Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PSN Information has been compromised

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSN Information has been compromised

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164186p1.html

So it seems the worst has been confirmed.

I do believe it is time to hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo credit card cuz they stealin' errbody's info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Ayep.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Fuck.

I'm calling my big sister... her son bought games via PSN a while back, gotta make sure she didn't loan him her credit card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Annnnnd I just bought myself a PSP and downloaded a PSX game for it just two weeks ago.

So now what, call the bank/credit card company and let them know?
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

It's probably too late to delete my info from the account?

...oh wait, I can't even log on to do that. Great.

This is seriously not okay.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

And now no one can bitch about paying for Xbox Live, because now you'll be paying for PSN too

Seriously though, Sony's in deep shit if credit card numbers were indeed taken. I hope no one actually gets their numbers fucked with. Check those charges!

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Huh.

Welp... time to call the bank and change all my passwords. Thanks Sony.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They said there is no evidence that credit card info has been stolen, but they haven't ruled it out yet, so better to be safe than sorry. I used a debit card or PSN card for all my purchases, so I don't have to worry about some ass trying to run up my bill, but I will be monitoring my account for the next few months for purchases.

They do have other info such as passwords, security questions, address, email, phone number, etc. though, so be wary. And be sure to change all your passwords and whatnot as soon as it goes back online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrNelson View Post
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164186p1.html

So it seems the worst has been confirmed.

I do believe it is time to hide yo kids, hide yo wife, and hide yo credit card cuz they stealin' errbody's info.
    Lol! I want a tshirt with him saying that line. But, in all seriousness this is a huge ass mess. Now I really don't mind paying $60 for XBLA. Closed systems have their advantages.
    Corey | GameBlurb | www.gameblurb.net

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Here is the OFFICIAL page and statement from Sony.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...-and-qriocity/

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:
    We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1.Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;
    2.Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
    3.Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.
    We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:

U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a “fraud alert” on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.

Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
    Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
    TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
    Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

looks like 12/21/12 got here a year and a half early
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

I used both my Money Mastercard (credit/debit linked to checking) and my AMEX Gold on PSN. I am not concerned about AMEX, because I know they will just remove the charges. I am, however, worried about my debit card because, like you, I don't have a lot of money, but they do let me go up to -$500 with fees attached to every debit/credit under $0. I'd pay more in fees then the hackers get in products!

They said there is no evidence that credit card info has been stolen, but they haven't ruled it out yet, so better to be safe than sorry. I used a debit card or PSN card for all my purchases, so I don't have to worry about some ass trying to run up my bill, but I will be monitoring my account for the next few months for purchases.

They do have other info such as passwords, security questions, address, email, phone number, etc. though, so be wary. And be sure to change all your passwords and whatnot as soon as it goes back online.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The fact that it took Sony nearly a week to inform customers that our info has been stolen is unacceptable. They were just trying to cover their ass over the whole thing until yesterday the psx-scene rumors went mainstream. People started to realize what really happened, and Sony finally came clean to an extent. You can be assured that your credit card info was taken as well, they just aren't admitting it yet.

I will only give them credit for taking their system offline... but if you believe the psx-scene take, Sony only did so after people figured out how to obtain all PSN content for free, not because user info was at risk. That was apparently already compromised.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thankfully, I only use PSN prepaid cards to purchase from the store. But I will still change my PSN password.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

Oh goody

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

People are reporting bank accounts being emptied on Kotaku. I sincerely hope it's just bullshit.

What a fuck up.

Thank god hackers love Microsoft and would never hack the Xb...oh wait.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    People are reporting bank accounts being emptied on Kotaku. I sincerely hope it's just bullshit.

What a fuck up.

Thank god hackers love Microsoft and would never hack the Xb...oh wait.
    But how? Only way I can imagine is having one of those debit/credit card tied to the bank account.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    But how? Only way I can imagine is having one of those debit/credit card tied to the bank account.
    You can use your debit card on PSN (and most online stores). Bad, bad idea....but if some idiot can't get a credit card, they probably (at least) have a debit card.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You don't have to worry?

You're worse off if you used your debit card instead of a credit card...

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

I have my debit info stored on PSN, bought over $400 worth of stuff. Im not even worried. Anon isnt after me... Aint even mad.
    Last edited by FxMercenary; 04-26-2011 at 08:21 PM.