Thread: Modern Game Comparisons?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Modern Game Comparisons?

Hi all,

Back in the great console wars of the 90's we used to compare the visuals between the SNES and Genesis to see which platform came closest to the Holy Grail...arcade perfect. This went on for years until eventually the home consoles overtook the arcades. Nowadays we compare cross platform titles to see which version, PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, is the closest to the PC or offers the definitive experience. How many of you use comparisons to influence which version of a modern console game you purchase? Do you guys enjoy screenshot and video comparisons?
    Corey | GameBlurb | www.gameblurb.net

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just go ahead and buy games on their best platform

FPS, RTS and strategy games on PC, pretty much everything else on consoles.

For cross platforms titles I will surely wait for the reviews on both consoles before making my choice. I always try to find a "head to head" comparisons.

That's the beauty of having all 3 consoles + a gaming PC rig.
    From the Alpha... to the Omega

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

My comparison is a simple one. I do 95% of my current gen console gaming on 360, I've invested the time into my gamer score and all that and have many more friends on XBL than I do on PSN. If the game comes out for both, then I buy 360 version. My PS3 titles are all exclusives to the system.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    My comparison is a simple one. I do 95% of my current gen console gaming on 360, I've invested the time into my gamer score and all that and have many more friends on XBL than I do on PSN. If the game comes out for both, then I buy 360 version. My PS3 titles are all exclusives to the system.
    That is how I typically purchase my games as well. I buy a majority of multi-platform games on the Xbox 360 because generally it is the lead platform for development. Also, most of my friends are on XBL as well. But, every once in a while when doing comparisons for GameBlurb I will find a title that is equal or better on the PS3 (ex: Portal 2) and I'll pick it up on that platform. I do find it very interesting spotting the differences in visuals for cross platform games, I guess it's a result of growing up during the 8/16/32bit era.

Anyways, if you are interested in seeing some of my comparisons, here is a page with all of them:
    GameBlurb Versus

I guess next year we will have a new addition to the comparisons - Wii 2. Gonna get interesting...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't own a 360. However, if I hear that the 360 version of something is significantly better, I may hold off on purchasing it. The idea being that someday I'll get a 360 and the 360 version of the game. But I do still research just about everything.

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only time I recall that being an issue for me this generation has been Final Fantasy - I ended up getting the PS3 version. I probably would have got that version anyway, and, I only ended up playing about 6 hours of it before it ended up in my "finish later" pile. So I guess it didn't even matter. In the future the most I can imagine doing is a quick search to make sure a certain version wasn't glaringly inferior.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pixelsnpolygons View Post
    The only time I recall that being an issue for me this generation has been Final Fantasy - I ended up getting the PS3 version. I probably would have got that version anyway, and, I only ended up playing about 6 hours of it before it ended up in my "finish later" pile. So I guess it didn't even matter. In the future the most I can imagine doing is a quick search to make sure a certain version wasn't glaringly inferior.
    Haha, yeah FFXIII is in my to finish pile as well. To be honest, I don't think any of my friends completed the game either. And now Square wants to make FFXIII-2. Oh goody.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

If it were not for PS3 exclusives I would never even consider a PS3. It seems that Sony dropped the ball with getting programmers to feel comfortible with programming on the console. To this day I still read about developers complaining about the unecissary complexity and awkward structure of the PS3. Yes, it's nice that the processor can take a huge load off of the graphics card but a programmer has to be taught to think that way with the PS3 and that obvioulsy didn't happen. I want a console that I know a developer is comfortible with and that they are experienced programming for (ie. standard programming practices). I don't compare the most powerful like many of us did in the 80's - 90's, I compare what syatem has the most support of the programmers that make the games I play.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI