Thread: What is a gold NWC game?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What is a gold NWC game?

I've was reading the thread, "whats the most you would pay for a game", and some people were talking about paying like 3 or 4 grand for a gold NWC.

What the heck is a "gold NWC".

all I know is that it better be made out of solid gold, with diamonds all over it or something.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's A Nes Cart of Rad Racer, Tetris, And Super Mario Bros. that keeps score, almost like the starfox competition or donkey kong competition cart, only 26 of them were ever made, and they were distributed to winners of a nintendo power contest. NWC stands for Nintendo World Cup
    Currently Playing: Nobunaga's Ambition:LOD(Snes)

Current Systems: Coleco Gemini,Nes,Gameboy,Snes,Sega Genises,Sega Saturn,Gameboy Color,N64,PSX,Sega Dreamcast,PS2

My Collection:
    http://www.webspawner.com/users/atariman/index.html

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see. Very interesting. Is this the most valuable video game in the world?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

No, I'm sure there are more expensive ones out there, but NWC is usually the last one NES collectors like me need for their collection. I can't buy one now...I get to spend $3000+ on tools next month for school.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

A gold NWC once sold for $6,500.00

No other single game (from collector to collector) has been sold for anywhere near this.

Now the avg might be closer to 3-4k but I'd still argue its the most valuable cart in the world at this time.

Some NEO GEO games get up there in value BUT they never sold for as much as $6,500.00

Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's really strange... I can think of some stuff that comes close in terms of exclusivity in the 2600 world (CubiColor, the original Magicard, PGP-1, some prototype consoles), and they've never even approached anywhere close to that figure.

What's so different about this? (and I'm not a NES collector, so forgive my ignorance).

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

It actually stands for Nintendo World Championship.

Sometimes rarity does not totally make something valuable. There are other factors (non collectors know this, but sometimes collectors forget, heh heh). There are some really crappy rare games that don't fetch as much as rare FUN games. The fun rares will fecth more even if the production run was higher than the crappy rares sometimes. Since, in this case, it might be in higher demand, it is simply a matter of, well, supply and demand.

Now, I'm not saying that the NWC cart is super fun or anything, but sometimes the story or history behind a cart makes it all the more interesting to collect. Since NWC carts fall under this category, they fetch mucho dinero. It was used ONLY for a competiton (with the exception of one given away as a Nintendo Power magazine contest), it's not a prototype, and there was no commercial production run....how many carts can you say that for? Now that's rare, AND it has a story!

Foir another example, Chase the Chuckwagon is probably the poster child for this type of situation....its pretty darn rare, but not outrageously....you can get one for $100-120 or so loose. However, since it was only available through a wacky promotion for dog food, it is a popular catch and in demand for the atari 2600. The game isn't even that fun. It's kinda average as far as 2600 games go.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    A gold NWC once sold for $6,500.00

No other single game (from collector to collector) has been sold for anywhere near this.

Now the avg might be closer to 3-4k but I'd still argue its the most valuable cart in the world at this time.

Some NEO GEO games get up there in value BUT they never sold for as much as $6,500.00

Adam
    no offense dude but you are wrong on this one... The euro version of Kizuna Encounter is extremely rare... there are plenty of the jap version but snk took all the remaining stock from europe and changed the version due to poor sales... the last confirmed copy sold for $11,000... you can ask over at neo-geo.com, someone paid 11,000 for that game. only a handfull of the european version exist.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Andybody here remember seeing the NWC when it was on tour and trying your luck on the 'famous timed game'?

I went down to see it with a friend when it was in Worchester, Mass -- or was it Boston, I thought it was the former -- anyway, HUGE fun. I got to play a mess of new games coming up. The big draw was SMB3, they had something like 25 of them going. Other games I tried for the first time included Ninja Gaiden II, Final Fantasy, Dragon Spirt, Snakes Revenge, and Castlevania III. The games were timed so you could only play five minutes before they shut off and you went to something else. Had a lot of GB games out also, and they had a talk session with a Game Conselor, a live skit on Zelda, and prizes. And the NWC tryouts. I did well on that, I thought, but not well enough to win any of the prizes.....

I can't recall a exact date but I want to say spring of 1990.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari

Adam
    Sorry Adam, no longer accurate.

A Neo Geo AES (EURO) Kizuna Encounter went for $11,000 earlier this year.

Thus, the title has been passed on...

Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack