Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Stupidity of Earthbound

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default The Stupidity of Earthbound

I can't seem to purchase a single copy of Earthbound for the SNES on ebay without blowing about $120. Why!?! Because all these fanboy lemmings have jacked up the price because some other idiot told them the game is rare and valuable...when we all know the game is neither valuable or better than Chrono Trigger which sells below $30.

Meanwhile, a copy of Little Samson which is legitimately rare also costs about $120 loose....and this game almost never comes up on ebay. Meanwhile there's over 30 copies of Earthbound on ebay right now but somehow it commands the same price? That's retarded.

So what's the lesson in all this? The lesson is: When you have zombie gamer morons who'll believe any made up story, you're gonna get stupid results like the ones we're seeing. Please oh please can you people stop overpaying for a games that's not worth more than $40! That way those of us who are not gullible pricks might actually have a chance of playing this game on a SNES.

thank you.
    Last edited by MyTurnToPlay; 04-23-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

And about a year or so ago, complete copies were selling for about $150-$200 max (as they had been for a few years). But now they don't sell less than $350, and get upwards of $540 (the max I saw a few weeks ago). They are typically toward the higher end of the spectrum - making that $350 spot seem like an outlier that I should have jumped.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    I can't seem to purchase a single copy of Earthbound for the SNES without blowing about $120. Why!?! Because all these fanboy lemmings have jacked up the price because some other idiot told them the game is rare and valuable...when we all know the game is neither valuable or better than Chrono Trigger which sells below $30.
    Nobody said the game was rare and/or valuable. Earthbound is a really in-demand title, and a great game to boot. Also, unlike Chrono Trigger, Earthbound can only be found in the original SNES cartridge (or ROM >_>) form. Chrono Trigger can be found on PS1, DS, and the virtual console.

That "degree" of scarcity combined with the resurgence of popularity in the U.S with the series (thanks to Super Smash Bros. I would guess) makes this game expensive. It has nothing to do with "lemming" or "idiot" fanboys as you said. It's a great game, people want it, and it's popularity makes it expensive.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Texas crew reporting, apparently.

Yeah, but Chrono Trigger demand and retention has gone down since the DS version was an improved version and portable. I like Earthbound's quirk and silly factor, but I think the mystique of it selling poorly at retail and only becoming very popular after it left retail has more to do with the unusual high demand and it's price. It's not stupid really. I would think that loose cart copies would tank in value pretty hard (harder than Chrono Trigger - for example) if Nintendo made a current port, with improvements or not. The CIB would probably hold against that fairly well though. Pure collect-ability has it well insulated and it's a nice display piece to boot with that huge box.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Ignore the buyitnows. Look for auction listings. They'll still go up of course, but you should be able to win a loose EarthBound through an auction for $70-90. They almost always end less than what sellers list buytinow prices for the impatient people.

I won a copy of EarthBound for $74 only a few months ago.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

When you have zombie gamer morons who'll believe any made up story, you're gonna get stupid results like the ones we're seeing. Please oh please can you people stop overpaying for a games that's not worth more than $40! That way those of us who are not gullible pricks might actually have a chance of playing this game on a SNES.
    Earthbound = serious business.

I found a beautifully mint and complete copy from my local used game store in 2005. Paid $24.99 + tax. Never played it, never intend to, couldn't care less actually. You say it's going for $400+ on ebay? Jesus. Maybe it's time to sell.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 04-23-2011 at 07:51 PM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Personally, I've played the game via Snes9x and found its' overbloated "greatness" nowhere near $150, let alone $400, when put up against Chrono Trigger. It's just my opinion though.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't seem to purchase a single copy of Earthbound for the SNES on ebay without blowing about $120. Why!?! Because all these fanboy lemmings have jacked up the price because some other idiot told them the game is rare and valuable...when we all know the game is neither valuable or better than Chrono Trigger which sells below $30.

Meanwhile, a copy of Little Samson which is legitimately rare also costs about $120 loose....and this game almost never comes up on ebay. Meanwhile there's over 30 copies of Earthbound on ebay right now but somehow it commands the same price? That's retarded.

