Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PSN down, and no DP chatter about it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another Portal 2 victim here. I don't really mind about the lack of psn but I do like to check out the Playstation store.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Funny how people forget the similar XBLA outages in 2008.

I was talking to Joe about it yesterday and he couldn't recall it at all.
    XBL's outages were because of the huge number of new users logging in post Xmas. It was up and down for a week or two and then it was fine. It was also a common occurrence every xmas for a number of years. All the new users hitting XBL and for a day or two, it'd be so slooooow. I think this last year was the first one that I didn't notice anything like that. We all got Undertow for it too as heybtmb kindly mentioned under the jawsum comic .

Sony still hasn't even said why PSN is down though.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    At least Sony finally acknowledges it was an "External Intrusion" (fancy words for "hackers" ).
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got Portal 2 linked before it went down, but haven't had the time to play anyway. I'm not happy about my preferred Netflix device being out of service, but again, I've been too busy with school to let it affect me.

Sony is definitely blaming an "external intrusion" now, but they're also saying they've been meaning to upgrade their security anyway. It'll be down until those "necessary measures" are in place. If it didn't happen now, it'd probably be a planned outage of a day or so eventually.

I'm perfectly fine with this, just so long as we're not looking at a credit card database breach or something of the like.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    As mentioned above, they have, and they actually began eluding to an "external intrusion" on the official PSN blog around Thursday evening of last week.

There's also this. Can't vouch for the legitimacy, but time will surely tell:

http://www.psu.com/PSN-hackers-attac...a011425-p0.php

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I got Portal 2 linked before it went down, but haven't had the time to play anyway. I'm not happy about my preferred Netflix device being out of service, but again, I've been too busy with school to let it affect me.

Sony is definitely blaming an "external intrusion" now, but they're also saying they've been meaning to upgrade their security anyway. It'll be down until those "necessary measures" are in place. If it didn't happen now, it'd probably be a planned outage of a day or so eventually.

I'm perfectly fine with this, just so long as we're not looking at a credit card database breach or something of the like.
    *EDIT EDIT DOUBLE RE-EDIT* ... NETFLIX will prompt you for PSN login several times, but if you keep attempting and failing and finally get the PSN is offline for maintenance message Netflix will run properly without a PSN login.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-24-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm patching Gran Turismo. I'm guessing the update service isn't affected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'm patching Gran Turismo. I'm guessing the update service isn't affected.
    Yeah, either they've gotten that far in the security lockdown, or game updates were never taken offline.

Also, not sure if you got my re-edited response on the previous page. Netflix works, just keep attempting to log in until you get the "PSN is offline for maintenance" message and you'll be granted access to use Netflix without a PSN login.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

It sucks that the network is down, but I'm just happy that I can get on Netflix and I was happy to discover that they don't force you to be logged in to use it. I think it's complete BS that these self proclaimed "freedom fighters" claim to be doing this for our rights or what have you, yet they're causing more harm than good to the very people they say they're fighting for.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Once Anon starts something, there's enough people who pick up the fight just for the thrill of it. They fight because it's fun for them, not because they care deeply about the issue. From what I can tell, the "organizers" know this and use it to their advantage, picking targets that they know would be an easy sell to their ranks. They go after big companies in the public eye that have blatantly hurt the public or attracted negative press because they're easy targets. The result is an anarchy machine that goes after anyone who gets too big.

Basically, you can't get on PSN right now because of a bunch of kids who think it's funny. Are they right? Are they wrong? I don't think they care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    18 posts and no Penny Arcade?

Yeah we needed some Penny Arcade to liven up this thread. Especially since I thought PSN would be back up and running by now.

As for the Undertow comment, the majority of PSN members(such as myself) aren't paying for anything and thus can't really expect some kind of freebie. However, there are the other roughly 2 million PSN Plus members who foolishly...er, voluntarily pay for extras. Those members have a legit reason to be up and arms and when this is all over hopefully Sony takes care of them, if not with a free game then atleast with an added month to their subscription.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never paid for Xbox Live and I got Undertow for free. Don't think I ever played it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    As for the Undertow comment, the majority of PSN members(such as myself) aren't paying for anything and thus can't really expect some kind of freebie. However, there are the other roughly 2 million PSN Plus members who foolishly...er, voluntarily pay for extras.
    I'll be more than happy to take a free month (to go along with the 3 free months I got with my initial 1 year subscription) but considering the amount of free stuff I get on my Plus account every week, I won't shed a tear if I don't get anything but an apology from Sony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's been my understanding that alot of that "free stuff" will dissappear the moment you cancel your PSN+ subscription. True?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're right. You only have access to the plus stuff while you're a plus member.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[double post] - please delete

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's been my understanding that alot of that "free stuff" will dissappear the moment you cancel your PSN+ subscription. True?
    Except for avatars, XMB backgrounds, and anything you purchase at a discount. While I don't have PSN Plus, I know someone who does. Basically for $50, it's 15 months of what you could say is a rental service. I know he gets atleast three free downloads per week, sometimes more. It's one PSX game a week, atleast one PSN game, and one mini.

So for $50 a year it's a pretty good deal, $10 with a game sharing account between five people. For me, it's free. What do you get for your XBL? Cross game chat and the ability to do stuff that non paying PSN members already have, which is go online or use Netflix?
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-24-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    KingOfPain95

fuck i wanted to play BioShock 2 online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Yup (it doesn't magically disappear off your HDD, it just won't boot until you resubscribe), but based on my satisfaction with the service, I have no plans to cancel.

Also, while I have absolutely no problem paying $50 a year for XBLA (yeah yeah, frugal bargain hunting gamers get 12 month XBLA cards through Amazon or similar thingy-dos for $2.99 or whatever insane discounts they always manage to scoff about) and the services that entails and I will continue to do so as long as that's offered, I personally feel a much greater level of satisfaction from getting a regiment of free and discounted game/media content for that yearly cost. I can count on one hand the amount of free full software that Microsoft has given me, and most of it I've not enjoyed at all.

With Plus I've gotten to add games to my collection that I would have never even considered trying let alone buying that, unlike the free content on XBLA I've wound up really REALLY enjoying.

Pulling the plug on either service comes with a unique and somewhat dire consequence. With XBLA it's no online play whatsoever and no cross game chat and with Plus it's no access to play the catalog of full games downloaded from the Plus service.

Sure, Plus isn't for everybody, but come on, there's no reason to write members off as "foolish". It's just a choice like anything else we do.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-24-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

So, and I realize this is probably a silly question, but any trophies earned from free games downloaded stay with you even after the end of a plus subscription, yes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never paid for Xbox Live and I got Undertow for free. Don't think I ever played it...
    This. I played it once.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."