Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    crazydrunk87

Default Mortal Kombat

Does anyone have or played through the new Mortal Kombat? Looking to get some user feedback on here to justify going out and picking it up right now..thanks!
    www.ccagshow.com

Classic Console and Arcade Gaming Show
    Cleveland, Ohio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

The game has a ton of goodies within it; story mode, challenge tower...it's all really cool. I think this is one of the best fighting games in terms of being able to play by yourself and have a really good experience.

As for the fighting itself? It's actually not that bad, but I personally don't find it to be anything to rave about. If you're like me and you play games like BlazBlue and Marvel vs Capcom 3 a lot, then you've gotta brace yourself for the change of pace you're in for. It's not the fastest game (not that I expected it to be, but I wish it was a teeny bit faster), and the combo system is the "Mortal Kombat" style to where you literally just have to put in the combo instead of timing it based on the frames you see. As for how this game stacks up competitively...not sure. I haven't tried it out online yet. Although there are way too many unblockables in this game for it to be good at a competitive level, but to each his own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
    The game has a ton of goodies within it; story mode, challenge tower...it's all really cool. I think this is one of the best fighting games in terms of being able to play by yourself and have a really good experience.

As for the fighting itself? It's actually not that bad, but I personally don't find it to be anything to rave about. If you're like me and you play games like BlazBlue and Marvel vs Capcom 3 a lot, then you've gotta brace yourself for the change of pace you're in for. It's not the fastest game (not that I expected it to be, but I wish it was a teeny bit faster), and the combo system is the "Mortal Kombat" style to where you literally just have to put in the combo instead of timing it based on the frames you see. As for how this game stacks up competitively...not sure. I haven't tried it out online yet. Although there are way too many unblockables in this game for it to be good at a competitive level, but to each his own.
    You can't look at MK from the perspective of really any other fighting game. MK is MK in how the combat works, how spacing and zoning and offensive pressure work, and so on. Mortal Kombat isn't just about the chain combos; launching into a combo with normals and specials is where the big damage has always come from. Watch some vids of good MK players running UMK3 or even this(already!) and you'll be hard pressed to think it ISN'T fast.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0) dommeatball's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    dommeatball

I've only played online and a little bit of story mode and arcade mode but from what I can tell the game is fantastic. The story mode is paced well and the cut scenes are surprisingly well done. The combat runs very smooth and much better than any MK that's been out since UMK3. I haven't gotten a chance to mess around in any of the other modes, but there is a ton of stuff in this. It seems well worth the $60 price tag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

*sigh* I wish I stressed the "Mortal Kombat" combo system a bit more in my post, meaning that I know this isn't some flashy 2D Capcom fighting game. In fact, I really should have put that it's the "MK style." When I put the game in, I definitely tried playing it like MKII, and it does have that feel to it with much more details. Trust me, I understand the difference between MK and other games fought on a 2D plane.

That being said...don't get me wrong. This isn't a slow game by any means. The issue I had when I first picked it up is that I used Sub-Zero without looking at the movelist at all. So you can probably guess that my gameplay equated to using Sub-Zero's freeze moves, and all I saw was him taking forever to do his damn ice puddle or me getting punched as I'm trying to do his classic freeze projectile Earlier today I started messing around with their movelists, and this game is faster than I perceived it to be. But the point I was stressing was that there have been a lot of recently released fighting games that move remarkably fast, and if you're like me, you've become accustomed to fast paced gameplay, MK series or not. Now this doesn't make it a bad game, as SSFIV is slowed down fighting game but it's still great.

But yeah, the gameplay is also much better than I thought it originally was; I was wrong when I said this game wouldn't be great at a competitive level, as there's a lot of pretty cool mixups you can do in this game, and unblockables are avoidable. I love the X-Ray moves.

