Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a modded Wii last night. Any must-haves for retro gaming?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Got a modded Wii last night. Any must-haves for retro gaming?

I've only spent a small amount of time on the Wii in the past and an opportunity came up to get one that was already modded along with a HDD with a bunch of games. Sure, I wanna play some newer Mario, Zelda, and Metroid stuff, but I'm wondering if there are any must-have apps, games, utilities, etc for retro gaming.

It did come with some previously purchased wii ware like Megaman 9 and 10, and the new retro Castlevania, which is awesome. Oh, and Sonic 4.

My questions are:

1. Any other must-have old school remakes?

2. And how are the emulators?

- Anything that stands out that's above and beyond what the original Xbox can do? I have one of those with a bunch of emulators setup...is it the pinnacle of emulation (outside of a PC) or does the Wii do a better job with some of the tougher to emulate systems like Neo-Geo, CPS2 and CPS3, etc?

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Any other must-have old school remakes?

Not must haves, but the bit trip games are a blast and well worth the money.

2. And how are the emulators?

NES, snes, genesis, and gameboy are outstanding. I love being able to play NES games in their original resolution in s-video.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

I do believe the NES emulator runs a bit fast, and the SNES runs a bit slow, though they're still playable. I haven't tried anything past that since, well, I hate the Wii :P
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool, thanks. The Bit Trip games look pretty decent...Atari-like, actually.

Yeah, there are a lot of Wii haters it seems. I think it has its place in a few genres, though. I'll stick with my 360 for the FPSs and fighters, but I could see myself getting into a few Wii games and using it for emulation...but I do have all the actual retro hardware :-) Plus my son just turned 3, so he'll enjoy the cute games.

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

get Madworld. such a great game
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Cool, thanks. The Bit Trip games look pretty decent...Atari-like, actually.

Yeah, there are a lot of Wii haters it seems. I think it has its place in a few genres, though. I'll stick with my 360 for the FPSs and fighters, but I could see myself getting into a few Wii games and using it for emulation...but I do have all the actual retro hardware :-) Plus my son just turned 3, so he'll enjoy the cute games.
    I just don't care for the motion controls :P

Some must haves IMO are Punch-Out Wii, Mario Kart Wii, and the New SMB Wii.
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

CaveStory. Hop on the Shop Channel and buy that right now. You will not regret it.

Also check out the remake of Klonoa, if you like the idea of 2.5D platformers.

House of the Dead 2+3 Returns is a hell of a lot of retro lightgun fun.

Also remember the Wii is also a Gamecube. Go get Nintendo Puzzle Collection, which was only released in Japan for GameCube.

It contains Dr. Mario 64, a new remake of Yoshi's Cookie and a complete remake of Panel De Pon complete with all the Japanese and girly characters. It's totally worth owning just for Panel De Pon, otherwise known as Tetris Attack, Pokemon Puzzle League, etc.

These suggestions should be more than enough to get you started.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by geezuzkhrist119 View Post
    get Madworld. such a great game
    WORD!

lol you could also buy madworld, its 7 dollars on amazon new
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Load Homebrew Installer on your Wii if you don't have it already. It's basically what it sounds like - installs & updates all your homebrew apps & emulators via wifi (usually updated every week). No roms included but those are easy to find anyway.

The emulators for the Wii are great but make sure you get a classic controller to play them with. You can get by with the wii remote for the NES emualtor but you'll want a CC for pretty much anything else.

I've got a modded Xbox loaded with emulators too but I prefer playing them on my Wii for some reason. I guess it's because I like the classic controller much more than my wireless logitech Xbox controller. Plus Homebrew Installer makes it easy to update and find new emus. There's no SegaCD or TurboCD emulator on Wii though, as well as FBA XXX or a decent MAME emu. And they're all 480p only of course but there's some nice display effects that make them look crisp.

I haven't tried the N64 and PS1 emulators for Wii but I hear they run quite well. The NeoGeo emu is pretty good but it doesn't run all games yet (something to do with memory limitations).
    Last edited by norkusa; 05-02-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys. SM, CaveStory looks great! Madworld looks cool too. The artwork is just amazing in that game. Can't believe you can get it new for $7!

And Klonoa is a game I never played on the PS1 so the remake would be awesome!

Nork, I think there is Homebrew Installer on there. It has Bootmii and priiloader along with a bunch of little tools to installw wads, rip, disks, etc. I'm still clueless since I haven't even played it yet.

Yes, I've played the House of the Dead remakes and they're cool...have to check out the Overkill version...

And I have a classic controller :-) I found one like-new at a yard sale for $3 a couple of months ago and grabbed it, even though I didn't have a Wii :-)

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Must have's for classic gaming?

