Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Wii Successor confirmed for 2012 launch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Considering how little the 3DS appears to have advanced Nintendo's online connectivity, it sounds like a lot of nonsense to me.

He's stretching things pretty far. How does that benefit anyone over just taking the 2 seconds to hit the power on the television remote control and having the video sent to the television?

I think you don't have to look beyond what they've tried to do in the past with their handheld connectivity to their consoles and touch screen gaming on their handhelds to understand why, if true, they're implimenting a touch screen. It integrates that second screen and those features Nintendo seemed to want to explore, while bringing control possibilities to the console world that succeeded for them in the handheld world.

As for the rumored name, I imagine it's because it will have something akin to Sony's remote play feature that will let you play games without using your television screen (Ideal for children, those with a spouse or family member that wants to use a tv at the same time you want to play, or just someone that wants to lay back and play without being stuck in front of a television).

That link is the speculation and odd wishes of some nut, I wouldn't hold that against Nintendo.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-07-2011 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I am optimistic about Nintendo making a great console. There are going to be people that hate them for the direction they have taken, the games that they did not make, and the whole non HD graphics thing. I predict that Nintendo is going to come out swinging, with a console that hopefully can correct some of the things that they have failed to do correctly. E3 is going to really be interesting this year, I cannot wait.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gametrailers.com is doing an E3 preliminary show, Nintendo is Episode 1 - Link: http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/504?ch=1

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's my guess:

-HD
    -Controller is similar to a gameboy advance with touch screen
    -Ability to stream games in netflix style
    -Console size similar to wii, probably a bit larger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calgon View Post
    Here's my guess:

-HD
    -Controller is similar to a gameboy advance with touch screen
    -Ability to stream games in netflix style
    -Console size similar to wii, probably a bit larger
    Oooh fun, here's mine:

- HD
    - More powerful than the 360 but not amazingly so, like GC>PS2
    - Controller will have a screen, a hybrid of the lower half of DS and GC controller.
    - Console will be horizontal and quite small.
    - BC with Wii and probably GC titles.
    - The VC/Wiiware will carry over and titles will be transferable.

- Motion control will be retained with Wiimotes being (forward?) compatible. An improved version will also be released.
    - Mini-games/downloadable titles will be able to be streamed to the controller.
    - 3DS will be able to function as a secondary controller.

- Launch titles will include Pikmin 3, Wii Sports 2 and a 'big' title from a 3rd party such as GTA V, Resient Evil etc
    - Possibly also a new 2D SMB to properly demonstrate the controller screen, new online features and to ensure it sells.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Time warp double post. Doing my part to train the benevolent overseer. My brains taste yucky BTW.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 05-09-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I'm not sold on this thing. The Wii was a huge disappointment that just collects dust. As someone who doesn't give a shit about Mario or Zelda or Smash Bros I want something with good third party support which frankly Nintendo doesn't have, except on the DS.

Sony and Microsoft will come out with their new systems after this and Nintendo will have the weakest system again and companies will have to release a scaled down version with tacked on gimmick controller support just for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's about time for Sega to just release another console. They are WAYYY in the black now - not like they don't have money anymore. Hell they have more money now than they've had since before the Saturn and DC days.

I'm not impressed by the Wii either. I only like the VC on it, and Metroid, and not much else.

Sega needs to come out swinging and put Nintendo to shame.

Sometimes I think the Xbox is the Sega of today, basically. The gamers that would be playing on a new Sega are on the Xbox. Just my opinion.

I don't think everyone should be too quick to assume what Nintendo is doing. They may have announced a few features, but until the unvieling I am not gonna give my opinion on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    I'm not sold on this thing. The Wii was a huge disappointment that just collects dust. As someone who doesn't give a shit about Mario or Zelda or Smash Bros I want something with good third party support which frankly Nintendo doesn't have, except on the DS.

Sony and Microsoft will come out with their new systems after this and Nintendo will have the weakest system again and companies will have to release a scaled down version with tacked on gimmick controller support just for it.
    There are people who don't like Mario or Zelda?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    There are people who don't like Mario or Zelda?
    I've actually lost interest in 3-D Mario games. I hate the imprecision in the jumping and the collection tasks. Galaxy was alright, but I think the Wii was just too underpowered to offer anything really amazing. I do dig New SMB, however.

