Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Default Final Fantasy IV: PSP vs DS?

I already own the FFIV remake on DS. Should I go for the PSP remake or not? The PSP version does have the sequels Interlude and The After Years, as well as the SNES music, but does it make it worthwhile or not?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I was playing it yesterday. Before I stopped I just defended, or didn't defend, Fabul and back on my way to Baron. Will pick it back up later.

The graphics are nice and just like FF and FF2, you won't like the character sprites until they grow on you. The world map and the interior sprites look great. In the crystal room of Fabul, the floor is reflective of whatever is shown on screen which is a really nice effect. I'm sure the same with the other crystal rooms. In battle the enemy sprites look really nice and such, but the character sprites look even worse and the attack, ability, and spell animations are extremely underwhelming.

The only major problem is the speed flaw carried over from the GBA version, which this is a port of the GBA game. Throws the difficulty out the window. However, on the GBA version, shortly after the beginning the problem corrects itself, so maybe it will on the PSP version also? Other than this issue I see it as being a great remake. I've encountered non of the other fatal flaws from the GBA version.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-20-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally think the PSP game is the better one the DS one is good too, but the PSP one is better because it includes the sequels. Though the sequels arent as well liked as the original game is, but they are still good in my opinion at least. Like it has been said, the PSP port is just a port of the GBA version. That I thought was the best one.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just for the sequel it's worth it.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I stand corrected: it's not the DS but the GBA remake of FFIV that I have.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    I know this has been said but I feel like saying it again:
    So If you want the Sequels and enhanced graphics then go for it but just keep in mind the PSP version of the the core game is pretty much identical to the GBA version except graphics and some bug fixes. And Yes I would say the Sequels warrant a purchase, becasue while Interlude is short, The After Years is like as long as a whole other game.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    If you own the GBA version you might as well pick up the PSP version or literally any other that's had a release. The GBA version is so ridden with bugs that it's not even funny. The SNES and PSX versions of the game, even with no additional content(and the SNES version being slightly easier, than the PSX version) are worth owning over the GBA version.

Playing further through FF4 on the PSP and everything is back to normal agility right before reaching Mount Ordeals. Agility is fixed for all enemies there on except for Yang as a boss fight. It kind of sucks that the agility flaw is in the game as it makes right before turning into a paladin a joke, but up to that point was never that much harder on the original FF4 anyways.

There was another flaw on the GBA version where Edge's boomerangs were short range weapons rather than long range weapons. Put him in the back row and the damage to boomerangs were halved. This made his GBA only ultimate boomerangs, 236 attack with two boomerangs, not so ultimate. Better off equipping two swords and getting 255 attack. I haven't got to Edge on this version yet, but I'm assuming if the speed flaw early on is the same, this also may still be a problem. I'll post about it once I get Edge and try out his long range weapons.

*edit*

I came across a couple other low agility enemies. The mages and ogres in the metallic cave. Everything from Mount Ordeals to there seemed normal. This will be my last post until I finish the game. Then I'll give my full opinion on it. I've never played the After Years, so really nothing for me to discuss there that's different with the original since I don't really know, but once I finish FF4. I can also tell which version of the series I prefer that's received a US release other than the DS version which I've put very little time into.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-20-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the arranged music is pretty awesome too, as is the ability to switch between it and the original on the fly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PSP version is definitely worth getting. The extra content and absolutely beautiful sprites are more than enough to warrant a purchase (assuming you're an FFIV fan in the first place).

The only downside at all is that the PSP version (being a GBA port, as mentioned) is pretty damn easy. Still, I say go for it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Awesome game

protip: after you go through all the trouble of defeating Zeromus in the end, be sure to plug your psp in as the ending is so long you may run out of battery power (if you're you know...a retard) and have to go through the fight all over again!

n-not that this just happened to me or anything

grumble...grumble

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The thing about the PSP is that the battery doesn't die. It just goes into sleep mode with the battery with a low battery symbol. If you use a UMD, ISO, or an PSX Eboot, then you can replace the power and press up once it'll bring it out of sleep mode. Weird this didn't happen for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The thing about the PSP is that the battery doesn't die. It just goes into sleep mode with the battery with a low battery symbol. If you use a UMD, ISO, or an PSX Eboot, then you can replace the power and press up once it'll bring it out of sleep mode. Weird this didn't happen for you.

