Thread: My video game setup

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default My video game setup

Here's a tour of my gaming setup. Feel free to comment about it.

http://youtu.be/G5XI5uKi82k

I also posted a couple of game reviews (which aren't going to win any Oscars or anything). All of this is part of my new Youtube show I've been putting together.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this is a sick setup man. i can see a lot of thought went into it. The cable management is top notch. The shelving is nice and sturdy so you don't have to worry about it bowing in the middle if you used melamine board. And the overall look is super clean. The only complaint id have is your choice to use the model 2 genesis'. I'm a fan of the model 1's overall looks and sound, however your setup does look cleaner using the model 2s. To each his own. Wouldn't mind playing on your setup one bit. =)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalhat View Post
    this is a sick setup man. i can see a lot of thought went into it. The cable management is top notch. The shelving is nice and sturdy so you don't have to worry about it bowing in the middle if you used melamine board. And the overall look is super clean. The only complaint id have is your choice to use the model 2 genesis'. I'm a fan of the model 1's overall looks and sound, however your setup does look cleaner using the model 2s. To each his own. Wouldn't mind playing on your setup one bit. =)
    Thanks for the compliments. Regarding the Genesis, the Model 2 with the Sega CD has to stay because that's the one with the s-video. However, I may take your advice and set the 32x on top of a model 1.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That is awesome, I'm jealous

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    xXClan KillerXx

This is one of the best setups I have seen. The only thing I would do is try to figure out a backing for the shelves so you don't see the wires running up the back. Other than that it's awesome.
    Follow me on twitter at
    http://twitter.com/OldSkoolGaming

Checkout my Youtube Videos of Reviews, Collections, and more at www.youtube.com/user/oldskoolbrian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolBrian View Post
    This is one of the best setups I have seen. The only thing I would do is try to figure out a backing for the shelves so you don't see the wires running up the back. Other than that it's awesome.
    Thanks. At one time I had considered a "curtain" to go behind the systems, but I was concerned about it being a fire hazard. Using a boardlike material would probably entail making a lot of holes. Perhaps I'll try it one day.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    Thanks. At one time I had considered a "curtain" to go behind the systems, but I was concerned about it being a fire hazard. Using a boardlike material would probably entail making a lot of holes. Perhaps I'll try it one day.
    i think a board material would ruin the look IMO. I like the aesthetic it has right now. I like how the adapters are more or less sitting free like they are, the heat dissipation might prolong the life of them. I was wondering what was up with the trays under the consoles at first but it does a great job of hiding the cords. and gives something for the controllers to lean up against giving the setup a "useful museum" look.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a fantastic setup certainly. I have seen pictures of it a number of times before but the video shows off some new details.

I like the coordination of the numbering with the powerstrips and system selectors.

I had been wondering if you had controller extensions - I see you do. I have a thought to keep the systems with unextendable controllers on another TV. Or under the TV itself, though I see you have that full-up.

Questions:

1.) Any interference from bundling the chords together?
    2.) Have you experimented with wireless controllers for any of the older systems? I was wondering if wired would just be more convenient than dealing with retro wireless controllers and batteries...

Anyways, looking forward to the other video you spoke of...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Questions:

1.) Any interference from bundling the chords together?
    2.) Have you experimented with wireless controllers for any of the older systems? I was wondering if wired would just be more convenient than dealing with retro wireless controllers and batteries...
    1) No, since only one system is on at a time. Perhaps if I turned multiple systems on there would be a lot of signals right next to each other, but there's really no situation in which I would do that.

2) I hadn't really thought about it. I would imagine it would take additional power sources, which would require more things to turn on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I liked your Youtube review of Miracle Space Race, by the way. I would have liked it a little more if you had compared all of the PS1 games to their Nuon counterparts in Merlin Racing. I bought them all when they hit the market, just to see how different the Playstation games were to the original (I've always liked Merlin Racing, possibly because I've had such a limited exposure to kart racing/combat games). The steering in the PS1 games is pretty lousy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I liked your Youtube review of Miracle Space Race, by the way. I would have liked it a little more if you had compared all of the PS1 games to their Nuon counterparts in Merlin Racing. I bought them all when they hit the market, just to see how different the Playstation games were to the original (I've always liked Merlin Racing, possibly because I've had such a limited exposure to kart racing/combat games). The steering in the PS1 games is pretty lousy.
    Unfortunately, I don't own the other games so I couldn't comment on them. I will say, judging from by what I saw, it seems that Miracle Space Race was the worst of all of them. It just seemed like the other games had more obstacles on the courses, unlike MSR which had nothing to crash into besides the other players.

By the way, since you've played all of them, I wanted to ask you something. Do all four PS1 releases, put together, equal the entirety of Merlin Racing? In other words, are there parts (i.e., courses) in Merlin Racing that never made it into the PS1 releases? I couldn't find many specifics.