New console Zelda releases, on the other hand, will get me buy a new console. Twilight Princess blew my mind and renewed my faith in Nintendo's competence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I've actually lost interest in 3-D Mario games. I hate the imprecision in the jumping and the collection tasks. Galaxy was alright, but I think the Wii was just too underpowered to offer anything really amazing. I do dig New SMB, however.

New console Zelda releases, on the other hand, will get me buy a new console. Twilight Princess blew my mind and renewed my faith in Nintendo's competence.
    I thought New Super Mario Bros. Wii was one of the greatest games in 10 years. It far outsold the Galaxy games to the point where it's one of the top five selling games in history. Did you like that one?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As long as nintendo's "core" titles (dk, metroid, mario, zelda, yadda yadda) continue to be only on nintendo consoles (and I can't imagine anything short of no new nintendo consoles ever changing THAT fact) I'm buying nintendo's systems.

Why do I want a 3DS? Pre-ordered mario, paper mario, mario kart, and zelda. Why do I want whatever the next console is called? Same damn games basically. Third party support would be great but I'm not holding my breath and frankly I have more fun playing nintendo's titles anyways.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    I thought New Super Mario Bros. Wii was one of the greatest games in 10 years. It far outsold the Galaxy games to the point where it's one of the top five selling games in history. Did you like that one?
    Yup! I actually said that in my post

I actually played it on the ds, though. I sold my wii before new smb came out. If the new console is backwards compatible, I'll definitely grab new smb for it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by camarotuner View Post
    As long as nintendo's "core" titles (dk, metroid, mario, zelda, yadda yadda) continue to be only on nintendo consoles (and I can't imagine anything short of no new nintendo consoles ever changing THAT fact) I'm buying nintendo's systems.

Why do I want a 3DS? Pre-ordered mario, paper mario, mario kart, and zelda. Why do I want whatever the next console is called? Same damn games basically. Third party support would be great but I'm not holding my breath and frankly I have more fun playing nintendo's titles anyways.
    I'm with you that I like their "Core" titles, for the most part. But I am not gonna pre-order anything for those titles. It's one of those "eventually I'll get it" type of a thing. The older I get, the more I wait for stuff to end up on the discount rack or get to the $99 price point, which is gonna be soon for the Wii and the 360 I have a feeling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Yup! I actually said that in my post
    You did, I have to pay more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    The older I get, the more I wait for stuff to end up on the discount rack or get to the $99 price point, which is gonna be soon for the Wii and the 360 I have a feeling.
    Shouldn't it be the opposite, since now that you're older you have a lot more money than when you were a teen? Unless you are really old, where it reverses again, like when they use tons of coupons and go out to eat at 4:00 so they can get the early bird special for a great price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being an adult, one also has more options on what to buy. Plus, there is also responsibility. I'm with him on that. I'm going to wait for any new acquisitions unless it's something particularly special.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We all remember what happened when the Dreamcast and Saturn launched ahead of the competition.

I'd like to think Nintendo will bring the console up to PS3 standards (remember that technology is five years old) and still offer something innovative at a reasonable price-point. I think streaming content might help 3rd parties get involved since they'd be trimming manufacturing costs. That said Nintendo will still need a bunch of friendly, inviting 1st party software ready to go. The N64 lived on Mario64 for such a long time that one might argue the best game for the system was the first one released. Nintendo will need to bring a little of that plus wii sports redux to the table to get me and other casual gamers interested.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just so we're clear I pre-order and buy all my core nintendo titles at launch day simply because I work for GS. Between the employee discount and the reward point program I make out ok. I use the points to get useless nintendo trinkets like exclusive keychains and stuff. Not appealing to most people but I like it.

Now my poor PS3 doesn't get anything bought new but NHL each september. Otherwise I wait for clearance, b2g1 free used sales, or anything else to drive the price down since most games tank quickly in price anymore.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    ^^
    Anyone who buys a Nintendo console for anything other than first party games is a bozo. Those days are over. Third party software is a nice bonus, but you can't expect it.

Nintendo's refusal to sell hardware at a loss puts them in a position where they are not adequately motivated to court third parties relative to their competition, and this will continue.

Expect Mario and Zelda and Pikmin on nicer hardware, nothing else. It will be enough for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you buy into all the rumors, it sounds as if the Wii HD should at least be better placed for 3rd parties to thrive than the Wii has been.