View Poll Results: Which Should Have Been More Successful?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sega Dreamcast

38 65.52%
  • Sega Saturn

22 37.93%
  • Sega Master System

12 20.69%
  • Sega CD

19 32.76%
  • Sega Nomad

8 13.79%
  • Gamegear

6 10.34%
  • Atari Lynx

13 22.41%
  • Swancrystal

7 12.07%
  • Neo Geo Pocket Color

21 36.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Are Some Systems And Portables That Should Have Been More Sucessful?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What Are Some Systems And Portables That Should Have Been More Sucessful?

What Are Some Systems And Portables That Should Have Got More Attention than they did. For systems,i would say the Dreamcast. Great games,awesome graphics,and it's made by sega.

and For Portables i would say the Lynx,Neo Geo Pocket Color,and Swancrystal.

Lynx Pros: Hardware Scalling,Spectacular Graphics. Cons:a Few games and the system wasn't that popular.

Neo Geo pocket Color Pros:Thumb Stick,Nice Fighters,Amazing battery life Cons: Unbalanced Variety or games(Most of games are fighters) which is okay but Balance it out.

Swancrystal Pros:Clear Screen,good D-pad for fighters,Nice selection of Anime games,(Naruto,Dragonballz Etc.)can display more characters on screen than Gameboy Advance(Judgement Silversword). Consnly released in japan,wasn't that popular there.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I was kind of partial to the Game Gear.

Pros: First portable to provide color and backlighting. Was also the most ergonomic (is that the right word?) portable of the day (the gameboy kinda hurt my hands, the Game Gear never did).

Cons: Sucked batteries like nothing else, making the Power Back almost necessary, and to be honest I can't remember what all games it had, outside of various Genesis tie-ins like Sonic and Shining Force, and I seem to recall it also having ports of the RPGs that the Puyo Puyo characters are from. No real "killer apps" for the system.

(Speaking of the power back, is it possible to mod the thing so that it uses Li-Ion instead of NiCad? That's pretty much the whole reason my powerback no longer works)

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I've always had a special place in my heart for the Lynx. Sure it was a power hungry giant brick of a system but I still remember enjoying just about every game I ever played on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Atari Lynx should have been more successful.
    The good games vs bad games ratio is also excellent, as the Lynx has approx 80% of great titles.

N-Gage is up there too, so many great games.

Atari Jaguar should have deserved more success, and better and more coders.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Atari 7800. Had it come out circa 1984, it would have had a chance to succeed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post

Pros: First portable to provide color and backlighting. Was also the most ergonomic (is that the right word?) portable of the day (the gameboy kinda hurt my hands, the Game Gear never did).

Cons: Sucked batteries like nothing else, making the Power Back almost necessary, and to be honest I can't remember what all games it had, outside of various Genesis tie-ins like Sonic and Shining Force, and I seem to recall it also having ports of the RPGs that the Puyo Puyo characters are from. No real "killer apps" for the system.

(Speaking of the power back, is it possible to mod the thing so that it uses Li-Ion instead of NiCad? That's pretty much the whole reason my powerback no longer works)
    You should be able to Mod it to use Li-Iron instead of Ni Cad but im not sure.
    if your interested this link will show you how to mod a Gamegear where it increases the Battery life 8 Hours !http://xantufrog-games.blogspot.com/...light-mod.html

and just to let you know the Gamegear wasn't the first with Color,it was the Lynx.FYI

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get ready to see some wikipedia content from a famous Sega-16 member... Or is it infamous?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post

I loved my Game Gear when I was growing up, although I didn't vote for it in this pole for two reasons.

1) While it never really beat out the Gameboy despite being the more capable device with an impressive library of good games, I remember it having a relatively successful run and no other portable non-Nintendo system was ever able to match its level of mainstream acceptance until the PSP.

2) The two weakest points about the Game Gear were significant problems that rightfully kept it from ever being able to overtake the Gameboy. Pricing a portable system in the same range as home consoles is never a good strategy, and battery life was even more critical of an issue back in that era of disposable batteries, bulky and expensive Ni-Cad alternatives, and adaptors being sold seperately.

I voted for The Master System and the Dreamcast because they are both excellent systems for their eras without any glaring flaws and both have a healthy library of great games. Unfortunately, they were both victims of the market of their respective times. The Master System never received the attention it deserved in the US because of Nintendo's aggressive business tactics that prevented Sega from ever gaining a good foothold until the rules changed, while the Dreamcast suffered mainly from Sega's missteps with previous hardware causing the industry as a whole to lose faith in Sega's ability to properly support their systems.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    Atari 7800. Had it come out circa 1984, it would have had a chance to succeed.
    Due to the Video Game Crash of 1983, there was no video game market in 1984 for the Atari 7800, which is why the system was shelved after it was developed and then released a few years later as a reaction Nintendo revitalizing the whole industry in the US. By that time, Warner Communications had already sold Atari's arcade division to Namco and had mismanaged the Atari hardware division into the ground.