An original system! I'll be honest, the Wii controllers just don't cut it at all when playing older games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I have almost every console since the Atari 2600 and the Wii classic controller looks pretty good. Have you used it?

Also, there are retro restyled games (like castlvania and megaman) that you can't play on the older systems.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now I have to look into this wii hacking/modding stuff since the lure of S-Video for old systems is quite tempting.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, if you can get past the idea of not using real hardware, running games on an emulator can look awesome. Of course the Wii supports 480p over component too :-)

As a cheaper way to get into it, a modded original xbox is an amazing platform for emulators and it supports component out (up to 1080i). Even with the stock hard drive, you can fit tons of emulators/roms.

If you need one, PM me 'cause I have a few extra :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Must have's for classic gaming?

An original system! I'll be honest, the Wii controllers just don't cut it at all when playing older games.
    There are adapters to use snes, nes, genesis, etc, controllers on wii. I own one and they work great.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, and here is one for $20 shipped from CA that does:

- SNES
    - NES
    - Genesis (and I assume Atari and SMS)
    - N64

http://www.japanvideogames.com/Produ...i-898455678550

Of course, there are PS2 adapters for both the Wii and GC ports that will allow you to use whatever PSX adapter you have (like an X-arcade or the MadCatz classic style PS2 controllers).

For $20 it's a steal, IMO...

Oops! I forgot the link. SM, is this the one you think I should avoid???
    Last edited by Yoder; 05-02-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Oh yeah, forgot to mention those. Get the Retrousb.com Retro Ports. They are NES and SNES to Gamecube adapter ports that will work with a good number of GameCube games (Soul Calibur II, SNK vs Capcom 2, Sonic Mega Collection, Megaman X Collection, etc) as well as any Wii game that supports Gamecube inputs.

I also recommend you get the Mayflash NES/SNES to Wii adapter, especially if you are handy and can do some minor soldering/modding. These are all over ebay and can be found for usually $20 or so. Mayflash make good products.

The difference with this adapter is it plugs directly into the Wiimote, turning NES/SNES controllers into Classic Controllers that will work on anything that supports the Classic Controller.

The problem with the Mayflash adapter is the NES side is a DB-9 Famiclone connector. Not willing to put up with that, I modded mine to support the NES 7 pin standard and wrote a tut on how you can do it yourself.

Here's the link to my tutorial. Sorry the images are temporarily down while I switch servers for them.
    http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2010/04/25/160/

One final thing I should say:
    AVOID the 4 in one white adapters that are sold on ebay and other places. While in theory you'd think such an adapter would be great, they're far worse than the others. They produce input lag and worse yet, they don't map the buttons correctly. Don't waste your money on the 4-in-one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cave Story!

A Boy and his Blob

Super Mario All-Stars

House and the Dead 2 & 3 with those perfect shot controllers.. that is an experience worth the $35 or whatever it costs if you are into "light gun" games... the precision is insanely good.

If you get into emulation or whatever- then the possibilities are.. a lot.
    I'm just mentioning games that you can purchase in the online store, or a real store.
    Last edited by wberdan; 05-02-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Satoshi Matrix, thanks for the input on the controllers and games that go with them. That's super helpful. I saw some of those Mayflash ones on ebay and was thinking about them. Their SNES to USB adapter looks nice too.

So would you recommend I avoid the one here:

http://www.japanvideogames.com/Produ...i-898455678550

That's a bummer, if so.

wberdan, I already have Super Mario All Stars :-) Will check out the Cave Story... I've heard of a Boy and his Blob, but never heard feedback on it. Will check that out too...

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yes, avoid that. It's a total piece of junk, by far the worst adapter I own. I agree with you that's a shame; the idea of an all in one controller adapter sounds great, but this thing doesn't deliver. Like I said, input lag and it doesn't map N64 and Genesis games correctly. Also keep in mind that's a GameCube adapter, not a Wii adapter. In other words, that 4-in-1 thing will ONLY work on most Virtual Console and GameCube games, not on 95% of Wii games and Wiiware games.

Here's the Mayflash adapter I suggest you pick up.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mayflash-Classic-...item27b9d0fa20

It plugs directly into the Wiimote and converts SNES controllers into the Classic controller with no input lag or weird button mapping issues at all. The only problem with it is the NES side doesn't use the typical NES 7pin standard female connector, but rather the DB-9 standard of the Atari 2600/Sega Genesis. Without modding, you'd only be able to use Famiclone controllers with it.

If NES support is important, check out my tutorial in the link in my last post. You can get most NES controllers to work with it, but not the NES Advantage, Zapper or Power Glove (its so bad).