Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    But it does work.... all be it with multiple friends codes. All that means is that as of right now the Wii online experience is a smoother one than the PSN online experience.
    I wish that was still funny.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I find it strange that the system is going to not only be playable, but playable to the general attendees at large. Also, 3rd party and first party software will be shown in playable form. Why show all this so early?
    I think they intend to launch before June of 2012, that's why. I could be wrong though.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just don't see how some of the rumors could be true. Especially the 6.5" touch/traditional controller. First, unless it is wired the battery life would be an issue. And second, how much do they plan of charging for a controller of this spec? $75-$100?

As for the power of the system, I am sure Nintendo will surpass the existing consoles, but that isn't too hard seeing the technology is already 5 years old. So I see Nintendo easily trumping the current platforms in the horsepower category, let's just hope the get the 3rd party support like during the SNES days.

But, their biggest hurdle will be their online infrastructure. Let's face it, Nintendo hasn't created a successful online community and to be a serious contender this time around they need to deliver something that is on par with PSN. And while they are at it, toss those damn friend codes and add some form of achievements.

Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing what develops at this years E3. Gonna be fun!
    Corey | GameBlurb | www.gameblurb.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I think they intend to launch before June of 2012, that's why. I could be wrong though.
    That's the reason I'm thinking. E3 is probably the best time to make any major announcements such as this for maximum coverage etc.

I can't see it being released later than June 2012 and they'll want to build up interest, hype and pre-orders.

As for the screen rumours... if they used what is essentially the lower screen of the DS and then 'moulded' the GC controller around it, I could see it working. If they restrict it for VC, Wiiware and in game menus etc then the demands on it wouldn't be so bad. I could see it being sold for... £50? Not nice but certainly dealable with.

E3 this year is gonna be mighty interesting
    Last edited by Swamperon; 04-26-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nintendo typically announces their new consoles well over a year before release. The Wii, for example, was first announced at Nintendo's 2004 E3 press conference, unveiled at the 2005 E3 conference, and the controller was unveiled at the 2005 Tokyo Game Show. All were well before the late 2006 launch of the system. So nothing too unusual with this timing.

Still, I'm also surprised. They still have a successful and profitable console in the Wii (Although it's certainly in decline). So I didn't think they'd show anything off so early since they don't have a need this generation to create a stir during a time when Nintendo is essentially inactive on the console front, like they were with the N64 and GameCube well before each was replaced at the end of their respective generations. The Wii is still a going concern at this time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I will pre-order this the second I get the chance. If I somehow still miss out, I will pay triple the price if I have to, just to get this on day 1. So yeah, you can take that as a yes, I'm interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I surely hope not.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 are great as it is. There is no need to actually release another console at the moment.
    True that. Theres nothing wrong with the 360 or PS3(besides PSN's current issues) that would cause them to have to launch a new system in the next year or two. They both still have lots of good games coming down the pipeline. The Wii still sells pretty well but it has a severe lack of compelling games to play, atleast to me(which is why mine hasn't been played since last year).

Like I said in the other thread about the rumors, I think that Project Cafe will be launching in either Spring or Fall 2012. Spring would probably be better for consumers because, if they sell out initially, they would be able to greatly ramp up production before the all encompassing holiday buying season. If it launches in the Fall then once again most people will have a better chance at being stuck by lighting then finding one on store shelves.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Since everyone considers the Wii, Gamecube 1.5, this would then be a Wii 1.5.
    Will wait until the first price drop since that's when it will have a decent library of games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Nintendo typically announces their new consoles well over a year before release. The Wii, for example, was first announced at Nintendo's 2004 E3 press conference, unveiled at the 2005 E3 conference, and the controller was unveiled at the 2005 Tokyo Game Show. All were well before the late 2006 launch of the system. So nothing too unusual with this timing.

Yeah, the controller was unveiled at the 2005 Tokyo Game Show, which was in late September 2005, before the November 2006 launch. Not June 2010 before the November 2012 launch. Also, I don't remember there being playable Wii games on the Tokyo Game Show floor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post

I can't see it being released later than June 2012 and they'll want to build up interest, hype and pre-orders.

I've heard other people mention a possible late Spring 2012 launch, but can you name me a home console that launched anytime before mid August? The Earliest launches I can think of was the Genesis in mid August, and TG-16 and SNES in late August. Everything else was September, October and November. Even December (Jaguar).

I'm not saying it's absolutely impossible that a "home" console will launch prior to Fall, but it would be totally unprecedented, for a very... long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, the controller was unveiled at the 2005 Tokyo Game Show, which was in late September 2005, before the November 2006 launch. Not June 2010 before the November 2012 launch. Also, I don't remember there being playable Wii games on the Tokyo Game Show floor.
    And your point is?

