Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3DS Selling Below Expectations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcice View Post
    ...I do appreciate that they've put a lot of work into it and it's not identical, but it's certainly extremely close.
    who cares? this game is gonna push systems like mad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcice View Post
    I shouldn't have called it "just another port", but I think my point stands that it's unfortunate that one of the biggest releases on the 3DS's horizon is a fairly close remake of a game that's seen many releases before. I do appreciate that they've put a lot of work into it and it's not identical, but it's certainly extremely close.
    I agreed with the point you were making, actually. That's why I only quoted a small portion of it.

I admit though that I love that we're getting a handheld version of Ocarina of Time (And a significantly enhanced version at that). It's my second favorite Zelda game and one of my favorite games of all time, but this rerelease alarms me all the same. I want an original Zelda game on this handheld eventually, not an existing one. I hope this isn't one and done on this platform.

That said, I still wouldn't mind a Majora's Mask remake if this sells well.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-01-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    It's not like they have 4 handhelds on the market that play 4 different kinds of software. They have the original DS line and the 3DS line.

Not much different than recent years for Nintendo. For example, when the DS Lite was released, they were manufacturing and selling the backlit SP, the Micro, the original DS, and the DS Lite).

But it was still just two system lines. And relatively soon, just like with the GBA, it's clearly just going to be one. Just look at their release schedule for the original DS. They're clearly focused on the 3DS with all their eggs in that basket.

Sounds like it's actually now just 3 models, if the rumors of the DS Lite being discontinued are accurare (I honestly thought they had ceased manufacturing that quite a while ago, but apparantly not).
    It reads like an over-served market at a certain threshold. Choice is a good thing, but there is a point where you start competing with yourself where offering more choice becomes counter-productive. GBA Micro suffered because of this as well... The commonality between both sets of 4 is they all play the backwards comp/ software: GBA/Micro - DS/Lite set all played GBA games and DSLite/DSi/XL - 3DS all play DS games. I will admit, over-served is better than under. It's just sub-optimal.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Maybe there are simply too many video game systems on the market?
    The 3DS might not be selling as well as "analysts" anticipated right out of the gate, but it's off to a solid, steady start. Roughly 5 million in its first two months seems pretty good to me. I think monthly sales figures will get even higher by this Christmas, too. We'll see.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 05-02-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    The 3DS might not be selling as well as "analysts" anticipated right out of the gate, but it's off to a solid, steady start. Roughly 5 million in its first two months seems pretty good to me. I think monthly sales figures will get even higher by this Christmas, too.
    It's actually Nintendo's own projections and expectations that it's selling below, not analysts'. Millions of sales is hardly bad, but it's still a cause of concern for Nintendo. Otherwise Iwata wouldn't be committing to "turning that situation around".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wasn't it selling in record numbers, at least initially? It's certainly not performing poorly.

And Icarus Moonsight, you missed my point. They have two handheld lines. That there are different hardware options isn't much different than consoles like the Xbox 360 with multiple SKU's and options available.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-03-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Technically there's actually three hardware lines out of the set. The original DS architecture of the DSLite (1), the expanded DSi and the exp w/ honking screen XL (2 -- w/ beefier ARM and 2x RAM over 1) and the 3DS (3). I was trying to clear up the comparison basis I was making in that "4 DS model" post.

If it causes this much confusion between us, imagine being a purchasing parent and all you know is your kid wants a DS... Well, there's 4 of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, but every DS plays DS software and every 3DS plays 3DS software. So unless the different hardware SKU's actually deter someone from even making a purchase (Which I have trouble visualizing), I'm not sure I see what the problem is.

They're not in a situation like Atari was in the mid 1980s when they were supporting the 5200 with rereleases and new joysticks (And maybe a new game or two, I forget), fully supporting the Atari 2600, fully supporting the Atari 7800, fully supporting the XEGS, fully supporting their ST computer line, and legacy support for their 8 bit line.

They have DS software and they have 3DS software. I don't see how different hardware SKU's is diluting their effort by attempting to support too many devices. They're essentially just supporting two, with one of them clearly on it's way out relatively soon.

