Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thumbs up Mega Man Legends 3 (3DS)

What we know so far:
    -Final version will be released in 2011/2012
    -Game is for Nintendo 3DS; cost likely will be $40
    -Early "Prototype Version" will be released in mid-2011
    -Prototype Version will be a $2 download through the 3DS eShop
    -Prototype Version will include more than 10 missions and plenty of voice acting
    -PV will also feature a variety of behind-the-scenes making-of materials including brain storming sketches, animated storyboards, proposed characters and designs, and more
    -Playable characters include at least Mega Man and new character Barrett
    -Game will include a variety of game-play modes including the standard run-and-gun, air bike racing, time attack, and several new modes and mini-games
    -Missions will be on offer to help players stay on task
    -Series favorite characters will return including Tron Bonne, Teisel Bonne, Bon Bonne, Roll Casket, Barrel Casket, Data, the ServBots, and of course, Mega Man Volnutt
    -New characters include Barrett and his gang the Bright Bats, composed of Grill, Max, Pick, and fan-chosen Aero
    -Game is being made in cooperation with Western and Japanese fans who have already helped to chose a new female character, create a new Reaverbot, chose Mega Man's new color scheme, create a new Bonne mecha, craft the townsfolk, and pick the Reaverbots which will reappear in the new game

And now for some artwork (apologies for those on slow connections):

---Original post follows---

This week Capcom announced "Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype Version," an incomplete version of MML3 that is to be released to Nintendo 3DS across regions via the eShop, the 3DS's version of DSiWare and Virtual Console. The idea is that it will be a launch title for the eShop and will cost 200 yen, so it's a good bet it'll cost $2 here in North America. What does that $2 get you? A 25% done version of Mega Man Legends 3. This will include several "core missions," which once completed will grant access to the unfinished areas for you to explore at your own peril and a developer mode to enable/disable abilities and features and (presumably) clipping.

There is a story about this which embeds [url=http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2011/1470.html]several in-game video clips for your viewing[/img]. From the looks of things there will be at least two playable characters (Megaman Volnutt and Berrett Blues) in MML3. There will also be the ability to ride a hover bike around town as well as missions based upon this play mechanic. Appropriate considering Berrett is supposed to be the leader of a gang of sky bikers which includes others named Aero, Grill, Pick, and Max.

Possibly the most interesting thing about this sample software is that it will be used to gauge the future of the game and its series. That's right, the number of downloads and the amount of fan buzz will determine whether the full game will be green-lit for production or if the title will be regulated to the scrap heap. Personally speaking I hope this prototype version will be downloaded a gazillionty times so that it gets a budget of a billion yen.

Updates to this game and the latest news can be found at the official Mega Man Legends 3 Development Room.

So DP'ers, if you had a 3DS would you be willing to spend at least $2 on this beta? Perhaps more just to see an early demo version of MML3? Perhaps for gratis but not for cash? Or to you is this just a glorified early look that you'd rather skip?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Interesting.

Capcom must be learning from recent ventures like their Dead Rising 2 prologue (which broke sales records for XBLA), and their wildly profitable iOS software (Smurf Village is pulling in millions in micro-transactions if I'm not mistaken) that low-point-of-entry DLC content is a fruitful business venture for a company that otherwise only has a few AAA brick/mortar games per year.

I'm sure that if they actually do this it'll generate enough money to compel Capcom to complete development on MML3, and it'll also give fans of the series an opportunity to bombard Capcom with their thoughts on the game, play control, etc. in its current state.

I see it as a win-win for all who are interested. Capcom makes some $ on a beta, and fans of the game get a cheap thrill.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd flat out buy a finished copy of the game, but there's no way in hell I'm PAYING for a friggin beta that I have no interest in. Screw Capcom. They want my money, they can bother to finish a game.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Interesting. Not sure if I agree with having people pay for a demo, but then again two bux is pretty much chump change these days. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

I'm also wondering if we're gonna see ports of the first two Legends games to the 3DS before this one is released, since the PSP ports were never even released outside Japan.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh, I'll buy it.

Not every day you get to see an early hack at what a dev team is working on.

I'm also a whore for Mega Man Legends Anything.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Considering this is Capcom we're talking about, it was only a matter of time until they started selling unfinished games. First unlock codes, then, unfinished games.

From Capcom.

"“As it happens, it was decided that the prototype version of the game we had submitted within the company would be sold as a downloadable—“Mega Man Legends 3 Prototype Version”. Furthermore, the heat and excitement surrounding this downloadable title would determine whether or not the full game could be greenlit. If hype is strong, the full title will be a go. If not, it’s a no-go. I don’t even want to think about that outcome!”

Translation: You, the consumer, are paying for the development of Mega Man Legends 3. We're Capcom. Of course we don't want to take the risk.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Good move.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll probably be suckered into buying this. Well if it is worth the $2 I will. If it is just a demo with extra crap on it I'll probably pass. If it is at least 2-3 hours long I could see me throwing down $2.
    I have a sig?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Do you know what Mega Man games have too much of (in Capcom's opinion)? Mega Man, that's what. Therefore MML3 will have at least one other playable character: Berrtt. (Although it has not been confirmed/denied he will be the only other one, as some speculate Tron Bonne will be playable too.) So what makes Berrett seem like a stage stealer to some? He has all the abilities of Mega Man Volnutt, but he can also run up buildings, fight hand-to-hand, perform flying kicks, run up walls, and ride a hover bike.

So what do you guys and gals think of this new playable character? Is he performing oneupmanship or is he a welcome addition and change to the usual Mega Man Legends formula?

Personally, I'm getting that same feeling I got when Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 were released, when Tails and Knuckles up-classed and out-performed Sonic. [SEGA: See, Tails and Knuckles are slightly slower than Sonic, so he's still the fastest! (He just can't fly/swim/carry people/glide/climb/break down walls.)]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Meh, I'm going to wait for the game to be finished before I pay for it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm offended. I can understand releasing a demo and asking for feedback to judge interest, but asking fans to pay for it and announcing the completion depends on sales?

If you don't think a game will sell well, develop it for digital distribution and minimize overhead costs. Heck, re-release the PSP port of 1 and 2 in the US if you want to profit from it, I'd pay for that. If I pay for a demo, I'd expect to get a discount or something on the final product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You would have to be a straight up moron to pay for and download this demo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    I'd flat out buy a finished copy of the game, but there's no way in hell I'm PAYING for a friggin beta that I have no interest in. Screw Capcom. They want my money, they can bother to finish a game.
    Quite a few other people will pay for 25% of a game (Gran Turismo 5 Prologue proved that).

It's not something I'll be supporting. I'm more than willing to reward the risk a developer takes in developing and releasing a game if it captures my interest by purchasing the end product.

But I'm not willing to subsidize their development. The risk is theirs at this point, I shouldn't have to pay $2 for the hope I'll be able to spend more for a final product in the future.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-07-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Re-release the PSP port of 1 and 2 in the US if you want to profit from it, I'd pay for that. If I pay for a demo, I'd expect to get a discount or something on the final product.
    Yet sadly that will probably never happen, because Capcom of Japan seems convinced that Americans and especially Europeans have little to no interest in Mega Man. This revelation courtesy of Capcom of America's own people.

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

Why isn't there a console release? I don't plan on buying a 3ds.
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

The sad thing is that I'm just so starved for something new on my 3ds, that I may end up coughing up the $2. $2 is not a huge sum of money.

Everybody's gotten spoiled by free demos. It didn't used to work that way. Anybody remember buying the first episode of Doom, Quake, or Wofenstein 3d for $15 and having to pay full price later to unlock the whole game? This is an old business model for the games industry. At least $2 is a lot cheaper than $15.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

I recall the demos for doom 1 were 5$ when I bought them back in the day, I think you got ripped off ;-) and to be fair, with doom you got an entire game for that price not just a level or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    The sad thing is that I'm just so starved for something new on my 3ds, that I may end up coughing up the $2. $2 is not a huge sum of money.

Everybody's gotten spoiled by free demos. It didn't used to work that way. Anybody remember buying the first episode of Doom, Quake, or Wofenstein 3d for $15 and having to pay full price later to unlock the whole game? This is an old business model for the games industry. At least $2 is a lot cheaper than $15.
    That made sense since you were getting a physical product, even if it was just a demo.

And I don't personally remember them ever being anywhere close to $15 for id's demos on disk. I'm pretty sure they were distributed as shareware, with just a nominal price to cover the cost of the physical portion of the product. As best as I can tell from incomplete information online, Doom just cost $19.95 back when it was released for the full game and I've found several mentions of $5 for the shareware cost of Wolfenstein 3D or Doom back in the day on disk.

The purpose of a demo is to market the game to us by letting us try a limited piece of it in the hope we'll be interested enough to pay for the final product. I know I'm not going to pay to be marketed to. If they were going to ship it to us on an actual 3DS cartridge, I'd consider it to cover the cost of the cartridge itself and the shipping. But $2 to let us download something to demo their product is $2 too much.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-07-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Considering this is Capcom we're talking about, it was only a matter of time until they started selling unfinished games.
    Sadly they were beaten to the idea 20 years ago by Active Enterprises with their release of Action 52 for the NES. Action 52: the future of gaming development.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I thought those Shareware levels were released for free through BBS systems back then, though commercial shareware distributors often charged money for them in retail stores to cover the cost of the packaging and the discs themselves. Still shareware versions aren't exactly the same as unfinished betas.

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's a good idea - maybe for unproven or original franchises. But I wouldn't clasify Mega Man as either of those and the whole thing smells fishy to me. That said, yeah, for $2 I'd probably buy it - I spend more than that on a Redbull, whatever. I guess in the future it would all depend on how these things are differentiated from traditional (free) demos that we're used to.

In 99.9% of cases I view a demo the same way I view a trailer or a sample at Costco. I don't owe them anything, it's my time and money they're trying to win. Like at least one other person said if there was something actually physical - like a real cartridge - instead of a digital download that would be much cooler and much more value added. That would change things. I'd collect 'em all. That said, I'm willing to make the ocasional exception.

Maybe SEGA should fund Shenmue III based off whether people would buy it and... oh yeah. :-(