Nintendo first discussed the Wii at the 2004 E3 show, a full two and a half years before the system was launched. And the system was officially unveiled at the 2005 E3 show, a full year and a half before the system launched.

Seems like business as usual to me to be getting information about a new Nintendo console well in advance of launch, even if it's somewhat on the early side for playable software to be shown off compared to the Wii. It hardly seems to make this some extraordinary, unusual, odd event. If you do some checking, we were getting information about things like the Super Nintendo, N64, GameCube, and Wii years in advance of launch.

And a late 2011 or early 2012 launch seems unlikely. Nintendo unveiled a new system for 2012, and at the same time, announced to investors that it doesn't affect the next 12 month's financial forecast. That means we're not going to be seeing it released through March of 2012. The earliest it can launch, barring a huge turnaround in their plans, is April of 2012. They wouldn't be witholding that valuable information that would have a huge effect on their earnings forecast, the valuation of their stock, etc, just to conceal their true intentions for a couple of months. Without being familiar with Japanese financial laws and standards, I even doubt the legality of it. And certainly, the ethics of such a decision due to the negative effects on their stockholders would be enough to keep them from doing so.

The Sega Saturn was launched in May. And of course, Japan semi regularly has console launches before August. The Nintendo 64 and Playstation 2 immediately come to mind as having been released there before mid year. And the original Xbox launched early in the year in most of the world, outside of North America. So there are some examples of a console launch outside of the October/November timeframe. It isn't without precedence, although I just can't see it being released in North America outside of the Christmas shopping season.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-27-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sorry for the double post, it gave me a error message the first time and wasn't there when I checked, so I reposted and the original post was suddenly there afterwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Since everyone considers the Wii, Gamecube 1.5, this would then be a Wii 1.5.
    Will wait until the first price drop since that's when it will have a decent library of games.
    The Wii was called Gamecube 1.5 because it was generally considered not even twice as powerful; barely more powerful than GC. Calling Cafe Wii 1.5 would be factually incorrect. It is not barely more powerful then the Wii. It will be more powerful (how much is unknown) then the PS3/360, systems that themselves are substantually more powerful then the Wii.

I've heard other people mention a possible late Spring 2012 launch, but can you name me a home console that launched anytime before mid August? The Earliest launches I can think of was the Genesis in mid August, and TG-16 and SNES in late August. Everything else was September, October and November. Even December (Jaguar).

I'm not saying it's absolutely impossible that a "home" console will launch prior to Fall, but it would be totally unprecedented, for a very... long time.
    The Saturn in 1995 was supposed to be released in the Fall, but wound up being released in May if I recall correctly. Not sure when the Sega Master System was released in 1986, was that Fall too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    The Saturn in 1995 was supposed to be released in the Fall, but wound up being released in May if I recall correctly.
    Yes, Sega launched the Saturn prematurely in the U.S. to beat the PlayStation to market by four months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    And your point is?

Nintendo first discussed the Wii at the 2004 E3 show, a full two and a half years before the system was launched. And the system was officially unveiled at the 2005 E3 show, a full year and a half before the system launched.
    Do you remember E3 2005? I don't think "unveiled" is the correct term for the very limited and vague showing that the Revolution got. They didn't even explain what kind of controller it would use, or give a rundown on the hardware. The system was still quite veiled. It was a far cry from the rumors about what Nintendo is supposed to show this year, including revealing the controller and the hardware and showing games in progress. Even at TGS 2005, they demo'ed the controller, but the demos weren't running on Revolution/Wii hardware, nor were they even purported to be Wii games (and the controller wasn't quite finalized either). We didn't see an actual Wii game until the year it launched.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a budget gamer, so I won't be getting a Cafe right away, but I will be getting a Wii for cheap directly after Cafe is launched (I should be able to get a used one from Gamestop for less than $100 at that point. If I'm lucky, the previous owner will have forgotton to wipe their system and maybe I'll get some VC games as a bonus).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    I'm a budget gamer, so I won't be getting a Cafe right away, but I will be getting a Wii for cheap directly after Cafe is launched (I should be able to get a used one from Gamestop for less than $100 at that point. If I'm lucky, the previous owner will have forgotton to wipe their system and maybe I'll get some VC games as a bonus).
    Probably even cheaper. If the Cafe launches around the Presidential Elections, the Wii maybe lowered to $99 by then, new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

*cough, cough*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

What month were the FairChild Channel F, RCA Studio II, and Odyssey II released?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo hasn't confirmed the screen-on-controller idea. We might be looking at a GameCube controller with extended handles and a Z2 button, for all we know.

Assuming the rumors are correct, though, I'm projecting a $99 price tag for a touchscreen controller. You know those crappy $99 Android tablets? Yeah, imagine one of those with Nintendo parts. The panel itself can't be more than $60, so just add some buttons and bluetooth.