Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PSN Information has been compromised

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post

So is PSN still down? I wouldn't know because that would require me to use it.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    KingOfPain95

I Use prepaid cards so no credit card worries but i am worried about me & my brothers login info.
    Thank God i don't use the same email login for facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Hmm ... compromised data aside - other than the loss of 2-3 weeks subscription fees for DCUO (which can't be more than $20 and I'm sure SOE is prepared to credit), what reasons could they possibly sue for that would be worth the costs of legal fees and/or any judge would take seriously?

Personally, if I had a DCUO account I'd probably just call Sony and ask for a credit before filing a lawsuit.
    Even with Sony reimbursing them I'm fairly certain that some of them will atleast try to jump on the newly started class action lawsuit.

By the way, why are you pretending to be Mr. Sony PR in this thread? I'm pretty sure you don't work for Sony so you either have stock in the company or are letting your inner fanboy get the best of you. Remember Frankie, this outage/hacking crisis is "Sony's" problem, NOT yours. You don't have to defend them everytime someone says something negative or contrary to your own opinion about them...just saying.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    You don't have to defend them everytime someone says something negative or contrary to your own opinion about them...just saying.
    I'm pretty sure Frankie is being optimistic about the entire situation. I admit ,it's something to be admired...but at least I can't be so positive about situations like these.

Just today I had customers bitch about the situation and their lack of Black Ops. One purchased an Xbox because "Sony son unos hijos the puta" for what happened.

Honestly, I could not help but laugh.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Even with Sony reimbursing them I'm fairly certain that some of them will atleast try to jump on the newly started class action lawsuit.

By the way, why are you pretending to be Mr. Sony PR in this thread? I'm pretty sure you don't work for Sony so you either have stock in the company or are letting your inner fanboy get the best of you. Remember Frankie, this outage/hacking crisis is "Sony's" problem, NOT yours. You don't have to defend them everytime someone says something negative or contrary to your own opinion about them...just saying.
    Heh.

Nope. I don't work for Sony and I don't own any stock.

Contrary to what some might think, I consider myself to be the diametric opposite of a fanboy. I go out of my way to invest my time and money in everything that every major company involved in this industry has to offer.

If it were Microsoft, Nintendo or Apple that had their servers hacked and data compromised I'd be equally frustrated by the sweeping, sensationalized, blanket vilification of the victimized corporation by gaming journalists and pretty decent segments of quote-unquote core gamers that Sony is taking right now.

I'm not trying to be contrarian it just so happens that I don't share the same opinion as those who think that Sony Computer Entertainment has some type of "human personification" and is an "evil entity" that "deserved" to be attacked by whoever is responsible for this. I don't feel that way about Nintendo or Microsoft either. I don't really share that strange psychological outlook that some gamers do where they assign "personalities" to major game companies.

Kirby hit the nail on the head ... I'm trying to look at this situation with as much logic, reason and experience as I can. It's just what I do. Hopeless optimism I suppose.

When it comes to gaming, like most if not all of us here - it's my hobby and my passion, and as an adult who has watched the industry begin, crash, revive and go through decades of dynamic evolution ... and UNLIKE some here I go out of my way avoid the negativity that so many gamers live their lives in - "this company sucks, this game sucks, this situation sucks, this company is so much better than that company, this game is so much better than that game, etc. etc. "

I just don't have any desire to be that guy. For me there's no point in being that guy. Being that guy takes years off of people's lives. I've seen it happen.

I'm a student of the industry and I immerse myself in a bit of everything that everybody has ever had to offer and I do my best to do so with no bias or preconceived notions. When something is good I revel in it. When it's not I ignore it and move on to something else, when I don't understand something I look to my friends in the community to edify me and whenever the opportunity presents itself I work to give that back to the community.

That's just me. It's who I am. I'm sorry that you don't know that about me.

As far as this specific situation is concerned, I've made it clear that I think it sucks. I'm not sure what else I need to do to make that clear.

