Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

Default Turbo Duo problem

So, I did a trade on AtariAge for a Turbo Duo. It played fine until last night. I tried to play my 4-in-1 disc(the one with Gate of Thunder). It hung on the spotlight where Bonk is supposed to show up. Turned it off. Turned it back on to try again and for some reason now, the disc won't spin. It keeps trying to read the disc, as I don't see no "place disc" error. The lens appears to not move at all, as I don't hear anything.

I'm REALLY screwed because I bought a new PS3 for the guy as part of a trade and I was told by Dell that I cannot cancel the order because it's "in production". So, long story short, I have a broken Duo and I'm out about $400.

What is the problem with the Duo and how would it be fixed? PLEASE HELP!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It might just be the assembly is either stuck, or something got disconnected on the assembly. I have had a Duo since they were out (ironically via a TG upgrade through Turbo Zone Direct) and mine was giving me the same problems till it just stopped moving.

If you're not afraid of opening it (and have the bit to do so) you can see if the gear is stuck on the track due to dirt / grease mucky muck build up. It may also be stuck under one of the small pieces of plastic. Or it's actually out of grease and just needs re-greasing.

Years ago I did a replacement myself - it's like the PSX laser assembly; very simply unplug and replace. The catch with the Duo is that the ribbon cable is FREAKING FRAGILE. I spent about 25 minutes gently tugging at it to remove it and then gently re-applying it from the new assembly. After the switch, she runs like a dream. You just have to make sure the top half of the outer shell if flush so you don't scratch the disc.

The part numbers are:
    Turbo Duo - Hitachi HOP-M3
    Turbo CD - Sony KSS-220A

If you do a search, you should be able to buy one online. I got mine new from a Eastern seller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

I tried looking at it. The cylinder gear was stuck and with a little Q-Tip with WD-40, it moved again. I had it working again, but after playing the 4-in-1, the same problem occured again. I don't know why, but that disc causes the problem. It's like the laser goes all the way back and then gets stuck and then I have to do the same procedure ALL over again! With Q-Tips, I cleaned the gears with alcohol, then applied WD-40 with the Q-tips(since I don't have that red thing, I sprayed it on the Q-Tip). Same situation. I'm stuck in a rut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I doesn't do i ton any other game? does it play a music cd all the way through with no issues?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

Nope. Although for some games, it doesn't play the RedBook audio. Like Forgotten Worlds or Double Dragon II. Will burn with my other drive to confirm. But, I haven't played an audio CD on it yet.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The bigger problem is that you paid $400 bucks for a turbo duo! You should have gotten 2 turbo duos for that much. And I am not even kidding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

**SCREEEEEEEEEECHHHHHHHH**

"Nope. Although for some games, it doesn't play the RedBook audio. Like Forgotten Worlds or Double Dragon II. Will burn with my other drive to confirm. But, I haven't played an audio CD on it yet. "

You know, it would help if you mentioned you were using CDRs / burned game.

It's not the machine...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drmay View Post
    The bigger problem is that you paid $400 bucks for a turbo duo! You should have gotten 2 turbo duos for that much. And I am not even kidding.
    Could have gotten 2 PC Engine Duo R consoles even. Which are superior (and more sexy looking).

Or you could have got one Duo R, region switch modded, with RGB mod, and a minty copy of Dracula X - and had change left over.

Now if this was a very clean, complete in BOX TurboDuo, I can see that price for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    **SCREEEEEEEEEECHHHHHHHH**

"Nope. Although for some games, it doesn't play the RedBook audio. Like Forgotten Worlds or Double Dragon II. Will burn with my other drive to confirm. But, I haven't played an audio CD on it yet. "

You know, it would help if you mentioned you were using CDRs / burned game.

It's not the machine...
    It IS the machine. I played the same games on my Cousin's Duo when I first burned them and they worked PERFECTLY! When I make backups, I try to test them on the system itself and not an emulator. Systems are picky when it comes to it. The people who have problems with CD-R's have dying lasers or worn gears. Check the PC Engine Forums if you don't believe it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Turbo Duo systems are very picky when it comes to reading CDRs. There are a few factors that can help (or hurt) your systems ability to read CDRs.