Strangely it "froze" for a few seconds then turned off, I tried plugging it back in, but it in fact shut completely off, never seen that happen before.

lesson learned ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

That sucks. Maybe FF4 can't go into sleep mode? The only other game that I'm aware of similar to this is Pursuit Force. Except that it will go into sleep mode during gameplay, it just won't go into sleep mode during the main menu.

*edit*

Actually. It can go into sleep mode. I didn't think about it, but I've had it on sleep mode whenever I haven't been playing it since I've started.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-23-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own the DS version, but really want to play the PSP remake. I think that the detailed 2D remakes on PSP is the best way to do Final Fantasy games, whether remakes or new games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    That sucks. Maybe FF4 can't go into sleep mode? The only other game that I'm aware of similar to this is Pursuit Force. Except that it will go into sleep mode during gameplay, it just won't go into sleep mode during the main menu.
    It can.

His problem sounds pretty weird, it's never happened to me. Maybe after it happened he was just like screw it and put it down for awhile, and then the battery actually did die.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Yeah, I just got back from a break and actually pulled it up from sleep. Realized I've had it on sleep the entire time when I haven't been playing the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Crisis recovered from, I just defeated good old zeromus again while it was plugged in, I had forgotten just how long the ending was, now to play around in the "extra" dungeon for hours on end, man I love ff4 :-)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I'm getting this solely because the 3D bullshit in the DS version was a turn off. Odd how the DS is the one getting the 3D-ized versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Finished the game a few days ago so deciding to post about it. Final Fantasy 4 Complete Collection should be purchased regardless of what versions of FF4 you own due to the After Years and the prologue being included, however, my opinion on just FF4 in comparison to all other versions.

Like I've previously said, this version of FF4 is based off the GBA version and the speed flaw proves it, but this game carries none of the other bugs. Edgar can still use all weapons in the back row and still take off proper damage, making him slightly weaker than characters like Cecil and Kain at end game but with better defense(because of the back row.) I always like equipping Edge with one boomerang and the Masamune end game and while he doesn't take off as much as Cecil, he almost takes off the damage Kain does(sometimes, though not on average, he does hit more than Kain does.)

Anyways. The speed flaw on this version and the GBA version starts at the beginning of the game to Mount Ordeals where the game itself is practically a joke up to that point. In Mount Ordeals though the enemies there don't have the flaw, but the location itself is still easy. You don't have the flaw any longer until you get in the Metal Cave where a few enemies carry this flaw. As soon as you get out of Metal Cave the difficulty ramps up. Not extremely difficult, but it jumps up nonetheless. Like true FF4 fashion, as soon as you get to the moon, if you're not powerful enough you'll get owned in Bahamut's Cave, which is almost exactly what happened the first battle, so I decided to go back to the earth with FuSoYa first. So overall the difficulty is fine after Mount Ordeals I'd say.

Now in my opinion, the PSX version is the best version as it has a slight edge(correct difficulty throughout the game.) It's the most complete and an exact port of the original Super Famicom version. If you care about the main game more than the extra bonus dungeon, then the PSX version will be more difficult from the beginning to Mount Ordeals where Complete is lacking. However, if you want a bonus dungeon with all the other characters who did not die in the game as playable characters and don't mind about the first couple hours being a joke when it comes to difficulty since you're getting more extra content, then Complete is the best.

The worst part about Complete was ugly FMV movies inserted into the game. They should have had the new 2d graphics representing the scenes rather than that garbage taking place. Just feels so out of place. Are these taken from the DS games or did they create them just for this game? Either way it'd be better off without them.

I'll eventually play Prologue and the After Years, but just haven't attempted them since all I was going for was FF4.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-29-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Can you explain the speed bug a little bit? I remeber playing through the gba one and had an issue where charecter's turns would come up randomly, sometimes it'd go cecil kain ryidia rosa, rydia cecil etc etc.

I agree the psp port is pretty amazing but really dumbed down from the original sfc version (not nearly as bad as the us version but still) I really hate when they have to make it easier without making the easyness an option.

i've played a bit of prologue and its actually a challenge, you apparently have to grind a bit or you get nuked at some points.