It's a terrible fucking thing and both the gaming public and Sony are suffering through it ... and as much as some people may think that we have it worse than Sony, I'm sure that those who actually DO work for Sony are NOT loving their jobs and/or their lives right now and won't for the weeks and months that follow.

Where the news is concerned I'm just trying to sprinkle a bit of reason in-between all the hate-speak. Sorry if it bothers you.

I get that people are frustrated over the news as its been rolling out. But, like most news in this information age, I feel that it's filtering through unofficial channels, blogs and message boards, being laced with here say, bias and unverified information that people are running with and allowing to snowball. Some (or most) people are losing sight (or completely failing to observe in the first place) of the fact that an individual or individuals are responsible for a criminal act of intrusion and potential theft of our personal, sensitive data.

I'm not in the camp that thinks that Sony or any company consisting of people who work day in and day out to make systems and games that make up the foundation of this great hobby/entertainment medium "deserves" this for how "evil" they've allegedly been to their consumer-base and no amount of anti-gaming-establishment-rhetoric is going to make me feel any different.

I blame the hacker/hackers for this and I only blame the hackers for this.

If you think Sony "deserved" to be hacked for removing things like PS2 backwards compatibility or Linux from PS3s, that's your prerogative.

Me? I think that those losses suck for PS3 owners for sure, but I fail to see how illegally hacking a network and compromising user data in any way helps the PS3 community/enthusiasts that are affected by those losses enough to have a public opinion about it and I'll never endorse those actions.

But I digress...

No.

No stock in Sony.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://ca.kotaku.com/5796902/there-a...ls-up-for-sale

And now the stolen credit card rumors begin.

I'm going to call bullshit on this one though, since Sony doesn't collect the security codes, while the people selling say they have them.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Snippity Doo Dah.
    So today an email account that I've kept scrupulously free of spam for eleven years received a spam missive offering to increase my dick size... From THAT SAME EMAIL ACCOUNT. This is the same email address associated with my PSN account. My boss also received the same offer from my MSN messenger account, which is tied to that same email address. So that was a fun conversation.

Do I have empirical evidence that this Sony bullshit is directly responsible? Nope! But the coincidence is enough to make me mad all over again.

Here's the thing, Frankie: Sony fucked up. Yes, the hackers are the scumbags ultimately responsible for my inconvenience, but I can't bitch about them except in the abstract because they're some nebulous unknown thing. Sony, the company who indirectly gave them access to all my shit, is totally a known quantity though. When I, the customer, trusted them with my personal data, there was an understanding that my boss wouldn't receive offers to increase his no doubt already impressive penile girth if I gave them my info. This wouldn't happen because they had a team of crack software engineers and security experts who's JOB IT IS TO ENSURE THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN.

Last year, a part we engineered and manufactured for (big furniture manufacturer) was discovered to have a poorly engineered clip that didn't hold as much weight as the specifications demanded. It was only a certain revision number that had the problem, but we'd shipped quite a few of them. So what we did was, we called (big furniture manufacturer), told them what had happened, and got down to business. Everyone in the plant worked twelve hours a day seven days a week for three weeks to get replacement parts out there (except the numbskull who engineered the bad part in the first place, who was fired). Did anyone who had purchased a unit and had it fail on them feel bad for us working so much? Nope! Because we screwed up! And they were inconvenienced by it! And they didn't know the name of the moron who designed the faulty part: they only knew that our logo was on it! And that's human nature!

