Thread: Will there ever be an iPhone with buttons and d-pad?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Will there ever be an iPhone with buttons and d-pad?

The idea of using a virtual d-pad and virtual buttons is just not something I'm ever going to be interested in. I know why Apple has resisted putting any physical controls on it's iPhone, but at the same time, they have to know that they could eat Nintendo's lunch if they just had a couple of buttons and a D-pad. Maybe the iPhone 6 or something, will have a snap-on attatchment that adds a D-pad and buttons, or dual analog sticks and buttons to the side of it. Keep it the regular shape for people that just don't care, but why not give an option that increases the width of the iphone a wee-bit to add some serious gaming functionality?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

No. The iOS is designed around a touch screen. There is no need for a D-Pad and a multitude of buttons. Apple won't do a physical keyboard so there is no way that a D-pad is ever going to happen.

Besides, Apple is a hardware developer that has developed a operating system to use their devices. They do not cater to games in that sense. Apple isn't making the games. The best you'll ever see is if some third party designs a shell that plugs into the 30-pin and encompasses the phone giving you a bunch of buttons and a D-Pad/analog stick.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree. I hated trying to control Street Fighter with the iPhone touch screen and have hoped there would be some sort of third-party add-on released. I guess they're actually making such things for the iPad now - an actual stick and buttons that connect to the screen. I guess, it might be possible to make a tiny version of that. But the thing you're describing is what I've wanted too. Is there really a market for it though? I mean, outside of a few people like us? Most of the popular games seem to do just fine with the touch controls and I don't see 99% of other people caring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DoggWhiskey

I don't think their main concern is competing with Nintendo.
    Life is like a hurricane...