1 3.03%
  • Virtua Fighter

6 18.18%
  • Mortal Kombat

5 15.15%
  • I'm not into fighters like that

1 3.03%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Street Fighter Vs. Tekken Vs. Mortal Kombat Vs.Virtua Fighter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Street Fighter is my favourite, but I like them all to an extent. I still play most of the SF games on a regular basis, especially SSF2T, SF3:3rd Strike, SFA3, and SSF4.

Mortal Kombat started losing my interest when they added a run button, and completely lost it with the move to 3D. MK1 is still great fun, whether it's the arcade game or even just the Genesis port. MK2 is still the best one to me, but I'm liking the new game a lot so far.

I've always liked the way Virtua Fighter games look and play, even the 32X game, but I didn't really take the game too seriously until VF4. It's the one and only 3D fighter that I've played that felt like it was as responsive and fluid as the best 2D fighters. Both VF4 and VF4Evolution have awesome training modes and AI, which is fortunate, because the chances of two people who like VF being in the same place at the same time are not very good outside of a japanese arcade.

Tekken is definitely my least favourite of the bunch. I had Tekken 2 when it was a new game, and I had a lot of fun with it, but the series just didn't seem to improve much over the years, and I think it peaked with TTT. Maybe TTT2 and TvSF will get me into it again.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I don't see why they did that either, especially considering that the 360 is much more popular than the PS3 here in the US(where the game was made and has it's biggest buying audience).
    What with Kratos making an appearance, I'm pretty sure this is one of the few instances where we can confidently call out co-marketing dollars.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I don't see why they did that either, especially considering that the 360 is much more popular than the PS3 here in the US(where the game was made and has it's biggest buying audience). Luckily I also have a PS3 so I was able to try it out but unfortunately the demo was single player only.

Back on topic, I'm a bit surprised by how little love Tekken has been shown. Actually, I think I'm the only one that prefers it over the others.
    You must have missed my post then.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which is better? Well... I see three legendary fighting game series and then there's Tekken...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Street Fighter/Tekken and Virtua Fighter/Mortal Kombat are all different things kind of.

Either way, Guilty Gear beats all. I voted for Street Fighter though.

But yeah, my post makes it evident that the games shouldn't really be compared side to side. They're trying to do different things.

And Tekken sucks now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted Street Fighter and I enjoy Virtua Fighter, but I've never liked Tekken and don't think that the Mortal Kombat series is very good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcks007 View Post
    You must have missed my post then.
    Yeah I missed that. Nice to know I'm not the only one on this site with good taste
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried to like Tekken 6, but it's the same silly juggling crap as the rest of the series. Taking turns bouncing each other off the ground with moves that don't even look like they connect just isn't my thing.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's what I would imagine a Muppet Kung Fu movie would be like.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Went to the local arcade near me and played on their Virtua Fighter 5 cabinet. God, I wish I had more time to dedicate to that game. More importantly, I wish more people played it. It's the only 3D fighting game I really enjoy playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

My favorite fighting game is hands down Virtua Fighter.

I used to play Virtua Fighter 1 all the time in my local arcade. Eventually I got a Sega Saturn and played Virtua Fighter Remix, Virtua Fighter 2 and the awesome Fighters Megamix non stop. I can't count the hours my friends and I poured into those titles.

When Virtua fighter 3tb was released I picked it up for my DC, but it was quite a change for the series. I could never get into it that much. It was decent, but quite a change from part 1 and 2 and the rest of the series since. It seemed more like an experimental Virtua Fighter game than an official installment.

Virtua Fighter four on PS2 I found to be an abomination. I didn't like the way it played. It tried to revert to the VF 2 style of play (which is awesome) but flat out failed. The graphics while really good, just looked awkward and odd. But the biggest problem I had was the music. What happened? I seriously want to know. Even if the gameplay was decent I still doubt I could get into it. Half of the Virtua Fighter experience to me is the music and this game had nothing that resembled music. It was god awful. I honestly haven't heard a worse or more lackluster soundtrack... ever!

Virtua Fighter 1 has an incredibly well composed soundtrack. Very memorable music that helped define the game. Virtua Fighter 2 took the spirit of the first games music and composed a near legendary soundtrack. For me, Virtua Fighter 2 simply has one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. Virtua Fighter 3 was a step back in audio. It still has some good music but was nowhere near the level of VF 1 or 2. Then part 4... the less said the better. How can a series go from some of the greatest videogame music ever composed to some of the worst? I understand if Takayuki Nakamura or Takenobu Mitsuyoshi could not be involved this time around but there are plenty of other great composers.