I understand that you're trying to see it from their perspective and that you're admirably remaining optimistic, and I think you're a great guy, but you'll forgive me if I fail to feel much more than frustration and anger with Sony at the moment. I am, after all, the guy who had to explain to his boss that I had no opinion about his dick or its size today. I'm sure the engineers at Sony are working hard to correct their oversight, and I hope they nail the guy(s) who hacked their system, but the fact remains that I had to change a bunch of passwords today, and will probably end up canceling a credit card just to be safe, and that fucking sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Here's the thing, Frankie: Sony fucked up. Yes, the hackers are the scumbags ultimately responsible for my inconvenience, but I can't bitch about them except in the abstract because they're some nebulous unknown thing. Sony, the company who indirectly gave them access to all my shit, is totally a known quantity though. When I, the customer, trusted them with my personal data, there was an understanding that my boss wouldn't receive offers to increase his no doubt already impressive penile girth if I gave them my info. This wouldn't happen because they had a team of crack software engineers and security experts who's JOB IT IS TO ENSURE THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think that your frustration is undeserved, and again, I'm right there suffering along with everybody else regarding unsecured data.

And while I understand your analogy, and I appreciate that you understand my position, we in this community, even though it's not purely a hacker-centric community, know that no existing form of electronic security is ultimately infallible where hackers are concerned. If the government went after George Hotz independent of Sony I'm sure we would have seen the Pentagon the FBI and the CIA mainframes successfully hacked by Anon ... and of course in that case I doubt that we would ever know as many details as we do now.

I just can't escape the feeling that it doesn't make sense to blame a company for not having sufficient security where people who make it a point to circumvent security measures would have gone after any security measures present with a focused, deliberate effort simply to prove that they could and cause anarchic damage to the system.

Yes, it's Sony's job to ensure that things like this don't happen, but it's both tough for those in their position AND easy for those of us who were victimized via the compromise to take blame/lay blame respectively for not perceiving a flaw in a security system until it's one that's been exposed.

Like your furniture clip is concerned, yes, some of us choose to view the company as a whole and point fingers and vent frustration when something like this happens. And also similar to your furniture scenario, there are likely hundreds who work for Sony that are in no way directly responsible for the security flaw that are pulling 18 hour days to rectify this. But unlike your furniture clip business, there wasn't somebody on the outside of your company sneaking in and sabotaging those clips based on some childish vendetta. That's where my frustration reaches a boiling point - even if I'm not personally, one can justifiably be frustrated with Sony for the security flaw, no argument there - but to vilify them on the same level as the hackers is downright silly IMO.

If hypothetically it wasn't the decision of somebody within your company to select an inferior clip ... if the correct clip was selected, but a rival furniture company snuck in to your company and sabotaged a shipment with faulty clips ... while the outcome of your company having to get down to business and rectify the matter would have been the same, wouldn't you as an employee feel differently if the public largely or in some cases completely ignored the actions of the saboteur in laying blame?

There is NO reported evidence of GROSS NEGLIGENCE where this compromised data is concerned, for all intents and purposes it was secure prior to this event. Unlike other notable instances of "compromised data" It wasn't on a DVDR left out on somebody's desk, it wasn't stored in a server building with no locks on the doors, it wasn't printed on a stack of dot matrix printer paper and thrown out in the company dumpster.

But, yeah. This is a very very complicated issue that's not going to see any resolution via us talking about it, I know that my position is a very unpopular one, and while I have no problem sharing my opinion on the matter, I know that I'm not going to win anybody over who feels any differently and that I will likely have to resign myself from discussing it prior to any real resolution that actually happens in the real world.

Just know that I DO feel the part of the victim just like everybody else that's affected and I'm sure that I'm equally frustrated as many here.

I just DON'T for reasons explained above, personally feel comfortable pointing a finger of blame at anybody who isn't directly responsible for a criminal act in this case.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I work in security... There is much liability that goes with that. Sony has blame in negligence. Data has value, financial data has among the highest value. So, Sony decided to keep all that data open and free without security, but they certainly lock down their content however they can. So it's not like they were not aware of the risk. I sincerely hope they loose their asses in legal fees and settlements and Jack Trenton winds up living in a 32" Wega box. They called it down on themselves. Idiots.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-29-2011 at 07:43 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I work in security... There is much liability that goes with that. Sony has blame in negligence. Data has value, financial data has among the highest value. So, Sony decided to keep all that data open and free without security, but they certainly lock down their content however they can. So it's not like they were not aware of the risk. I sincerely hope they loose their asses in legal fees and settlements and Jack Trenton winds up living in a 32" Wega box. They called it down on themselves. Idiots.
    Can you point us to some type of official reference (that isn't a hacker blog BBS or a chat log extolling that allegation) that details that Sony's severs are/were maintained "open and free without security"?

