Thread: Xbox 360 no sound through HDMI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox 360 no sound through HDMI

Okay, I am having a very strange problem that is pissing me off to no end.

I run my Xbox 360 through a Pioneer VSX-819H A/V receiver to an Insignia 42 inch 720p HDTV. It's simple to hook up —*HDMI from Xbox to receiver, and HDMI from receiver to TV. Everything worked great, and I got my surround sound. Three days ago, I removed the HDMI cable connecting my Xbox to the receiver to use at a friend's house. When I brought my cable back and plugged it back in — exactly the same way as before, Xbox to receiver — I now get no sound from my Xbox. What is going on? I've google for solutions but have not found anything that works. The cable is not at fault; I have switched the two and still get no audio. Meanwhile, when I watch regular TV, the audio still works. How can I fix this? I can't play most of my games without sound!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Have you tried connecting the system directly through HDMI to your TV, bypassing your receiver?

If there is sound, then it could be the receiver itself. If there is no sound, then it might be the Xbox itself.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

ServBot (Level 11) SpasticFuctard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I had the same problem, I had to pry the case off my av connector (to get both the av connector and the hdmi cable to fit) and run hdmi and optical audio cable to my receiver to get it to work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

If you've ruled out the cable, it has to be an audio setting on the receiver or the 360. Make sure both have the correct hdmi audio setup.

While I'm not sure what your exact problem is, I do know that the simple act of attaching an hdmi cable can automatically change settings in the 360 dashboard. It took me weeks to figure out why my 360 wouldn't boot without my receiver being turned on first.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hdmi behaves erratically in some instances. On my rig, if i dont have the TV, i wont get any sound through HDMI devices unless i first put the receiver into an options menu then turn the TV off. Kinda lame if i wanna use my ps3 to play music from an ipod or PC. Try turning off HDMI-CEC. which is the option to allow other devices to be controlled over HDMI. You can also try "resetting HDMI" Do this by unplugging every device from a power source so they cant be in standby mode. Unplug every HDMI cable from both ends. come back in 5 minutes and re-hook everything up. its a long shot but hey, why not. Also go into the settings on the xbox and make sure its outputting a digital signal that the receiver can accept. (dolby digital or that crap with WMA) if your receiver will tell you, see what signal its currently being receiver by the receiver. Sometimes it will say DD 3/2/1 or something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the help, guys! I'll try this solutions tomorrow. Is there a way to restore my Xbox to factory default settings? I've hooked it up to this system three times, and this cable removal/replacement is the only thing that has caused this problem. Technology really sucks sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just solved it by resetting my receiver to factory default settings.