I guess that's just what happens when I use characters like Jade and Kitana, though ^_^ Found some characters who suit my style, and the game automatically gets better for me.
    Last edited by Nirvana; 04-21-2011 at 02:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is the first MK game I've played in a long time, and I am loving it.The presentation is the best I've seen in a fighting game since CvS1, and the gameplay is actually very good as well, it's no VF, but it's deep enough to play at higher levels.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

and all I saw was him taking forever to do his damn ice puddle or me getting punched as I'm trying to do his classic freeze projectile
    Sub Zero's freeze attacks are complete garbage in this game unless used within a combo. They are painfully slow. Here's a cheap infinite though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMVpF...eature=related
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

For sure. That's a neat video. I mean, I'm sure Sub-Zero is actually a pretty good character when you don't play him like a 10 year old who just learned his special moves XD

Edit: I'm currently playing through story mode, and I'm loving it so far. I'm going to attempt to do as much offline stuff as I can, then eventually I'll venture onto playing online to see how that is. I really like using Sonya because I succeed in fighting games with dive kicking blondes ^_^
    Last edited by Nirvana; 04-21-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

I am enjoying the game although I'm learning Lui Kang and cant to a combo over 6 hits and I even have the guide (don't quite understand what there saying sometimes.) I think the game is pretty solid, the biggest problem I have is with the shitty xbox controller. Some moves are difficult with the joystick and the control is too touchy like when I push back and my character jumps. Also I think the cutscene graphics could have been way better, not quite sure whats up with that.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Love today's Penny Arcade, so true for many people (myself included)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    Love today's Penny Arcade, so true for many people (myself included)...

Thats what happened to me in the demo, I kept imputing Mileena's finishers and neither of them worked. Instead of a slice and dice I ended up just bitch slapping the dude. I need to brush up on my fatalities.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) zetastrike's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got this game last night. It's definitely the best MK in a long time. I'm just getting into it, but I find that the medium difficulty is too easy. I blew through seven matches with Mileena today without dying once. The moves are easy to execute and the controls are good, even with the crappy 360 dpad. I'm really satisfied with this one.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Cornholio857's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cornholio857

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    I just got this game last night. It's definitely the best MK in a long time. I'm just getting into it, but I find that the medium difficulty is too easy. I blew through seven matches with Mileena today without dying once. The moves are easy to execute and the controls are good, even with the crappy 360 dpad. I'm really satisfied with this one.
    From what I've seen of it, it looks great. So is this game is a must-buy for MK fans? I'm looking at getting the Tournament Edition this weekend. The joystick looks great, but if I'm gonna spend that much I want the game to be as good as the Joystick.

Insert Coin (Level 0) zetastrike's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio857 View Post
    From what I've seen of it, it looks great. So is this game is a must-buy for MK fans? I'm looking at getting the Tournament Edition this weekend. The joystick looks great, but if I'm gonna spend that much I want the game to be as good as the Joystick.
    I'd say go for it. Especially if you loved MK2, which it reminds me of the most. I'd even say its better than SFIV, but that's just me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cornholio857

Sweet! I'm gonna pick it up after work tonight. Hopefully see some of you guys on Xbox Live! And yeah, MK2 is by far my favorite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by zetastrike View Post
    Medium isn't bad, one thing that I don't like is how the more you have to retry the easier it becomes. So getting to Shao Kaun on medium then losing 5 times, he gets too easy. Is it really beating the game on medium then? I don't know how I feel about that, although I don't understand how you supposed to hit Shao Kaun because he just walks through every punch unless hes taunting you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm considering picking it up, but I dunno. I'm a BlazBlue/Guilty Gear guy, so the transition might be odd.

I used to be all about MK2/3 on the Genesis though, and I did enjoy the demo. I'll probably wind up getting it sometime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by Lanzo View Post
    Medium isn't bad, one thing that I don't like is how the more you have to retry the easier it becomes. So getting to Shao Kaun on medium then losing 5 times, he gets too easy. Is it really beating the game on medium then? I don't know how I feel about that, although I don't understand how you supposed to hit Shao Kaun because he just walks through every punch unless hes taunting you.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I remember sitting there as a kid trying to beat Mortal Kombat II for a long time, trying to figure out Shao Kahn's patterns. Now the newer players won't have to go through those growing pains like I did XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cornholio857

I didn't see any pics of the Kombat Stick here, so here are a few of mine.

The memory foam on the bottom works quite well.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Jackal's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JackalSEGA

I hate you!