I suppose I do see an arguement there due to the DS in 3DS possibly confusing consumers about the fact that it's a brand new handheld line and not just yet another hardware revision that plays the same software.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-02-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would think that the vague designations only serve to further frustrate an impulse buyer. Referring to both Nintendo and Atari on that one. There's more offenders -- PS2/3, Xbox 360. I've always been left non-plussed by numeral designations (alpha-numeric isn't much better either). Bring little to the table. They have no character at all.

Hell, with four iterations of the DS it's easy to see how someone might just assume the 3DS is merely a fifth one, not realizing it's a whole new platform.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 05-02-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    vince026

I'd probably buy it for zelda: oot if only the damn system would work on my eyes.. I tried it in every single perspective possible and i always see things double and it gives me a headache. I'm getting old

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by iDub View Post
    I'd probably buy it for zelda: oot if only the damn system would work on my eyes.. I tried it in every single perspective possible and i always see things double and it gives me a headache. I'm getting old
    You can always turn off the 3D effect and view it in a traditional manner. That shouldn't bother your eyes anymore than a regular DS, PSP, or Game Boy Advance does.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

You can always turn off the 3D effect and view it in a traditional manner. That shouldn't bother your eyes anymore than a regular DS, PSP, or Game Boy Advance does.
    Turning the 3D off actually looks pretty nice! It has a nifty scanline-type effect.

Insert Coin (Level 0) -dustburn-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    1891-1176-8170

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Not too many systems, more like too many options for basically the same thing... Nintendo is selling 4 models of portables right now. That's sort of nuts honestly.
    I hope Nintendo is going to dry this situation up asap by stopping manufacturing all but maybe the DSi XL. I think a lower priced option should still be present, and also to mention it's the best of the best representative of the DS line. There will always be however many of millions of used units for the public to buy. This would be a smart step.
    MORE PROMOTION. That's all. They gotta get down on a basic level and really get the word out. The more demos where people can see for themselves, the better. There should be hands on promotions with people there to answer questions. Sure, New York and L.A. might get this, but what about cities like Atlanta, Milwaukee, Houston, Portland, Philly, Miami, and so on, and so on? Prolly unrealistic for me to suggest, but in my head it makes sense.
    I bet they are KICKING themselves for releasing Pokemon White/Black for the DS. If that was a 3DS launch title, the kids would know ALLLL about the 3DS.
    I'm going crazy waiting for a system update.
    Honeymoon's over, Nintendo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -dustburn- View Post
    I bet they are KICKING themselves for releasing Pokemon White/Black for the DS. If that was a 3DS launch title, the kids would know ALLLL about the 3DS.
    The kids *will* be all about the 3DS this Christmas. Any sales Nintendo makes between now and then is just bonus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

This is what I have to do, otherwise I am unable to play with the 3DS.

Still, I rather wait until there is an XL type 3DS in order to purchase one.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -dustburn- View Post
    Honeymoon's over, Nintendo.
    It's an industry wide problem currently, and it was a problem in the past with concerns other than Nintendo. But I do agree, I've been pulling away from current gaming in increments for a few years now because of things like this. The GBA/DS did get us though. We've bought multiple units of each iteration (almost, only one original GBA and DSi). I'm taking a wait and see on 3DS. Won't hurt... My DS backlog is immense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I bought one and Ghost Recon and while it's fun I usually just use my 3DS to play DS games. How many games came out since launch? 2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    How many good games came out since launch? 2?
    Fixed, although "2" is probably stretching things a bit.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Overbite View Post
    I bought one and Ghost Recon and while it's fun I usually just use my 3DS to play DS games. How many games came out since launch? 2?

Correct. 2 games have been released since launch. Everything else released dropped either on Launch day, or during the week before.

May will be much more active than April was. DOA, RE and a bunch of other stuff is hitting the next few weeks.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0) Joe Redifer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's so damn hard for me to get a streetpass. I wish more than 14 people owned a 3DS. C'mon people, buy them! I want more streetpasses!