Thread: Xbox 360 third party controller triggers

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Default Xbox 360 third party controller triggers

Looking for some opinions here.

The triggers on the stock 360 controllers are too much for my hands. I keep getting pains in the joints. Had them looked at and it's merely overuse. Just for comparison, plowing through Killzone 3 on the PS3 in a day caused me no problems. It's not a simple matter of "taking a break" because I have deadlines to hit and I do end up in those situations where I need to take an entire game in one, maybe two sessions.

So, I'm looking for another 360 controller that would have "softer" triggers per se that don't require the same amount of force to depress. I don't think there are any out there that mimic the PS3 triggers, but even a middle ground would help.

Help?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They don't have triggers like a SixAxis or Dual Shock 3, but there are Playstation 2 to Xbox 360 controller adapters out there if you liked the way the shoulder buttons of a Playstation 2 pad felt. Looked at reviews of several just now and they seemed favorable.

I would think one would work good as long as you don't mind using wired controllers (Although perhaps they work with wireless PS2 controllers) and don't want to play racing games. The lack of true triggers on a PS2 controller might be a problem when using one in a racing game like Forza 3.

Also, I don't know how they handle the guide function. Perhaps the guide button is on the adapter or you have to use the guide button on a wired 360 controller plugged into the adapter in order for it to work (The 360 only recognizes official controllers, so this method is often used to skirt around that requirement and I presume any adapter you find would require such)
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-02-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    They don't have triggers like a SixAxis or Dual Shock 3, but there are Playstation 2 to Xbox 360 controller adapters out there if you liked the way the shoulder buttons of a Playstation 2 pad felt. Looked at reviews of several just now and they seemed favorable.

I would think one would work good as long as you don't mind using wired controllers (Although perhaps they work with wireless PS2 controllers) and don't want to play racing games. The lack of true triggers on a PS2 controller might be a problem when using one in a racing game like Forza 3.

Also, I don't know how they handle the guide function. Perhaps the guide button is on the adapter or you have to use the guide button on a wired 360 controller plugged into the adapter in order for it to work (The 360 only recognizes official controllers, so this method is often used to skirt around that requirement and I presume any adapter you find would require such)
    Hmm... this seems like an option. It seems you have to have a wired Xbox 360 controller for them to work, so I would have to pick one up, but this would help. I'll wait and see if anyone else has a more direct option, but if not, this will work nicely.

Thanks!

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    Looking for some opinions here.

The triggers on the stock 360 controllers are too much for my hands. I keep getting pains in the joints. Had them looked at and it's merely overuse. Just for comparison, plowing through Killzone 3 on the PS3 in a day caused me no problems. It's not a simple matter of "taking a break" because I have deadlines to hit and I do end up in those situations where I need to take an entire game in one, maybe two sessions.

So, I'm looking for another 360 controller that would have "softer" triggers per se that don't require the same amount of force to depress. I don't think there are any out there that mimic the PS3 triggers, but even a middle ground would help.

Help?

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Tourname...4391423&sr=1-1

these were designed for fps & proffesional gamers who need every edge they can get, so the face buttons on these controllers were shaved down to create a shorter throw distance, i heard it feels like a mouse click so get faster response but what youre looking is the same reason i ended up passing on these lol, they did the same thing in a sense to the triggers what they did with the face buttons, the whole point is to give you faster response but in doing so they reduced the triggers resistance which i guess is what youre looking for

give em a shot i guess, razr makes good shit
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I got the Razer Onza Tournament Edition 2 weeks ago at Best Buy (It's been sold out everywhere since release). I say this with no hyperbole...it's simply the best controller I've ever used for FPS's. The only negative I can come up with is: it's wired. It's a sturdy, braided wire...but it's still attaches me to the 360 in 2011.

I recommend reading a few of the better reviews out there (do reviewers read reviews?). In short: This thing rocks...

Awesome triggers (shortened pull...fricken' amazing for semi-auto weapons)
    Rubberized material (very firm grip)
    Lightweight (no battery)
    Fast, low profile mouse-like clicky buttons
    Adjustable, rubber-tip thumbsticks
    Programmable shoulder buttons

The original 360 controller feels like a fat, slow, squishy mess after using the Onza T.E. after 2 weeks. I've recommenced this to all my friends I play online with and have contemplated buying another while they're still available.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I read a review from IGN I believe that wasn't completely favorable of it. I'm not sure if that is one of the "better" reviews since it didn't heap universal praise upon it, but it doesn't appear that it is quite knocking the socks off of everyone that trys one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I watched a bunch of reviews last night, and after FINALLY finding one that even mentioned the triggers (seriously people, this is an important aspect), they didn't really say whether they has less resistance, just that they register a little quicker.

So, @heybtbm can you give a percentage (roughly) on how easier they are to push down than the stock?

And yeah, we read reviews all the time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

open the stock controller up and fuss about with the springs or replace them with another spring of your liking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

?

This post isn't showing up.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 05-04-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

So, @heybtbm can you give a percentage (roughly) on how easier they are to push down than the stock?
    They're slightly easier to pull...even though the resistance feels about the same. The difference is in the design. The Razer triggers are longer and curve out at a sharper angle (I'm sure you've seen the pictures by now). You have to use a different part of your finger to pull (more tip than top joint). The result is a noticeably shortened pull which feels easily 50% less than the stock 360 trigger pull. You'll notice the advantage to this when you fire a semi-auto. The M16A2 in Battlefield is now embarrassingly quick...I can pop off a magazine of 3 round bursts easily twice as fast as before.

New potential issue for some: Last night confirmed what I had been suspecting for the past few Battlefield sessions. Single round, rapid-fire weapons are a challenge with this trigger. I had to "re-train" my trigger pull cadence (for lack of a better term) when firing things like the MP-443 pistol. Pulling the Razer trigger like the old 360 stock controller trigger resulted in a slight lag after the third shot. Potentially a "deadly" in-game mistake. Like I said it took a few games, but eventually my fingers found the sweet spot (ahem) and the lag disappeared.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

I watched a bunch of reviews last night, and after FINALLY finding one that even mentioned the triggers (seriously people, this is an important aspect), they didn't really say whether they has less resistance, just that they register a little quicker.

And yeah, we read reviews all the time.

i just got mine in, i can tell you that the triggers have a very noticeable difference in ease of pulling down, i kinda almost dont like it, its almost like there is no spring behind the trigger when you pull it down, but for driving games where the triggers are used as throttle and brake i think this is really going to save my fingers some strain that usually comes with prolonged play time holding those triggers down
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."