch each cutscene. I've never owned the limited edition so I know there was an option to watch all the cutscenes on the regular version. I thought it was on the Subsistence disc.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    No, Existence is PS2 software not a DVD, so it will only play in a PS2 or a Backwards compatible PS3.

I'm sure that somebody somewhere has ripped/copied/transferred the "movie" to a video file for viewing, but the disc itself can only "play" in a PS2 compatible device.
    Oops! Frankie is right. I just tried watching it on the DVD player, and no dice. PS2 only, looks like.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I've actually already played MGS1-3 and MG1-2, I just thought that the "Existence" disc would be a good way to show the game to a friend (who only knows MGS1 and 2) without having to play it (I had a bit of trouble getting used to the gameplay mechanics of MGS3).

But if its basically a Let's Play that only works in the PS2, I think I'll skip.

I kind of want the Saga DVDs though.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I'm sure Subsistence came with a second disc that included the online mode, a few things where you had to catch Ape Escape monkeys, Metal Gear 1 and 2, and each cutscene in the game. Or maybe I'm thinking of after beating the game you get to watch each cutscene. I've never owned the limited edition so I know there was an option to watch all the cutscenes on the regular version. I thought it was on the Subsistence disc.
    The original release did. The version included in the three pack with MGS1 and 2 doesn't have this second disc.

Konami sucks.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I've actually already played MGS1-3 and MG1-2, I just thought that the "Existence" disc would be a good way to show the game to a friend (who only knows MGS1 and 2) without having to play it....But if its basically a Let's Play that only works in the PS2, I think I'll skip.
    It is actually a good way to show him or her JUST the story. I wouldn't classify it as a "Let's Play" since there is no gameplay footage in there..it's just the cutscenes reedited into a cohesive "movie". The only thing that I don't like, which I stated earlier, is that certain small scenes are missing.
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    It is actually a good way to show him or her JUST the story. I wouldn't classify it as a "Let's Play" since there is no gameplay footage in there..it's just the cutscenes reedited into a cohesive "movie". The only thing that I don't like, which I stated earlier, is that certain small scenes are missing.
    It's also three hours or longer and very hard to watch.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    The existence DVD only came with the limited edition of MGS3, as you stated. Unlike most "limited editions", though, it's actually fairly rare. Expect to pay upwards of one hundred and fifty bucks for a copy.

The Metal Gear Saga discs are two DVDs (not blu-rays) that were given out as pre-order bonuses to people who pre-ordered the MGS games. Volume 1 was a bonus for pre-ordering MGS3 Subsistence, and volume 2 was a bonus for MGS4. They have a few behind the scenes documentaries, trailers, and art galleries. The blu-ray disc you're thinking of is probably the bonus disc that came with the LGS4 limited edition, which wasn't actually limited. It has different documentaries than the MGS 1 and 2 DVD's. You can find that pretty cheap at any given Gamestop.
    I would say "fairly rare" is a bit of an understatement for MGS3 limited edition. It's non existent at retail, and even on ebay there are only a few copies on there at any given time. If you can get a copy for $150, that's a deal...most copies I see online are $200+.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would agree with you that there's some waiting in MGS games, but I strongly disagree with you about the gameplay. With each new entry in the series, I think the storyline, gameplay, controls, boss fights have gotten better and better.