The 7800 could have been a huge success if released by a healthy company in an equally healthy industry, but neither of those existed in it's tech-level era.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tricorder View Post
    I loved my Game Gear when I was growing up, although I didn't vote for it in this pole for two reasons.

1) While it never really beat out the Gameboy despite being the more capable device with an impressive library of good games, I remember it having a relatively successful run and no other portable non-Nintendo system was ever able to match its level of mainstream acceptance until the PSP.

2) The two weakest points about the Game Gear were significant problems that rightfully kept it from ever being able to overtake the Gameboy. Pricing a portable system in the same range as home consoles is never a good strategy, and battery life was even more critical of an issue back in that era of disposable batteries, bulky and expensive Ni-Cad alternatives, and adaptors being sold seperately.

I voted for The Master System and the Dreamcast because they are both excellent systems for their eras without any glaring flaws and both have a healthy library of great games. Unfortunately, they were both victims of the market of their respective times. The Master System never received the attention it deserved in the US because of Nintendo's aggressive business tactics that prevented Sega from ever gaining a good foothold until the rules changed, while the Dreamcast suffered mainly from Sega's missteps with previous hardware causing the industry as a whole to lose faith in Sega's ability to properly support their systems.
    You forgot about the Screen Problems like the Screen Blur and the Sound problem that many people have where the Sound seems not to work after a while.im lucky. i had mine for about 6 to 7 years and the sound can STILL go to MAX Volume.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Due to the Video Game Crash of 1983, there was no video game market in 1984 for the Atari 7800, which is why the system was shelved after it was developed and then released a few years later as a reaction Nintendo revitalizing the whole industry in the US. By that time, Warner Communications had already sold Atari's arcade division to Namco and had mismanaged the Atari hardware division into the ground.

The 7800 could have been a huge success if released by a healthy company in an equally healthy industry, but neither of those existed in it's tech-level era.
    I know that, but already had it run against the Colecovision instead of the NES, it would have had a standing choice.

Of course, another what-if scenario is if Atari actually distributed the Famicom in the US (the 7800 would not have existed at all), but that's for another thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You forgot about the Virtual Boy!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xDragonWarrior View Post
    You forgot about the Screen Problems like the Screen Blur and the Sound problem that many people have where the Sound seems not to work after a while.im lucky. i had mine for about 6 to 7 years and the sound can STILL go to MAX Volume.
    I didn't factor in the screen problems because at the time that's just how LCD screens were and it wasn't that big of a deal. Besides, most games seemed to deal with it reasonably well enough. The original Gameboy screen was equally as horrible. It's blurring problems may not have been as severe, but the lack of detail inherent to that type of cheap monochrome display makes it the worse display and is only forgiven because of the Gameboy's lower price point and considerably longer charge on fewer batteries.

Also, I didn't factor in the sound problems because at the time most of the units still worked. We didn't really learn about the capacitor issue until the end of its run.

EDIT: I believe that if Sega had scrapped the Nomad and instead taken a cue from Nintendo and developed a smaller, sleeker, more battery-efficient Game Gear with a sharper display (like the Gameboy Pocket), then the Game Gear would have a much longer and better run.

Quote Originally Posted by Sysop View Post
    You forgot about the Virtual Boy!
    I actually own a Virtual Boy and, while I enjoyed playing it, it definitely doesn't deserve any better of a run than it got.
    Last edited by Mr_Tricorder; 04-20-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually own a Virtual Boy and, while I enjoyed playing it, it definitely doesn't deserve any better of a run than it got.
    It was a shame that it literally ended the career of Gunpei Yokoi though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

It did not literally end his career, as he worked on the Wonderswan before he died, but if you mean his career at Nintendo, yeah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    It did not literally end his career, as he worked on the Wonderswan before he died, but if you mean his career at Nintendo, yeah.
    I should have been descriptive in my post, and I apologise. I was indeed referring to his Nintendo career.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

LYNX

It's library has SO many great Atari/Midway arcade ports and the technology behind the system was way way ahead of its time.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted for everything, because this is a troll thread and if all of these platforms had seen greater success the Industry would be more interesting today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The SMS was in Europe more popular than the NES.
    So, should the NES have had more attention in Europe?
    Last edited by tom; 04-20-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, the market was basically insignificant.

Actually, more attention for the NES in the UK and Europe would have been a good thing too. The NES just didn't need more games for all the extra attention.