The part that concerns me about the crusade against Sony is that Sony isn't doing anything different from any other company/organization. Be it Nintendo, MS, Citibank, or the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Of course the situation is balls. And of course there are ample reasons to be extra careful when you have sensitive personal information in your company systems. But the elephant in the room is that this could have been any company.

If Sony's security measures were decidedly substandard compared to other organizations that deal with sensitive data (or simply what's considered standard practice and "reasonable" behavior) then zoning in on Sony in particular would be more than justified. But I'm not sure that's the case. What I see is a game of hot potato. Sony just happened to be the schlemiel that was holding it when the music stopped.

That doesn't excuse the situation or kiss the boo-boo to make it all better but I think it says something when the name "Sony" in "Fuck Sony" or "I hate Sony" or "Sony screwed up" could easily be the variable "X."