Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

My main gripe is that, after releasing the awesome DsiXL, why in the world would they release a new console with smaller screens, or similar to that of the original Dsi? Sure, the top screen is bigger, but the touch screen at the bottom is roughly the same size of that of the Dsi.

Yes, the DsiXL spoiled me rotten.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I'm sure that the 3DS will find its groove once Nintendo releases something with Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid or Star Fox in the title, what I find interesting is that the gaming community seems to forget that history has recently and repeatedly shown that being on the top of the pile where sales are concerned does not automatically guarantee repeated/identical success out of the gate with your next product.

Not that the 3DS is going to cause any sudden fall from grace for Nintendo where their position is concerned ... but, just BECAUSE the DS brand/family has dominated the market - there are no guarantees that the next thing will repeat that success.

The actual release window of the 3DS along with the lack of franchise software almost seems to be a calculated slow-play by Nintendo. They typically seem to revel in the showiness of having product sold-out-for-months-and-months, but this seems to be almost purposely readily available.

Almost all of the reasons listed in this thread make sense - price point, lack of AAA franchise titles, etc.

Time will tell. We'll see what happens. In the meantime I'm enjoying mine.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Not that the 3DS is going to cause any sudden fall from grace for Nintendo where their position is concerned ... but, just BECAUSE the DS brand/family has dominated the market - there are no guarantees that the next thing will repeat that success.
    They basically created this market and have dominated it for over 20 years.

It's difficult to imagine a scenario where suddenly after over two decades that they're not the dominant force in handheld gaming. Past history makes it a pretty safe bet to predict that they're going to lead this handheld generation as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    They basically created this market and have dominated it for over 20 years.

It's difficult to imagine a scenario where suddenly after over two decades that they're not the dominant force in handheld gaming. Past history makes it a pretty safe bet to predict that they're going to lead this handheld generation as well.
    They monopolized the market in the US for over 10 years, but legitimate competition has since entered that market in the form of Sony and Apple. And unlike past competition, they've subsisted and/or flourished instead of folding. Competition like that may strain Nintendo's dominance or make it more challenging to maintain.

While there is a large portion of the core gaming community that continues to deny the legitimacy of iOS devices being "competition" on any level, billions in sales and DEEP mainstream cultural permeation of iOS gaming may have long-term effects on Nintendo holding 100% of the market share generation-over-generation. Will they still lead for the immediate future? Most likely. Will they ever monopolize it again? I sincerely doubt it.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They probably flounced the 3DS out hasty like to make all the hype room available for the Wii successor. They need that competitive edge on the console front and also needed to get the new handheld out of it's way and limelight.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    They monopolized the market in the US for over 10 years.
    Again, it's over 20 years. They've been the dominant force in handheld gaming since basically helping create the market well over two decades ago (Discounting some small niche devices that preceded their GameBoy line, LCD handhelds, etc.).

I agree that they have the most serious competition in handheld gaming that they've ever had with Sony (What, 60 million or so PSP's sold with a successor on the way?), growth in cellphone gaming, Apple's gaming entry, etc. I have no doubt we're not going see the 3DS dominate to the extent their past devices have.

But your post made it sound like we see regular shifts in power in this market. That simply hasn't been the case. History tells us that Nintendo dominates handheld gaming, it doesn't tell us that we've been "repeatedly shown that being on the top of the pile where sales are concerned does not automatically guarantee repeated/identical success out of the gate with your next product."

History tells us Nintendo is going to outsell their direct competition this generation just like they've been doing since 1989.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Again, it's over 20 years. They've been the dominant force in handheld gaming since basically helping create the market well over two decades ago (Discounting some small niche devices that preceded their GameBoy line, LCD handhelds, etc.).

I agree that they have the most serious competition in handheld gaming that they've ever had with Sony (What, 60 million or so PSP's sold with a successor on the way?), growth in cellphone gaming, Apple's gaming entry, etc. I have no doubt we're not going see the 3DS dominate to the extent their past devices have.

But your post made it sound like we see regular shifts in power in this market. That simply hasn't been the case. History tells us that Nintendo dominates handheld gaming, it doesn't tell us that we've been "repeatedly shown that being on the top of the pile where sales are concerned does not automatically guarantee repeated/identical success out of the gate with your next product."

History tells us Nintendo is going to outsell their direct competition this generation just like they've been doing since 1989.
    To clarify, I was referring to the dynamic shifts in the console market.

Both Nintendo and Sony have lost the 1st place sales position in recent generations (including the current), and in both cases there seemed to be an expectation that brand leadership laid sufficient groundwork for repeat success where it actually did not in the marketplace.

Yes, Nintendo has been in the portable market for 20+ years, and it is absolutely correct that Nintendo has never shifted from 1st place in sales where portable gaming is concerned.

What I was alluding to with the 10 year period (slightly less actually, maybe 7-8 years) was the noteworthy fact that for a period they monopolized that market with no competition (as in no other choice for consumers in portable game systems that were available in the market/at retail for longer than a year if that).