That concept seems absolutely and completely absurd. (Not to mention contrary to the public statement post investigation that all credit card data was maintained in an encrypted state and determined to have not been compromised.)

If it is true I'd love to see proof.

Certainly a chance to alter my opinion on this matter!
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-29-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I guess some of the people who initially called the hackers "heroes" for "sticking it" to a big, evil corporation by hacking them will now be changing their tunes when their next month's credit card statement shows orders for $600 suitcases, XXX videos and airline tickets to countries they've never even heard of.
    Last edited by bangtango; 04-29-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

But has that officially happened? Last I read, there were no suspicious activities that were PSN/Sony related with mayor credit card companies.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it is true I'd love to see proof.
    If it is true, yes. I'm taking it at face value at this point, if it turns up jack, then fine. I by no means regard the parties that intruded into their system as innocent or heroic (they violated Sony property and if the CC# theft part is true, also stole or can potentially steal from their customers). They are liable for their actions, just as Sony could be liable for any lack of reasonable action or diligence. They were compromised and people have good reason to be concerned about their possible exposure. There needs to be loss in order to be owed damages.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

On the PSN account information you can remove your credit card information. At this time it doesn't help people because the PSN is down, but say you add your card to purchase something on the PSN, then afterwards you remove the card. Would they be able to pull up credit card numbers of past transactions or just the credit cards that are on file, if they did happen to pull the cards.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    If it is true, yes. I'm taking it at face value at this point, if it turns up jack, then fine. I by no means regard the parties that intruded into their system as innocent or heroic (they violated Sony property and if the CC# theft part is true, also stole or can potentially steal from their customers). They are liable for their actions, just as Sony could be liable for any lack of reasonable action or diligence. They were compromised and people have good reason to be concerned about their possible exposure. There needs to be loss in order to be owed damages.
    I'll be interested to see how it all plays out, and I completely agree with that assessment of things.

If there are any demonstrable losses by any party where this is concerned Sony should do what is needed to rectify those losses.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The part that concerns me about the crusade against Sony is that Sony isn't doing anything different from any other company/organization. Be it Nintendo, MS, Citibank, or the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Of course the situation is balls. And of course there are ample reasons to be extra careful when you have sensitive personal information in your company systems. But the elephant in the room is that this could have been any company.

If Sony's security measures were decidedly substandard compared to other organizations that deal with sensitive data (or simply what's considered standard practice and "reasonable" behavior) then zoning in on Sony in particular would be more than justified. But I'm not sure that's the case. What I see is a game of hot potato. Sony just happened to be the schlemiel that was holding it when the music stopped.

That doesn't excuse the situation or kiss the boo-boo to make it all better but I think it says something when the name "Sony" in "Fuck Sony" or "I hate Sony" or "Sony screwed up" could easily be the variable "X."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Here is the official "welcome back" run-down from Sony.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...ble-this-week/

and here is the theme from Welcome Back Kotter to play while you read it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGFwGwV1lZc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And it gets worse.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The fallout from all this is going to be enormous. I predict that within ten years, Sony will exit the video game business and probably be a laughing stock when they go. Between lost sales (who in their right mind would buy a PS3 now?) and lost money from lawsuits, they may not be able to afford to develop Playstation 4 without going so far into the red that they'll never make that money back. Nintendo will continue to sell well among families and Xbox will continue to sell among "harcore" gamers who think Nintendo is stupid. If there is another Playstation, it will probably be a distant third and be quickly forgotten. Just my two cents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt all of that very much. The breach had the potential to be disastrous, but it ended up being little more than a rude awakening for Sony. Nobody got their CC jacked.