So what's the lesson in all this? The lesson is: When you have zombie gamer morons who'll believe any made up story, you're gonna get stupid results like the ones we're seeing. Please oh please can you people stop overpaying for a games that's not worth more than $40! That way those of us who are not gullible pricks might actually have a chance of playing this game on a SNES.

thank you.
    Serenity now.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Earthbound is really overrated. It just goes for that much because of it's reputation. Definitely not worth even close to that price, and that's coming from someone that's willing to fork over a lot of money for original copies (I won a complete copy of Radiant Silvergun about a year ago via auction for about $110 shipped, worth every penny.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol, the last CIB Earthbound that only had the game game, box and manual and cardboard insert, but no other original documentation that wasnt even MINT, (the box had tears on it) sold for $412 + shipping. I loled. I got a mint copy that I'm thinking about throwing up on ebay.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neither Earthbound NOR Chrono Trigger are all that great. I'll take FF3, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire 2 or (on the import side of things) DQ 5 & 6 over either one. Earthbound is too goofy and CT tries too hard to be "original" and just mucks everything up in the process (a short RPG with a bunch of endgame sidequests to pad it out; a "no random battles" system that has unavoidable battles every few paces and they're always the SAME battles in the SAME spots, etc etc). Overrated and overpriced, imo.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I really like EarthBound. However, it's one of those games a lot of buyers want, but don't want to pay a lot for. It's good, but I'm not paying $200 for a SNES game. If I wait long enough, I'll find it in my price range, but probably not online.

There's no reason it should be rare, they made tons of them. They were selling them at Best Buy in 1997/1998 for cheap and couldn't get rid of them, from what I've heard.

EarthBound fans are sort of like Sonic fans in some ways. Ever heard of the PK Siege organized by starmen.net a few years back?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I won a copy of EarthBound for $74 only a few months ago.
    Was it a former rental copy filled with markings, dog crap stains, stickers, label tears and smoke damage?!?! Because those are the only ones I can find under $100, which is ridiculous!!

I've been trying to win a decent copy going on two months, but I can't compete with all these idiots out there who bid crazy nonsense amounts for a widely available game.

And yes, Earthbound is overrated. The game is all hype.. ooohh...an rpg about a kid with some stupid references/jokes tossed in and now suddenly this game is the sh*t? sigh...all the retards out there who are making the price explode frustrate me.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was it a former rental copy filled with markings, dog crap stains, stickers, label tears and smoke damage?!?! Because those are the only ones I can find under $100, which is ridiculous!!

I've been trying to win a decent copy going on two months, but I can't compete with all these idiots out there who bid crazy nonsense amounts for a widely available game.

And yes, Earthbound is overrated. The game is all hype.. ooohh...an rpg about a kid with some stupid references/jokes tossed in and now suddenly this game is the sh*t? sigh...all the retards out there who are making the price explode frustrate me.
    Color me confused. If the game is all overrated hype, why are you trying so hard to buy it and getting so worked up about it?
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't Earthbound the only popular SNES game left that is not on another console?

Example you have Secret of Mana, Harvest Moon, and Breath of Fire 2 on the Virtual Console. Other titles as well.

Chrono Trigger found its way to the PS1 and DS and Virtual console soon.

Mega Man X games are on the X collection.
    Last edited by Nate Nanjo; 04-23-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Earthbound and Chrono Trigger are both awesome. Two of my favorite RPGs of that era or any other, really. Earthbound was just funny; it may not have looked pretty or had that unique a battle system or anything, but it was a contemporary setting when those were not getting made, it had some really surreal dialogue, and some awesome music. Cool story, too.

Obviously someone must agree with that assessment, if the demand for the game has pushed the price up that high.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't get the demand for it myself...but it's a love it or hate it game. I had a complete one I paid around $20 for...sold it a couple years ago for $200. Do I wish I'd waited? Yes. That being said...I got fair market value at the time and who the hell could predict it jumping that high? It'd been pretty static for quite some time...I'm not sure why it's getting so pricey all of the sudden. It IS a neat looking box and a nice package complete...but definitely not in the $400-500 range if you're gonna play it....
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I've found that pretty much all cib snes games are going for insane amounts on ebay. Thats why I've gp32 a collection of loose carts.

It's important to keep in mind that ebay prices don't reflect actual value. Neither do the prices on the amazon marketplace, for that matter. It does, however reflect what people ate willing to pay. If you don't like what youre seeing on ebay try another auction site. Ebay isnt the only game in town.

For some reason, though, snes collectors are really aggressive, and it is true that common games can go for ludicrous prices at times. Ive had a much easier time collecting for tg-16/pc-engine.

For some reason snes

Insert Coin (Level 0) cheaterdragon1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    For some reason snes
    For some reason SNES what?

Yeah I've always wanted to pick up a copy of Earthbound, but I don't want to pay out my ass. I'm still looking for a good yard sale, or a clueless store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, maybe I need to sell my copy of little samson and make some bank.