With arguably the biggest competition, the Game Gear's production ending in 1997 and the PSP not entering the market until 2005. Nintendo dominated that portion of the market uncontested.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its not a fair comparison to compare the PS2 launch to the 3DS. Ps2 at release was a very good DvD player at the time, and its cost was only a little higher than most DvD players at the time to. So as a gamer without a DvD player, buying one was a no brainer. Sony hoped the same trend would effect the PS3 with Blue-ray but...Yea that didnt work out to well.

Insert Coin (Level 0) -dustburn-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    1891-1176-8170

Honestly, the feature I use the most on my 3DS is the pedometer. It's gotten me out walking all over Milwaukee. I wish they wouldn't limit the play coins to 10 a day, that's a buzzkill. But although I am really happy with the system, this is a definite lull in excitement right now. I was expecting a system update by now as well. Or SOMETHING on spot pass or downloadable content. Waiting for this system to unlock its features and true potential is what's really killing me. I want my Netflix now, damnit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everyone I've said this to so far hasn't believed me but I'm quite sure the sales will pick up once Zelda comes out in June.

The launch titles seemed mostly underwhelming. We had Bust-A-Move Universe, which is the same as the other games (not a bad thing really), Pilotwings Resort which is cute but lacking the fun factor of the other two Pilotwings games, Rayman DS which is another port of Rayman 2, SSFIV which is a shrunken-down port of SSFIV, and so on and so forth.

To make matters worse the only new game since the launch here was a Tom Clancy game, wasn't it? I mean, I like Tom Clancy games as much as the next guy but c'mon.

It'll all get better once Zelda drops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Quote Originally Posted by Yashichi View Post
    Everyone I've said this to so far hasn't believed me but I'm quite sure the sales will pick up once Zelda comes out in June.
    Is that a good thing, though? Zelda is just another Ocarina of Time port. I know people are excited about it, but wouldn't it be better if the big game everyone was excited about was a new one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -dustburn- View Post
    Honestly, the feature I use the most on my 3DS is the pedometer.
    I thought they'd learn something from all the bad press they got over Pictochat...

Nightline "To Catch a Predator" crew orders 3000 3DS units...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcice View Post
    Is that a good thing, though? Zelda is just another Ocarina of Time port. I know people are excited about it, but wouldn't it be better if the big game everyone was excited about was a new one?
    Not sure if it's a good thing myself. Mainly because if it does take off it'll prompt Nintendo to possibly port the game again.....to the Wii 2! :P

But I'm mainly going by how every previous Zelda: OoT port has sold like hotcakes. I honestly don't see this being any different.

Kinda like how lots of people kept buying the SMB1 ports and the SF2 ports over and over again. (I was one of those people.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

We've never had an Ocarina of Time remake. This isn't a port, it's being rebuilt from the ground up and modernized to take advantage of the hardware, advancements in technology since 1998, and to address complaints with the original.

It's hardly just them creating an emulator running the original code, which is what we got on the GameCube and Wii. So for anyone that loves Ocarina of Time, they'd serve themselves well to do some investigating to see just what we're getting instead of just writing it off as yet another rerelease of the same thing.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

We've never had an Ocarina of Time remake. This isn't a port, it's being rebuilt from the ground up and modernized to take advantage of the hardware, advancements in technology since 1998, and to address complaints with the original.

It's hardly just them creating an emulator running the original code, which is what we got on the GameCube and Wii. So for anyone that loves Ocarina of Time, they'd serve themselves well to do some investigating to see just what we're getting instead of just writing it off as yet another rerelease of the same thing.
    In all fairness though, the game isn't getting a complete overhaul. The graphics have been enhanced and there are some minor tweaks to certain portions of the game to address difficulty imbalances, but basically, it is just a remake of a game that really isn't all that old.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I thought they'd learn something from all the bad press they got over Pictochat...

Nightline "To Catch a Predator" crew orders 3000 3DS units...
    I think that show got cancelled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No wonder it's not selling well then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    In all fairness though, the game isn't getting a complete overhaul. The graphics have been enhanced and there are some minor tweaks to certain portions of the game to address difficulty imbalances, but basically, it is just a remake of a game that really isn't all that old.
    In other words, just what I said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Here's a little view into gaming's future:

When I'm home and I want to play a game...I fire up one of my consoles.

When I'm not at home, in bed, during commercials in an NFL game, etc...I play a game/browse the internet/mess around with apps/send e-mails/take pictures/movies/or do a million other things on my smartphone.

Handhelds have essentially become obsolete in my life. I suspect more and more people are slowly gravitating over to this way of thinking. I still (foolishly) buy games for my DS and PSP. There's a true desire to play them, but the reality is...I rarely do.

That's ultimately why I didn't buy a 3DS. I probably will eventually (is OOT nostalgia worth $300? Yes, it is.), but the game library will have to be exponentially bigger and better from what it is now.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

What "difficulty imbalances" were there for ocarina of time? It seemed to be straightforward to me. I must have missed something.
    Life is like a hurricane...