Thread: Post subject: saturn CD-R problems HELP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Post subject: saturn CD-R problems HELP

I have gotten my saturn modded and all ready to go this is a model two saturn with jap/usa region switch and it also is chipped
    It plays all originals jap and us fine and the switch is fully functional

I have tried to burn 2 games dragon ball z and radiant silvergun

with dragon ball z it was on a maxell cd-r burned at 8x slowest imgburn would let me go, the game boots and plays fine usually on the first try, it has frozen on me once but usually runs flawlessly if i let the saturn run for about 15 mins and reset it it will no longer accept the back up it will not see it as an application and just wants to play as an audio cd (please note the system will still read originals here still)

with radiant i burned one copy from an iso/mp3 source on sony cd-r at 8x the sony has a very bluish dye the disk is just plain rejected by the saturn it tried to load once but black screened

I burned a second copy from a bin/cue source on memorex at 4x (burned at a friends house) and it has the same symptoms as dragonball z it will run but if i reset the console it will not read the cd-r anymore it also will not read if the system has been on for a period of time

I was wondering is it the cd-rs, the speed, could the laser be going out, do i need to adjust the pot, any ideas thank you I do have a spare saturn but i really dont want to sacrifice it if not at all necessary

Insert Coin (Level 0) synbiosfan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    synbiosfan

I happen to use imgburn and Sony cd-r's but you may want to try Alcohol & Verbatim discs.

Have you tried to play the discs on an emulator? If they work fine there, your laser may need tweaking or be going out.

Try to avoid mp3s when possible, they cause sound distortions imo.

It really could be a number of things
    Diabetes Sucks!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Be careful with this. I killed my Amiga cd32 doing this. Burned cd-rs don't always work correctly, snd ive never gotten one to work on a jp or us saturn.

They can put a lot of stress on the laser. If youre getting really long load times or the drive is making funny noises, pull the game out and burn a new copy. Some of the games just never work right. Thats my experience with amiga cd, pc engine and sega cd, anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

I've generally found that Taiyo Yuden ("made in Japan" CD-Rs, regardless of package brand) discs work the most reliably. Other CD-Rs can really be a crapshoot on older drives, like 90s game consoles.

While the old general rule is to burn at the slowest speed, I've found that most modern CD burners I've used actually seem optimized to produce reliable discs at their highest speeds. I get more reliable results burning at max speed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had strange luck w/ Saturn CD-Rs as well. I have Taiyo Yuden CDs, which seem to work perfectly once they start, but whether or not they'll be detected is another story. When I pop a CD-R in, it usually takes a while to say "Start Application" (if it does), but if I put in an original, it says "Start Application" very quickly. If I then put in a CD-R after already having an original in, it accepts CD-Rs very quickly.

Right now, my method is just to first pop in an original, then pop in a CD-R. Kinda annoying, but not really a big deal.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you guys dont think its the laser? it is either the cds or the program?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hate to bring up an old thread but

Im still having issues with this saturn I have found out that the ram cart does not help with the us version of marvel super heroes. i need the jap version but i have never solved the issues with this, any more ideas?