1st and foremost, CDR quality. Lower quality 80 minute CDRs are the worst, high quality 74 minute CDRs are the best. The duo laser has difficulty tracking the tighter data track found with 80 minute CDRs. You have to remember, this is early 90s cdrom technology, its not as forgiving as modern equipment. High quality discs with high quality burns will give the best results.

2nd: If your duo has never had capacitors changed, then most likely some have started to leak. While this usually manifests itself in audio issues (due to the concentration and application of numerous capacitors in the various audio circuitry) some capacitors are part of the circuits that supply power etc to the laser mechanism. I've had Turbo Duos not read CDRs, and then after a full capacitor change, read them no problem.

3rd: There is a chance that your laser truly is worn out, or at least getting weak. Physically replacing it isn't much trouble, but new lasers can have manufacturing differences and may require some manual adjustments to get to work properly. Adjusting the five potentiometers for laser control can be tedious if not impossible without the right equipment (or a ton of patience!)

In summary, your Duo must be in top running condition, and your CDRs must be of the highest quality if you insist on running CDR copies. I recommend MAM-A Gold 74 minute archive discs. OF course original glass mastered discs are always the best.

Also, the Duo 4in1 CD intro sequence is particularly difficult for a Duo to read off a CDR. After the spot light, the laser must seek a track very far out on the disc and on a CDR it can overshoot the track and jam the laser at the end of the track. Sometimes you can coax it back, other times you must open the unit to manually free it.

There is a wealth of repair information over at pcenginefx.com if you have more questions.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Duo. If it were me, I would not bother attempting to tear it apart and fix it myself. Considering your investment, I think it would be worth your while to send it back to the manufacturer for repairs. It may cost you a few bucks, but I think it's worth it to make sure it's properly repaired. I am looking to buy a new system, any advice as to where would be a good place to look? Should I check out hhgregg? What do you think?
    Last edited by gaff; 07-14-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gaff View Post
    Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Duo. If it were me, I would not bother attempting to tear it apart and fix it myself. Considering your investment, I think it would be worth your while to send it back to the manufacturer for repairs. It may cost you a few bucks, but I think it's worth it to make sure it's properly repaired.
    Huh? Where should he send it, to the defunct TTi offices or direct to NEC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got 10 to 1 odds on gaff being a robot.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll take those odds!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gaff View Post
    I'll take those odds!
    Then I ask again, where should he send it, to the defunct TTi offices or direct to NEC?

Insert Coin (Level 0) weaponepsilon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    weapon epsilon
    PSN
    weapon epsilon

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    I tried looking at it. The cylinder gear was stuck and with a little Q-Tip with WD-40, it moved again. I had it working again, but after playing the 4-in-1, the same problem occured again. I don't know why, but that disc causes the problem. It's like the laser goes all the way back and then gets stuck and then I have to do the same procedure ALL over again! With Q-Tips, I cleaned the gears with alcohol, then applied WD-40 with the Q-tips(since I don't have that red thing, I sprayed it on the Q-Tip). Same situation. I'm stuck in a rut.
    Okay, you need that white lithium grease as a lube. WD-40 is only a short term fix. WD-40 is a good cleaner and a semi-decent lube for moderate household chores, but wreaks havok with electronics, plastics, and anything that gets warm (it can evaporate).
    Currently owned:

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 912 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    Don't use WD-40. Use lithium grease. WD-40 only lubricates for a short time and then actually eats the metal and makes the whole situation worse. I've been working with electronics since the days of VCR repair and you do NOT use WD-40 for this EVER.

Oops. I didn't see the last post by Weapon_Epsilon. He is absolutely correct. WD-40 is bad news for lens assemblies. It is even worse than a quick fix because it will actually cause a jam when it completely dries.
    Last edited by Majestic_Lizard; 08-05-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

If you're lucky the lithium grease will fix things, if you're not the WD40 just ruined it for good.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?