Fortunately after one questionable installment and one complete abortion, the series is back on track with Virtua Fighter 5. They finally, successfully replicated the Virtua Fighter 2 experience with full 3d movement and it plays beautifully. It has amazing graphics and amazing game play but most importantly it has a sound track that, while different from 1 and 2, does the series justice and is one of the best soundtracks I have heard in recent years.

I really like Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters and the Street Fighter Alpha series, but Virtua Fighter is where its at for me. Iv'e never really played Tekken.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

VF3 is basically Fighters Megamix, right down to the movesets and button layout, without the FV and joke characters. Janet is basically just Aoi with a pistol, and even some of the music is the same, like Jeffry's BGM..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    My favorite fighting game is hands down Virtua Fighter.

I used to play Virtua Fighter 1 all the time in my local arcade. Eventually I got a Sega Saturn and played Virtua Fighter Remix, Virtua Fighter 2 and the awesome Fighters Megamix non stop. I can't count the hours my friends and I poured into those titles.

When Virtua fighter 3tb was released I picked it up for my DC, but it was quite a change for the series. I could never get into it that much. It was decent, but quite a change from part 1 and 2 and the rest of the series since. It seemed more like an experimental Virtua Fighter game than an official installment.

Virtua Fighter four on PS2 I found to be an abomination. I didn't like the way it played. It tried to revert to the VF 2 style of play (which is awesome) but flat out failed. The graphics while really good, just looked awkward and odd. But the biggest problem I had was the music. What happened? I seriously want to know. Even if the gameplay was decent I still doubt I could get into it. Half of the Virtua Fighter experience to me is the music and this game had nothing that resembled music. It was god awful. I honestly haven't heard a worse or more lackluster soundtrack... ever!

Virtua Fighter 1 has an incredibly well composed soundtrack. Very memorable music that helped define the game. Virtua Fighter 2 took the spirit of the first games music and composed a near legendary soundtrack. For me, Virtua Fighter 2 simply has one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. Virtua Fighter 3 was a step back in audio. It still has some good music but was nowhere near the level of VF 1 or 2. Then part 4... the less said the better. How can a series go from some of the greatest videogame music ever composed to some of the worst? I understand if Takayuki Nakamura or Takenobu Mitsuyoshi could not be involved this time around but there are plenty of other great composers.

Fortunately after one questionable installment and one complete abortion, the series is back on track with Virtua Fighter 5. They finally, successfully replicated the Virtua Fighter 2 experience with full 3d movement and it plays beautifully. It has amazing graphics and amazing game play but most importantly it has a sound track that, while different from 1 and 2, does the series justice and is one of the best soundtracks I have heard in recent years.

I really like Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters and the Street Fighter Alpha series, but Virtua Fighter is where its at for me. Iv'e never really played Tekken.
    I play quite a bit of VF so I have to ask you.How can you hate 4 and like 5 when they share 85% of the same gameplay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    VF3 is basically Fighters Megamix, right down to the movesets and button layout, without the FV and joke characters. Janet is basically just Aoi with a pistol, and even some of the music is the same, like Jeffry's BGM..
    Yeah, and I thought VF 3 was a decent game but like I said before it was quite a change from the rest of the series. They made quite a few changes that were not present before VF 3 and did not continue after VF 3.

First off they changed the characters outfits, and while i'm not against expanding their wardrobes a bit (some of them looked really good.), most of the changes were uninspired and lacking. Gone was Sarah's iconic blue outfit, replaced by cutoff blue jeans and a red top and Wolf in the cowboy hat was a neat idea (it fits his character) but it just came off goofy looking.

Then there was the varying terrain. I thought it was cool mechanic but it added an extra level of depth to the game which I didn't need. For me it changed the feel of the game and didn't provide the quick instant gratification that 1,2 and 5 provide.

Then there are the stages. I felt some of them, like the outfits, were uninspired as well. Then there were the weird optional camera views like overhead and first person that were somewhat experimental. All of these things were only present in VF 3 and haven't surfaced since.

To me VF 1, 2, 4 and 5 feel like they were cut from the same cloth, (even if 4 got the frayed edge of the cloth) VF 3 really feels like it's own thing. It's a decent game but it doesn't provide me with what I want or expect from a Virtua Fighter game.

Quote Originally Posted by kokujin View Post
    I play quite a bit of VF so I have to ask you.How can you hate 4 and like 5 when they share 85% of the same gameplay?
    Because VF 4 is lacking that extra 15% of awesomness that VF 5 has!

In all seriousness though, music is very, very, VERY important to me. When I see a movie preview or a movie, one of the first things that I really pay attention to is the musical score. I am no different with videogames.

In film a great musical score can elevate a crappy movie. Like wise a crappy score can really hurt a movie. IMO the same goes for a game. Their an audio, visual and interactive experience. For instance, if VF 2 had a terrible soundtrack It would have been much more difficult for me to enjoy. But, I can't tell you how many times I would be in class and all of the sudden Sarah's song, "Black Cat Moon" would pop into my head. Then all I could think about was getting home to play Virtua Fighter 2 along with its awesome music!

IMO, on the musical side of things VF4 is horrendous. This is no hyperbole. Imagine some of the worst songs you have ever heard, some songs that you absolutely can't stand. Then imagine listening to them and only them the entire time you play Virtua Fighter 4. Thats honestly how I feel.

It drastically impacts the games enjoyment and can't draw me in like the other installments music can. So a good 1/3 to 1/2 the game experience is ruined by the soundtrack for me. The VF 5 music however is fantastic and really sets the mood and draws me into the fights. As a result it has that "I'll try one more time" effect when I get beat down, because the music makes me want to keep playing.

As for the actual gameplay... It's been a while and I can't remember the exact details but Sarah and Akira are the two characters that I use and I had serious issues with them in VF4. Some of their moves I found difficult to pull off and had no problems pulling them off in VF5. No doubt a good amount of the problem is the PS2 controller, which I'm not a fan of.

But there were other things as well. I'll toss VF4 in this next weekend and see if I can't remember the exact issues that I had.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tiidonator

MK for me
    mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, and I thought VF 3 was a decent game but like I said before it was quite a change from the rest of the series. They made quite a few changes that were not present before VF 3 and did not continue after VF 3.

First off they changed the characters outfits, and while i'm not against expanding their wardrobes a bit (some of them looked really good.), most of the changes were uninspired and lacking. Gone was Sarah's iconic blue outfit, replaced by cutoff blue jeans and a red top and Wolf in the cowboy hat was a neat idea (it fits his character) but it just came off goofy looking.

Then there was the varying terrain. I thought it was cool mechanic but it added an extra level of depth to the game which I didn't need. For me it changed the feel of the game and didn't provide the quick instant gratification that 1,2 and 5 provide.

Then there are the stages. I felt some of them, like the outfits, were uninspired as well. Then there were the weird optional camera views like overhead and first person that were somewhat experimental. All of these things were only present in VF 3 and haven't surfaced since.

To me VF 1, 2, 4 and 5 feel like they were cut from the same cloth, (even if 4 got the frayed edge of the cloth) VF 3 really feels like it's own thing. It's a decent game but it doesn't provide me with what I want or expect from a Virtua Fighter game.

Because VF 4 is lacking that extra 15% of awesomness that VF 5 has!

In all seriousness though, music is very, very, VERY important to me. When I see a movie preview or a movie, one of the first things that I really pay attention to is the musical score. I am no different with videogames.

In film a great musical score can elevate a crappy movie. Like wise a crappy score can really hurt a movie. IMO the same goes for a game. Their an audio, visual and interactive experience. For instance, if VF 2 had a terrible soundtrack It would have been much more difficult for me to enjoy. But, I can't tell you how many times I would be in class and all of the sudden Sarah's song, "Black Cat Moon" would pop into my head. Then all I could think about was getting home to play Virtua Fighter 2 along with its awesome music!

IMO, on the musical side of things VF4 is horrendous. This is no hyperbole. Imagine some of the worst songs you have ever heard, some songs that you absolutely can't stand. Then imagine listening to them and only them the entire time you play Virtua Fighter 4. Thats honestly how I feel.

It drastically impacts the games enjoyment and can't draw me in like the other installments music can. So a good 1/3 to 1/2 the game experience is ruined by the soundtrack for me. The VF 5 music however is fantastic and really sets the mood and draws me into the fights. As a result it has that "I'll try one more time" effect when I get beat down, because the music makes me want to keep playing.

As for the actual gameplay... It's been a while and I can't remember the exact details but Sarah and Akira are the two characters that I use and I had serious issues with them in VF4. Some of their moves I found difficult to pull off and had no problems pulling them off in VF5. No doubt a good amount of the problem is the PS2 controller, which I'm not a fan of.

But there were other things as well. I'll toss VF4 in this next weekend and see if I can't remember the exact issues that I had.
    Try Evo out it had a better soundtrack.I see where you are coming from, I sometimes forget not everyone plays fighting games so seriously.
    Last edited by kokujin; 04-25-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then there were the weird optional camera views like overhead and first person that were somewhat experimental. All of these things were only present in VF 3 and haven't surfaced since.
    Virtua Fighter for 32X had different camera angles and even widescreen support.